What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp Stadium set to host NRL grand final

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25116287-10389,00.html

Suncorp Stadium set to host NRL grand final
Article from: The Courier-Mail

Karl deKroo, Paul Malone

February 28, 2009 12:00am

QUEENSLAND'S insatiable appetite for rugby league is proving increasingly difficult to ignore, with NRL boss David Gallop giving his strongest indication yet that a Brisbane-based grand final is on the cards.

Strong crowd and corporate support, not only of the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys, but also all representative matches - and in particular last year's World Cup - has prompted the NRL to consider playing the grand final outside Sydney for the first time in the code's 100-year history.

"In January we received a letter from Premier Anna Bligh indicating Queensland's strong interest in hosting the grand final," Gallop said last night.

"I wrote back explaining we are under contract with the NSW Government and ANZ Stadium until 2012.

"But after that, taking the grand final to Brisbane simply must be a consideration.

"Given the very strong interest we saw over the World Cup and the ongoing success the game is experiencing in Queensland, playing a grand final at Suncorp Stadium would appear to be an attractive opportunity.

"I wouldn't imagine the NSW Government would want to lose the grand final and that puts rugby league in a strong bargaining position."

The Queensland Government is wary of entering a bidding war for rugby league's showpiece, but Gallop's public acknowledgement of Brisbane's strong claims was welcomed by the Premier's Department last night.

The NRL's 16 clubs will finalise their preparations for the new season today with trials being played across the country.

For Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer, his personal road to rugby league redemption starts at Stockland Park, Caloundra where he will lead the Broncos against Melbourne.

The Broncos skipper endured disappointment at the end of 2008 with his club's last-minute finals elimination by the Storm and Australia's World Cup loss.

Bookending a State of Origin series which Lockyer was unable to play in due to a knee injury, it was as frustrating as his 2006 season had been fulfilling.

"I see every year as being a time with a premiership on the line - the Broncos always give ourselves a chance of winning," Lockyer said.

"I struggled for a week or two after the World Cup final. You sort of dwell on it, but eventually say to yourself, 'You solve nothing being sad about it. Next year is all you've got'.

"You learn from your losses and when you lose a big game like that and the Melbourne game, the game goes through your head and you learn from some of the things you could have done differently.

"You have to know that if you are in that situation, you can draw on it and get it right."

The Broncos finalised preparations with a slick training session at Carina.

Prop Aaron Sweeney passed a fitness test and will line up against the Storm

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Its not about bums on seats, its an acknowledgment of the strong support QLD gives RL.

Why does QLD deserve it more than us though?

You don't see the AFL moving their GF from the G to AAMI/Subi just to acknowledge that their respective states supports RL...

Wembley hosts the FA Cup every year and it doesn't need to be moved to Old Trafford cause the Mancs love football..

OVP

Coach
Criminal. The NRL board should be locked up. Along with their Newsfilth brothers.

brad_19

Juniors
Rediculous... why prevent up to 30k from being able to buy tickets?? To Sydneysiders out there, don't take this the wrong way, but I love it how I can still buy GF tickets at the start of GF week, as the fact I live in Melbourne means I can't commit to going each year unless we make it. If the GF was in Brisbane, it would sell out in about 4 seconds and make purchasing last minute tickets virtually impossible! f**k off Brisbane.

Nuke

Staff member
Has to stay in Sydney. The points raised above are very good and very valid ones. Yes, Brisbane has gotten more people to regular club games and test matches in recent years, but the Grand Final has either sold out or gone close enough to it every year, so why take that away from Sydney? Sydney has done nothing wrong as far as Grand Finals go, so I don't feel Sydney deserves to have it taken away from it.

I have no problems with the majority of test matches being played in Brissy, but in my opinion, Grand Finals should remain in Sydney.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Courier Mail/El D should really consider their headlines. "set to host"? Nothing's been agreed to, at all.

The reasons why it should not move have been outlined countlessly already this morning. And why the f**k is Anna Bligh writing letters about football games when half her state is under water? :?

RL1908

Bench
Why can't both Sydney and Brisbane, as well as RL, and us fans, all be winners from this? The game should be trying to get money out of both state governments, and trying to keep fans in both cities provided with marquee matches.

It doesn't make sense to have Sydney/NSW and Brisbane/QLD bidding all-or-nothing for the NRL Grand Final. As the game did with Origin in 1980, some new opportunities need to be sought out and tested, to create new marquee matches.

Why not embrace the Qld govt's financial offer, and convince them that RL can create an alternative "Grand Final".

As an initial sweetener, give Suncorp a NRL preliminary final each year, and then use the QLD govt offer to help fund an annual Challenge Cup competition, ending it with a (Grand) Final to be played at Suncorp in late August every year.

It could be a double-header too, with the last two non-NRL clubs to be knocked out of the Cup playing on the undercard for another trophy/prize.

I'm sure the Perth Reds and North Sydney/CC Bears would welcome the chance to take on NRL clubs along the way.

Everyone knows the NRL clubs will squeal at first, but if it can be shown to bring in more money, than how can they argue against it under the current economic climate?

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
It's hard to tell what is the biggest laugh here......the grand final would leave Sydney or Giddy Up Gallop himself.:lol:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Jesus you Sydneysiders are a precious lot...
"I wouldn't imagine the NSW Government would want to lose the grand final and that puts rugby league in a strong bargaining position."

Going by the above quote it just looks like they'll be asking for a bigger deal from ANZ after the current contract expires. I can see them moving a preliminary final to Brisbane permanently too, which'd be good.

LeagueNut

First Grade
If they add another 30,000 seats to Suncorp.
Probably a stupid question, but is this an option?

If Suncorp (or any other stadiums in Qld?) had capacity for 80k-85k then I can't see it being a problem.

Agree that moving a Preliminary Final up there is a good idea too.

shiznit

Coach
why is it suh a big thing to move it away from sydney?? its the NRL. not the NSWRL. it would be great if it could get to the stage like the NFL or the champions league that you have a number of areas bid for it.

i really dont think it matters where it is... it will sell out... you can make it kind of like a superbowl week where the host city really makes a big week out of it... street parades etc...

sure Australia/NZ arent as big as the USA or Europe but they could still have it in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth & Auckland.