What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Boring?

dogz08

First Grade
I've seen a few threads on another League forums saying how boring Super League has been this season.. whats your thoughts on this?

Evil Homer

Staff member
The standard does seem to have dropped a bit this year with two new teams and two clear leaders at the top, this wasn't helped by the fact that the likes of Warrington, Hull FC and Bradford had shocking years. I would think it would pick up again next season now that Celtic and Salford have had time to settle in and a few other teams have changed their coaching set ups.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Boring compared to the NRL because it isnt as fast and no where near as athletic. But it has far less structured play then the NRL which can open the field up. However, handling errors or defensive errors are the main reason why the game opens up in Super League, it hardly seems like that the attack earns most of their tries because the defence seems to just hand it to them, compared to NRL standards anyway.

To be honest, I get frusturated watch Super League because of the sub standard its at, but its Rugby League so I love it.

Evil Homer

Staff member
It has been that way this year more than others because the majority of the better teams on paper underperformed. No disrespect to Hull KR and Huddersfield but you would have to say they finished 3rd and 4th because they had the least bad seasons, rather than doing anything amazing. Hopefully next year many more teams will improve and the league will be a lot tighter.

WireMan

Bench
Would they be saints fans by any chance? There the only lot i hear complaining.

We had two new teams in the Challange cup final, new teams challenging in the league, played the game in 5 different countries, some of the established teams struggling, new teams coming through.

I've had fun watching this year, yes some matches have had woeful performances but thats the team on the day not the overall quality on display.

Leeds won, yes they have won three in a row, but the Storm has got to three finals. Eels got to the final despite finishing mid table. The NRL had some ordinary games also.

The NRL has sped the game up this year and its got better, at the same time we have slowed down our play of the ball in an attempt to increase skill levels of our players. Its just part of the evolution of the game.

Teddyboy

First Grade
It's the same old teams and when one week you are watching 20000 at Leeds the next couple of weeks there be 5000 at Wakefield,Huddersfield and Salford.

Lambretta

First Grade
Personally, I thought some of the Super League games this season were more exciting than some of the NRL games I was watching.

There were a few games involving Wigan that were nothing short of heart stopping. In fact, Wigan really improved dramatically over the second half of the season and had their start been better they could have really challenged the top two teams a bit more.

I was disappointed in how Warrington went in the League - I was really expecting more from them - but they won the Challenge Cup so that was pleasing.

The other pleasing thing was the number of talented youngsters that came through this year. Boring? Not on your f**king life.

Ridders

Coach
Tbh I've always enjoyed the pace of the SL, which imo is significantly quicker than an average NRL game. While the quality can be lacking at times, it's still a good spectacle imo.

Then again, the pace might slow down once they learn how to grapple effectively lol.

Titanic

First Grade
Love your commentators, not so much the graphics and camera angles but the standard is good but not as athletic as mentioned above ... more to the point the refereeing can be diabolical... particularly in keeping the 10 metres.

Titanic

First Grade
Mate - even though the surveys don't agree, Rabs Warren is a friggin' mutant. I've had to listen to him since he was a no-name calling Commonwealth Cup when I was still running around. He is bloody hopeless and anything is better than that including muting the tv and Gus not much better

Chook Norris

First Grade
I remember watching a Harlequins game earlier in the year and... pwoah, they were a crap crap team to watch.. i can understand NRL teams hitting it one out as there is a clear purpose, but from what i saw the teams i saw playing gained ground very ineffectively

Most hit ups in the nrl gain roughly 10m, SL seems to gain 6~, and that can be frustrating.. adding to that the skill level, cohesion and 'slickness' of set plays simply wasn't there in that game [Hull v Harlequins]

Unfortunately, there are too many low-quality teams in the SL

as a leeds fan its not been boring but i would say that.
the main problem is that only 2 teams have the squads to last out a full season when injurys kick in , thats leeds and st helens .
i would love to see a more open comp but thats down to the other teams in the league to improve . after all every team has the same salary cap so its not as if leeds and saints have some kind of unfair advantage over other teams .

Latest posts