What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 14 Team-Good For The Storm?

Anonymous

Juniors
From Austadiums.com

»Melbourne Super-14 venue a chance

The Victorian Government has thrown its weight behind Melbourne's bid for the fourth Australian team in an expanded Super 14 competition by exploring the viability of developing a "boutique" venue for rectangular-field football codes.

Justin Madden, the Sport Minister, said the Government was preparing an economic impact study into the development of a world-class, 25,000-seat stadium that would cater for elite rugby union, rugby league and soccer teams in Melbourne.

He said the Government's commitment would considerably strengthen the Victorian Rugby Union's attempts to win the nationwide battle to host the Super 14 team.

Madden said the decision would ease doubts about what he saw as the only weakness in an otherwise compelling Victorian case. "We think we've got all of the other competitive edges relatively covered," he said. "The positioning (of the bid) is pretty good, but the question mark is around venues.

"We think the opportunity is there to do something significant if all the indicators show it is feasible, and the impact is there and the business case is a legitimate one.

"That's what the discussions certainly are focusing on at the moment, as to what value the Government can bring to venue options and training-venue options."

Madden said the study would look to cover "a gap in the market" between the 55,000-seat Telstra Dome and the "tired" facilities available at the 17,000-seat Olympic Park and soccer's Bob Jane Stadium.

The Government will consider former VFL/AFL venues such as Punt Road Oval and Optus Oval in its study, but it is likely the most viable option will be Olympic Park, which has been home to Melbourne Storm for all but one season since 1998.

The Storm's new chief executive, Brian Waldron, says the redevelopment of Olympic Park is critical to the club's ambition to improve its share of the Melbourne market, and he has welcomed the potential involvement of a Victorian Super 14 team and a new Melbourne-based premier league soccer team in pushing the cause.

Although Madden would not comment on the relative strength of the case for redeveloping Olympic Park, he said the combined commitment of the rugby codes and soccer could prove pivotal. "I see this as a great opportunity to bring together a critical mass to enhance what we already do in the state, and that particularly provides a critical mass that might support a business case for the development of a boutique stadium that would support the likes of Super 14 and other sports that would use that facility," he said.

Madden said the Government would be reviewing the means by which it could add further weight to the VRU's submission. The Australian Rugby Union is expected to offer a formal invitation early this week for parties to submit their cases. The winning bid is expected to be announced in early December.

Melbourne is believed to be in a two-way battle with Perth, although sources indicated a syndicate from the NSW Central Coast, headed by advertising man John Singleton, is creating interest.

Madden said the Government was determined that the VRU bid was seen by the ARU as very much a bid by the state, not just the rugby organisation.

DIEHARD

----
Hopefully the Storm can hook up with an APL soccer club and redevelope Olympic Park, great atmosphere and location. A redeveloped OP is the future.

A union club would just cut into the Storm's market. It wont happen anyway, the Union can't afford it and News Ltd wont be interested.

Surandy

Bench
If the result is to redevelop OP then they seriously need to get rid of the athletic track. Rugby League is best viewed up close.

ash the bash

Juniors
It needs a major upgrade...
1)The tracks need to go..
2)Have some stands near the ingoal area's, from watching on the teli, dosen't look like much of a stand at the ends of the ground...
3)????Not sure about this but how are the corporate facitlities at OP???

simostorm

Bench
3)????Not sure about this but how are the corporate facitlities at OP???

Worst ive seen, OP needs a makeover, Waldron should bring in the "Queer eye" guys to start off with. :lol:

Hoggy

Bench
The corporate facilities in the Western Grandstand are actually pretty good having seen them up close.

DIEHARD

----
Super 14 gig down to two
By Wayne Smith and Bret Harris
October 19, 2004

THE race for the fourth Australian Super 14 team seems certain to be reduced to front-runners Melbourne and Perth today, with the NSW Central Coast and Queensland Gold Coast bids likely to be placed in the 'too-hard' basket.

An Australian Rugby Union spokesman yesterday confirmed key Victorian Rugby Union officials Ron Steiner and Bill Gillies and WA Rugby's chief executive Rick Smith will meet the ARU in Sydney today for "an information session".

They will learn the criteria the national body will use to determine the venue of the fourth Australian team in the expanded Super 14 series starting in 2006.

The main complicating factor for the Central Coast and Gold Coast bids is that they would have to be driven by their respective state unions.

This would put the QRU or the NSWRU in the position of setting up a rival team to their existing Reds or Waratahs teams.

The new franchise, wherever it is based, will have to build a team from scratch, which would involve recruiting about 30 senior players and putting in place a development college to bring on younger footballers.

The ARU is in the process of drawing up a list of Brumbies, Waratahs and Reds coming off contract next year, as well as of overseas-based Australian free agents.

Yet, tempting as it might be for the ARU to channel extra support into the fourth team to ensure its success, all indications are the new team can expect no real favours from the national body beyond whatever assistance the ARU's commercial, marketing, communications and high performance operations can provide.

In terms of filling its coaching and playing roster, the new team will receive no more than the $4.3 million the ARU allocates to the three existing teams.

Former Wallabies winger Ben Tune, touted as a possible captain of a Melbourne Super 14 team if Victoria wins the bid, indicated yesterday he would not reject outright any approaches, but said he would not leave Ballymore if the Queensland Rugby Union wanted him.

"I think every player would say they'll keep their options open and have a look, but the QRU have been extremely supportive and loyal to me and if they want me, I will stay," Tune said.

Ironically, Tune nominated Perth as his preferred location for the new team, claiming it could more conveniently be slotted into the Super 14 program for teams travelling to and from South Africa.

"And I can't imagine News Limited (publishers of The Australian and the financial underwriters of the current Super 12 competition) wanting to pay, or part-pay for a (Melbourne) team that's going to compete with a (NRL) team (the Storm) they own anyway," Tune said.

Tune, once regarded as the world's best winger, likened himself to a new kid at school when he resumed training with the Reds yesterday as he attempts to claw his way back to the rugby heights after undergoing reconstructive surgery on both knees to alleviate the symptoms of chronic patella tendonitis.

The 27-year-old 46-Test veteran has not played since the 2003 Super 12 season in which, by his own admission, he struggled.

"To be honest, I didn't deserve to be there," he said. "Physically, I wasn't up to it."

That explains why he has signed only a six-month training contract with the Reds, to run from January to June.

Not a word about the fact that NEWS LTD still has to OK the sanzar proposal to expand let alone talking about where the damn team will go!

borat

Bench
Melbourne in box seat
By Rupert Guinness
October 20, 2004

MELBOURNE has closed in on Perth in the battle for Australia's fourth Super 14 team because funding is ranked higher than a strong community rugby base on the criteria shortlist.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that community rugby rates third in the Australian Rugby Union's three-point criteria to be unveiled today.

With Melbourne and Perth now the only candidates to contest the franchise, this will bring smiles to the Victorian Rugby Union, which has had a weaker grassroots rugby base compared to Western Australia.

"There is less weighting on community rugby," a senior source revealed yesterday.

"The feel is Perth is still right up there, but this will help Melbourne who don't have the same grassroots level as Perth."

The ARU's two most important criteria are: player welfare and rugby performance, and commercial sustainability.

It went under final ARU board review yesterday, but its basic outline is as follows:

* Player welfare and rugby performance: This includes the ability for players to relocate and settle into a new environment.

Performance would depend on team placing and player standards in Super 14, and effects on the Wallabies program.

The ease of personal travel, accessibility to Wallaby camps, individual and family accommodation, and to support organisations like hospitals, medical services and tertiary education.

* Commercial sustainability: State Government support for the franchise in dollars and policy.

What is vital is the potential commercial revenue from sponsorship, and merchandise, membership and ticket sales.

Also important are the broadcasting facilities at a home stadium and the value in dollars and timing for match coverage they bring to Super 14.

* Community rugby: Numbers making up the grassroots base reflect the potential support base of the franchise.

They also provide a sign of rugby development possibilities throughout the region.

The Daily Telegraph

If Melbourne do get the Super 14 franchise this will hurt the Storm won't it? Both teams would cut into each others market wouldn't they? I posted this here because I wanted to hear what storm suppporters honestly think about it rather than in the NRL forum where I would get a bevy of responses from Storm haters.

Surandy

Bench
borat said:
If Melbourne do get the Super 14 franchise this will hurt the Storm won't it? Both teams would cut into each others market wouldn't they? I posted this here because I wanted to hear what storm suppporters honestly think about it rather than in the NRL forum where I would get a bevy of responses from Storm haters.

I'm undecided as to what it will do to Storm's crowds.

Negative: It will compete with Storm for crowds.

Positive: Greater chance that Melbourne will get a state of the art rectangular stadium.

It'll be interesting to know when a Super 14 season would start and finish. If it's similar to Super 12 then there'd only be some overlap meaning that in the latter part of the NRL season supporters of the Super 14 team may likely come to Storm home games for their fix.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm clearly not from Melbourne so perhaps someone in the know could tell me, what's the better option and why? Redeveloping Olympic Park (which couldn't be done untill after the Commonwealth Games) or Redeveloping Bob Jane Stadium? Or is there a third option?

Hoggy

Bench
Olympic clearly.

Bob Jane is in South Melbourne which is a bit of a merkin to get to whereas everyone knows where Olympic is.

borat

Bench
Surandy said:
borat said:

I'm undecided as to what it will do to Storm's crowds.

Negative: It will compete with Storm for crowds.

Positive: Greater chance that Melbourne will get a state of the art rectangular stadium.

It'll be interesting to know when a Super 14 season would start and finish. If it's similar to Super 12 then there'd only be some overlap meaning that in the latter part of the NRL season supporters of the Super 14 team may likely come to Storm home games for their fix.

If the seasons don't clash then it may have the opposite effect and generate more interest and support for the Storm. The way I see it from a marketing perspective is that the Storm biggest problem is getting the Melbourne public to show some interest in a sport other than AFL. AFL dominates the media and the public interest and is therefore hard for the Storm to get the middle ground AFL supporter to look at something else.
Its these middle of the road supporters that are most likely to give RL a chance.

So if Melbourne does get a Super 14 team the interest that generates may get alot of people to think outside of AFL. You may not see much competition between union and league because Union will be targeting the AFL market just as much as league. I also think that Joe Average Melbournian won't differentiate much between union and league because its all new to them anyway and is similar. The key here would be for league and union to cross promote, Joint ticket promotions, joint media activities etc. If both teams are owned by News this will definitely happen.

When the Swans started the biggest problem they faced was to get people to show some ineterest in something other than league. Once they gave it a chance it took off and now has a very stable high supporter base. The Superleague war also did alot to disenfranchise league supporters which greatly helped the swans. Maybe the trend towards non-Melbounre AFL teams dominating in recent times and their salary cap dispensations may also disenfranchise some AFL supporters to turn to league.

P.S. I don't mean to offend anyone in this post by generalising or using stereotypes but thats mostly what marketing is about, picking a target market or group etc.

DIEHARD

----
A Melbourne Suerp 14 franchise wont happen. Come on News Ltd haven't even agreed on the proposal for extended tri nations and Duper 14. Have not agreed to keep the same amount of funding let alone give them more money to piss away on a new Australian super 14 team they can't afford or provide talent for.

They can't even get FTA coverage. And Super 12 doesn't even rate anywhere near the crappiest NRL match on foxtel.... Come on...

They are counting theirs eggs before they hatch, I have seen no confirmation from News Ltd about retaining the amount of funding, let alone upgrading. So I see any talk about which damn city will get a stupid union team as being ridiculously pointless.

Craig

Juniors
If Melbourne get a Super 14 would working a deal that they play before the Storm matches (except when they are not in South Africa or playing away obviously) as a 'curtin-raiser' and have the NRL match straight after, and encourage fans to hang around and see another game of footy, which means seeing two games for the price of one ticket work?

The problems I see is that it could mean a raise in ticket prices especially if you come to see only the one game, but may stay for two to get your money's worth.

Hoggy

Bench
Craig said:
If Melbourne get a Super 14 would working a deal that they play before the Storm matches (except when they are not in South Africa or playing away obviously) as a 'curtin-raiser' and have the NRL match straight after, and encourage fans to hang around and see another game of footy, which means seeing two games for the price of one ticket work?

Of course it would, but can you see that happening?

There will be those that hate league and love union and vice versa. How can you expect 2 groups of supporters sitting through the oppositions game? One game will end and half the crowd will walk away.

Plus there would be 4 groups of supporters in Olympic Park at once, how would they all fit in?

Surandy

Bench
In the Melbourne press in the last few days there's been quite a bit of speculation regarding a Melbourne based Super 14 team and possible funding to build/upgrade a ground suitable for sports that use a rectangular field. Since the ARU has confirmed Melbourne as one of the bidders for such a team I have sent an email to my local MP in the Victorian government seeking clarification of just what they plan in regards to the VRU's bid for a Super 14 team.

Here is a copy of the email I sent on Friday night:

Surandy said:
As a sports lover I have been reading with interest the speculation of late regarding the possibility of Melbourne having it's own rugby union team in the expanded Super 12 competition.

I was wanting to know what involvement the Victorian government is planning on undertaking in regards to this bid by the Victorian Rugby Union. Some speculation has centred on the venue that such a team would play at, given the current state of grounds in Victoria I am interested in whether the Vic gov will give serious consideration to a stadium designed specifically for a rectangular playing field? If so what options will the government be looking at for prospective grounds? Ie. Building a new state of the art stadium, converting an existing ground to a rectangular field such as Punt Rd Oval or Optus Oval, or upgrading Olympic Park. If it's the last option, would such an upgrade keep the existing athletic track? I ask this last question about the athletic track as it detracts from the enjoyment of the game by distancing the action from the spectators.

Would there be any benefit for other codes from any measures offered by the Vic gov resulting from the VRU bid? ie. soccer (Melbourne Victory in the APL) and rugby league (Melbourne Storm in the NRL).

In the event that the Vic gov does make offers of assistance in regards to a bid by the VRU and that bid is unsuccessful, what is the likelihood of assistance still being made available to the Melbourne based teams in the APL & NRL?

I know that earlier this year Steve Bracks attended the Melbourne Storm game against the Penrith Panthers, I expect from that occasion that he saw first hand the antiquated facilities at Olympic Park. Ie. no closed circuit tv's outside of the corporate facilities, no working hand dryer in the mens toilets on the eastern side of the ground, etc. Will there be any upgrade to these dilapidated facilities in the near or long term?

I will post any reply I get.

As for funding of a 4th Australian team in the Super 12/14, the ARU have publicly stated that they would provide $4 million per year to any new team, the same amount of funding they provide to existing teams.

I think the S14 team could actually help the Storm.

Not just the Stadium, but also in recognition, it will stamp in that Storm = League, S14 = Union into the collective consciousness.

The most important thing for the Storm is a real TV agreement (that also includes non storm games) and a great stadium to see the action up close. The S14 will just be a silly sideshow ;-) ... I hope :lol:

simostorm

Bench
OP is in a great place, it just needs to be redveloped regardless of whether there is a super 14 team or not.
WIth Goverment funding the OP truss wont care whether you cant have athletics there, as long as the Gov. gives them enough dosh to cover it each year.