What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 8s Proposals

adamkungl

Immortal
I enjoy the Super 8s and Qualifiers. This year has probably been the best of the 3, too.
The two main criticisms that linger around the system are
1. Season too long
2. No reward for the League Leaders after a very long season. League leaders have to win a knockout playoff to even qualify for the Grand Final.
This one stings more in SL than NRL. Firstly because the UK doesn't really have a playoffs culture. Secondly because the SL season is actually based on a fair home/away season. And Thirdly because even in the NRL the Minor Prems/top 4 get a 2nd go should they lose their first playoff.

One idea is to drop the 8s concept entirely and have top 5 playoffs after 23 rounds, and a 4 team relegation round robin with MPG remaining.
But this means yet another format change for a competition that seems to change far too often, and less home game revenue for clubs.

Another idea is to have the Super 8s end with first-past-the-post champions and do away with the playoffs and Grand Final, since the Super 8s are effectively a finals series anyway.
Problem here is that it is hard to see the RFL reverting back from finals and the revenue they bring in after all this time. And because Rugby League lacks a Champions League to qualify for, it's hard to retain interest for those not in the running for 1st. An expanded structure WCC would be interesting and solve this problem but the chance of buy-in from the NRL clubs is sadly low.

So, a good compromise, minor tweak to the current system that fixes one of the larger flaws:
Retain the Super 8s, but give the League Leaders automatic qualification to the Grand Final and a week off.
Teams 2 and 3 play off for the remaining spot.
A big reward for winning the league: an automatic trip to Old Trafford and an extra week for their fans to snap up the majority ticket sales.

To see how this would play out
This year with 2 weeks to play we have 4 teams still in the running for 3rd place.
Last year there was a large gap between 3rd-4th and 5th
2015 similar.

What do you guys prefer

roughyedspud

Coach
We actually had play offs for god knows how long? From 190? To the mid 60s I think? And I reckon we could quickly regrow the play off culture if we stop faffing about playing pointless games...

So a regular season then go straight to top 6 play offs or top 8 if we move to 14 teams

And a bottom 2 v top 2 "super 4s" retaining a 2nd v 3rd £1m game

adamkungl

Immortal
We actually had play offs for god knows how long? From 190? To the mid 60s I think? And I reckon we could quickly regrow the play off culture if we stop faffing about playing pointless games...

So a regular season then go straight to top 6 play offs or top 8 if we move to 14 teams

And a bottom 2 v top 2 "super 4s" retaining a 2nd v 3rd £1m game

Top 5 mate. Best system ever. That'll bring the crowds back.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Bring the season down to 24 matches, increasing attendance (demand > supply) and start playing more int'l matches. Who cares if you beat ireland by 40 at coventry in front of 30k