What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Structure of NSWRL and CRL Comps going forward

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The ARLC will surely look at the set up of country and metro footy if they are not already. Does anyone have any ideas of what a reorganisation or new structure might look like? Greame Hughes on 2SM has hinted they are looking at it currently and changes will happen but am interested to see how forumers perceive problems and solutions

One thing i have thought of is that could district football be scrapped in favour of a combination of regional and divisional leagues across the metro area? The geography of sydney is huge so i would imagine juniors would remain district based up to a point. IMO would create more balanced divisions which may herald the comeback or creation of new clubs at senior level if small clubs are not being dominated like they are in district senior competition.

siv

First Grade
Scrap the NSW-CRL - its irrelevant

Everyone should play under the NSWRL banner or even all under the ARL banner

I would prefer to see NRL clubs establish a Reserve Grade structure

Then the old NSW Cup non NRL aligned clubs, stronger Bundy Cup clubs and NSW Counry Divisional sides not represenetd in teh NRL form a new NSW Cup comp

With all clubs given $250K grants to run their team

They want to merge the NSWRL and the CRL, but the CRL wants 50% representation and the NSWRL refuse to give it. So it won't happen.

As for country sides playing NSW Cup, give us $250,000 and we'll spend it. But it won't be playing in the bloody NSW Cup.

In a whole heap of ways. But not on a NSW Cup team. What a waste when there are so many other things that need attention like rego fees, admin costs, promotion of the game, the development of new clubs etc etc. Plus it's not feasible for most country regions to run a state cup side, whether the money is handed over or not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A small issue but would be nice to see one unified ARL logo worn on shirts with each comp/organising body incorporated individually into it for every level of the game in every part of the country.

mono_mal

Juniors
Regarding Sydney metropolitan senior rugby league I think a restructure is definitely worth consideration. The ICCC has shown the benefits of a divisional structure and provided competitive fixtures across the 3 divisions.

Currently the ICCC competition involves the St George, Balmain, Canterbury and Western Suburbs Districts whilst South Sydney/Easts, Penrith, Parramatta,Cronulla and Manly/Norths conduct their own competitions with mixed success.

I'd like to see divisions established within Sydney for senior rugby league that would allow the continuation of local fixtures whilst increasing participation by creating a greater range of opportunities for players of mixed abilities to participate. Such a format would provide high quality senior football and provide a great pathway to semi-pro football ie. Sydney Shield, Bundy Cup, Nsw Cup.

Eg.

Western Suburbs: Parra, Penrith
South West: Canterbury, Wests
Central: Souths, Easts, Balmain
South: St George, Cronulla
North: North Sydney, Manly

Latest posts