What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 14 2007

Timbo

Staff member
OK I'm trying to find out whats happening next year, but there's a scarcity of information, can anyone confirm or deny the following:

1-The Southern Spears have been punted and the Cats will keep the spot they were slated to lose.
2-AB players won't be turning out for their sides.
3-The competition will be starting in January (obscenely early, what happened to footy starting in April).

Anyone know?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the AB players are only missing any lead up games to the WC, as I understand

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
All Blacks to be rested during Super 14

The New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) has announced approximately 22 All Blacks will miss half of next year's Super 14, as they take part in an intensive World Cup conditioning program.

The controversial plan will keep the players out of the first seven rounds of the Super 14 and test the depth of New Zealand rugby union.

"We want to give the All Blacks the best possible chance of winning the Rugby World Cup," NZRU chief executive Chris Moller said in a statement.

"It is critical that our top players have the opportunity to prepare in the right way so that they are in the best shape of their lives when they get to France."

Leading All Blacks will take part in individually tailored programs geared to have them in peak physical and mental shape for the World Cup campaign in France.

"Sports science research and our coaches tell us that the players need a continuous window when they can do the necessary physical conditioning work without the rigours of playing top level rugby at the same time," Mr Moller said.

After reviewing past World Cup campaigns and available sports science advice, it was decided to conduct the conditioning work from January to April.

The 22 players will be named after this year's Tri-Nations championship.

The All Blacks have two matches to play, both against South Africa, although they wrapped up the title on Saturday with a 34-27 win over the Wallabies in Auckland.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry said player welfare remained a key issue and the conditioning program was a response to the demands of Test match rugby union and the desire to have the team in peak condition for the World Cup.

-AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200608/s1719307.htm

bayrep

Juniors
The 22 AB's only miss the first 7 games of next years S14. From what I heard though they will be doing conditioning work while they arent playing.

As for the Spears being dumped. I thought they were still in. But from next season the bottom SA S14 side would be dropped from the comp and another team promoted from SA.

the last i heard was the spears got dumped by the south african rugby to not join the 2007 super 14 but they (southern spears) got a court ruling to reverse that.

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/articles/2006/08/07/1154802818624.html

down the bottom:
And in Super 14 news the Southern Spears have won their court case for inclusion in next year's tournament at the expense of the lowest-placed South African side, the Cats.

The SARU may yet appeal the decision, handed down in the high court after the Spears contested a change in direction by the governing body that saw an original deal for inclusion overturned. The inclusion of the Spears has been attacked by Sharks backline coach David Campese, who believes the side will "get a hiding every game".

crusader-eel

Juniors
Does anyone know when they release the draw for next year?

I'm hoping the Crusaders play the Waratahs in Sydney later in the season or most my my favourite plays won't be there.

novacastrian_panther said:
has the draw been released?

i have looked for it but i carn't find it. i have heard ewen mckenzie say they was playing the cats or the southern spears first up so they wanted to know who they was playing. and on inside rugby they said queensland reds was playing all the kiwi teams in first 7 games.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
i have looked for it but i carn't find it. i have heard ewen mckenzie say they was playing the cats or the southern spears first up so they wanted to know who they was playing. and on inside rugby they said queensland reds was playing all the kiwi teams in first 7 games.

The reds will have a good run next year.
Waratahs + Brumbies + Force + Reds = Top 4.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Should be funny if it ends up in court. Did the nzru have a clause written into their contract with news ltd allowing them to rest players for the sole reason of putting them in cotton wool prior to the wc? If not lots of luck u gunna need it. Maybe the 'silly old sheila' can provide her usual insightful comments on the issue.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3777864a1823,00.html

Henry's ABs rest plan sparks Murdoch fury
27 August 2006

The New Zealand Rugby Union's decision to remove 22 All Blacks from the first half of next year's Super 14 has led the union towards a legal showdown with media giant News Ltd.
A spokesman for Rupert Murdoch's company said the NZRU would be in breach of the broadcasting contract with News Ltd if those 22 players didn't take the field.
The NZRU agreed to rest the players as part of Graham Henry's master plan to win the Rugby World Cup next year.
Murdoch's all-powerful organisation was critical of the plan earlier this week but the relationship appears to have deteriorated badly since then, with News Ltd corporate affairs director Greg Baxter slamming the NZRU.
"It's pretty black and white. It's a breach of the contract," he said.
"We were not even consulted and we are not happy about it."
News Ltd paid the southern hemisphere partnership of New Zealand, Australia and South Africa (Sanzar) $664m to broadcast the tournament from 2006 to 2010 - money that keeps New Zealand rugby afloat.

A legal stoush could be disastrous for rugby. News Ltd pays the NZRU on a quarterly basis and, if it believed there was a breach of contract, it could withhold payment. That would force the NZRU to wrestle with Murdoch's legal team to prove the legality of its plan.
When NZRU chief executive Chris Moller formally announced the decision, he said all relevant stake holders had been consulted. It's now obvious Moller didn't call the most important player, News Ltd.
Moller, speaking from Pretoria last night, said: "We've taken legal advice to make sure our situation is the correct one.
"The obligation is to make sure the pre-eminent players are available. Through the (All Blacks) rotation policy we have been playing other players and we didn't go to News in respect to that. We take a view it's not a dissimilar exercise."
News clearly disagrees. "I don't think (Moller's) logic stacks up at all," Baxter said.

ozbash

Referee
the nzrfu would be pretty sure of their facts before making the decision to keep the 22 players out of S14.

I wonder who moaned ? you,d think the aussie and SA franchises would be very happy the All Blacks were not playing.

shiznit

Coach
i know how to fix it... schedule 1 more match at the end of the year against a crap team like spain and play our 'F' team. play a side made up of northland, southland, counties & hawkes bay. then say youve 'dropped' 22 players.

i dont know what it matters anyway... even with 22 of our best missing our sides will carve up. the Air NZ CUP is showing we could probably add another 2 kiwi sides in the competition and they would be competitive.

im hope the NZRFU win because i cant stand news limited. they have an iron grip on the NRL which lets them buly rugby league around.

i think theyre going to find out you cant buly the NZRFU. i heard on radio sport today if worse comes to worse and news doesnt pay the NZRFU the govt. can cover loss of earnings under a company created to run RWC2011.