What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm salary cap scandal thread

bileduct

Coach
An interesting article from the past

John Ribot and the Melbourne Storm in contract furore over Cam Smith

By Matt Marshall
December 03, 2008

EXPLOSIVE allegations have emerged that Melbourne secretly commissioned John Ribot to broker Cameron Smith's new contract to elude the salary cap.
In a development sure to attract interest from NRL auditor Ian Schubert, Smith's former manager Jim Banaghan alleges Storm CEO Brian Waldron instructed him to deal exclusively with Ribot earlier this year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24742113-23214,00.html

lzd

Juniors
I was devastated when the Bulldogs cheated and were stripped of their points. I feel so sorry for the Melbourne fans and the Storm players. I am so disappointed and angry myself, as I really want to see RL grow beyond NSW & Qld. I had great hopes this year for RL in Melbourne, especially with the opening of the new stadium. I hope the Storm can survive this... the NRL needs them to survive.

The biggest difference between this and the bulldogs, for mine, is the timing. The bulldogs were dumped to last with three games left in the season. Plenty of other teams were already thinking about mad monday and next year. The bulldogs joined the queue, everyone moved up a spot, and the season carried on as normal.

This time round, aside from possibly the Sharks, there are no teams with nothing to play for this far out in 2010. The ramifications for the rest of the year are tremendous.

Iafeta

Referee
yawn...

The salary cap is a joke and everyone knows it. It's been rorted by EVERY club for years. Only reason this latest breach has come to light is because Melbourne weren't very clever about it - and a disgruntled ex-employee seized his chance.

Looking at the bigger picture the sums of money involved are pathetically small. I mean $1.7 million over five years. Wow. That's less than a quarter of Wayne Rooney's annual salary in the UK premier league - and less than one percent of Chelsea's annual player budget. The whole debate makes Rugby League look pathetically provincial and small-time.

The NRL should just declare a salary cap amnesty and devise a new system for trying to keep the competition even - possibly involving a player ranking system.

And under your short-sighted Gus'd up idea, have about 5-6 clubs fold because they do try and stay within their means and simply cannot afford to go dollar for dollar with other clubs, or, go over their means trying to compete and go insolvent, leaving players without a job. Fantastic.

What you also fail to realise and put into your discussion is the revenues that fund the Premier League clubs and their players. The Premier League is a global phenomena; it has sold media rights for massive amounts all over the world. Merchandise for some clubs in some Asian countries would easily out-do the NRL alone globally. All told, the Premier League clubs for the most part stick within their means (however, if you look at the likes of Portsmouth that isn't always true), and their means are absolutely massive and thus they are the world game. Where do you find the money to relax all the economic restrictions of the salary cap AND STILL sustain a 15-16 team competition that we need to build media rights moneys, sponsorship moneys, by way of penetrating as many different key strategic markets as possible????

The only model I can see working is the current salary cap model, with some slight tweeks. The salary cap should not be changed because 3-5 executives at the Storm decided to do deceitful, perhaps even criminal acts. That would be like relaxing murder laws to allow .001% of the population to achieve their wants.

cupid

Juniors
According to one of the posts over at the MWSE forum is that Rothfield said there was another club about to be busted by the Nrl who are 800k over the cap, a Sydney club.

Day 2 and still feeling like faeces...

Gutted to say the least and a lot of thoughts going through my head...why have the likes of Cam Smith, Cronk and Slater not faced the media and led from the front to give the players perspective on this and give the fans some hope ??.

Waldron killed my club and the other fans that were there, week in, week out...

I hope the club pulls through but it is not looking rosy...if they go, I will not support another club..

Iafeta

Referee
If it's any consolation Kia Ora, you and I have had our fair share of player debates on here, but I do feel genuinely sympathetic for you and your fellow fans. I know how much passion you in particular from our posts has in your club and that alone makes the whole thing stink to high heavens.

40/20

Juniors
Am i the only one wondering why the architecs of the cap cheating had all of these illegal deals written on paper let alone keeping them on the premises

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Am i the only one wondering why the architecs of the cap cheating had all of these illegal deals written on paper let alone keeping them on the premises

No, I was thinking that too. The fact that the papers were just found like that by auditors seems odd too.

Brutus

Referee
Day 2 and still feeling like faeces...

Gutted to say the least and a lot of thoughts going through my head...why have the likes of Cam Smith, Cronk and Slater not faced the media and led from the front to give the players perspective on this and give the fans some hope ??.

Waldron killed my club and the other fans that were there, week in, week out...

I hope the club pulls through but it is not looking rosy...if they go, I will not support another club..

I feel sorry for you buddy and I don't blame you for not supporting another club.

To be punished so harshly in retrospect and into the future must be soul destroying.

I feel sorry for you buddy and I don't blame you for not supporting another club.

To be punished so harshly in retrospect and into the future must be soul destroying.

The punishments I agree with...the betrayal and fraudulent actions of some puny bloody suit wearing smart ass bean counters dodging the books is what I can't cop...

Waldron and his fellow parasites need to be held accountable...

Hmmm...I must be going into the "anger" stage of the grief process.

Brutus

Referee
The punishments I agree with...the betrayal and fraudulent actions of some puny bloody suit wearing smart ass bean counters dodging the books is what I can't cop...

Waldron and his fellow parasites need to be held accountable...

Hmmm...I must be going into the "anger" stage of the grief process.

Yes, the AFL scumbag must go down.

Latest posts