What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprises 2014

BrotherJim05

Bench
While I exerted a lot of faith that we would be a better team this year, I had no idea we would have started the season this well. There are a few players that have completely surprised me that I wanted to mention:

Bodene Thomson -
I always saw him as an average first grader. Struggling to find his place in the team and really just a depth signing. This year, he has surprised me more than anyone. Solid defender with a strong workhorse mentality. Doesn't do anything flashy but is a real safe bet on the right edge.

Martin Tupau -
I knew he would be good but f**k me I didn't think he would be this good. While his size and aggression helps us immensely, his key value is the way he psyches up the team with his trash talking. I barely remember times where our pack would get in players faces and put fear into the opposition...I think this is something Marty has brought to the table.

James Gavet -
I say this in a positive way, this guy plays like a mongrel...EXACTLY what we needed coming off the bench. I had heard good things about this guy but didn't really pay attention. Similar to Tupau, he just adds aggression and impact. Really liking what I'm seeing.

Many other players are playing outstandingly, but to be honest I'm not overly surprised (I thought that if we started playing well, these would be the key players i.e. Brooks, Farah, Richards etc).
I always had a feeling Teddy would become a superstar and Brooks has continued the form from his debut...so no real surprises there.

Who have you been surprised with this year so far?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't actually think Bodene Thompson has been any different to last year and when Sironen & Paterson are back, Bodene won't make the 17.

Ava has been greatly improved this year

Woods has taken his game to the next level, if he maintains it, then he's a chance for the 4 Nations test squad at the end of the season.

Tedesco's speed has been very surprising

Brooks' improvement in defence, for such a small kid he's got balls and isn't scared to get in and try his arse off in defence, which is so much better than the defence of Benji, Lui and Moltzen we had to constantly put up with. He's willing and eager, with the right coaching, he can become an effective tackler, much like Fulton, who has bugger all size but is one of the best defenders in the comp.

Anasta is improved this year and has started to look like he wants to run the ball, he needs to take the initiative and run the ball more and he become a magnificent option at second receiver.

Blair has finally started to pull his finger out. His workrate is still pretty low, but its better, but best of all, he's running and tackling with some vigour for a change.

Farah has started to show in the last game that he has relinquished the amount of organising he does and allowed Brooks to help run the side, allowing Robbie to play his normal game and he is absolutely dominating out of dummy half now. This is helping our forwards get on top and stay on top.

Tiger05

First Grade
The biggest surprises to me have been Blair and Robbie as well as Taupau and Gavet.

I have Blair down as the worst signing in Tigers history however he has been huge this year. He isn't a worker or a dominant forward however he can fit into the team if the rest of the pack is killing and then he can add something extra to the team. He has made some really good offloads at the right time and his overall game has been great.

Robbie has just been great excluding the two games we lost. I think like Blair he plays best when the pack is going forward. When that happens he has simply played as a great dummy half with some extra skill to his game. When he plays like a dummy half/ number 7 and chief playmaker he just seems to be ordinary.

Taupau and Gavet have just made our pack a really solid unit. They are both big and explosive. They aren't slow grinders.

Lastly Anasta has been decent. I thought he would be terrible and he hasn't been. His defence is good and his kicking game has been good. He isn't a great player and I think Austin might go better than him however Anasta hasn't been poor by any means.

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
Yep . . . you have to agree with all posts.
Anyone who went to the Camden trial got an early peek at what the rest are only now seeing.

Save a bit more surprise to allocate to Austin.
Give him a bit of time to settle in . . . . . then just sit back and enjoy our Wests Tigers as they smash other teams physically, and cut them to shreds thru the middle at the same time.

Brooks and Austin have the real potential to become one of the absolute gun halves pairings in their debut FG season.

We are all learning new words to describe our team . . . . . Depth, Commitment, Defence, Aggression, Dominance.
Austin will be the cherry on top !!

Matchball

Bench
Tapau.
I hadn't seen or heard much about him previously but most on this forum wrote him off when his signing was announced.
Humble pie for some?

DanOz

Juniors
Bodene has been much better this year. Anasta is still a plodder, but a steadying influence, Blair is playing the same as he was at the end of last year - to his potential but nothing special, Taupau and Gavet make a HUGE difference, Woods is playing as well as he was prior to getting injured, Farah is benefiting from the new rules surrounding the ruck, he looks great, and Teddy is living up to the hype. And best of all - a real halfback in Brooks, and a new mentality in the pack where they are DOMINATING! Oh and Sue is a bulked up beast and we finally have structured play and a goal kicker!

magpie guy

Juniors
Have to agree with the posters here. I am super impressed with Tapau and the impact coming from the bench.

Most surprised with the quality of play coming from Richards. I was originally a bit sceptical about whether he was required especially with Koro and a couple of other wingers coming through but he has just been quality. Solid in defence and under the high ball, good finisher and I believe he is kicking goals at about 88%. His kick-off specials have also given us a few gift attacking sets.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Yeah Richards kicking game (funny even though he has zero kicks in general play) adds such a difference. He hasn't actually missed the posts all year. The 3 goals that didn't go in hit the posts...dead eye kicking.

And those spiral kick-offs and line drop outs are insane. That one against Manly in the second half kick off, went so damn high that could have hit an overpassing plane. If memory serves, Gavet ran down the field to get right in Cherry Evans face and he completely shat his pants and knocked on. BOOM right on the attack again.

The difference this year is that the players are all bringing something positive to the team ,while in the past we have had too many players that were deficient in either attack or defence hindering our chances to compete.

spearby

Juniors
could the success we are having be because the club is happy at the moment board settled ceo happy coaching staff working as one players playing for one and other no pet players telling the coach what to do I like it go west tigers

Tigers Tale

Juniors
The difference this year is that the players are all bringing something positive to the team ,while in the past we have had too many players that were deficient in either attack or defence hindering our chances to compete.

This is a good point. The enthusiasm all the new players, particularly Tapau and Gavet are displaying, it is rubbing off on all the others. I'd like to see BMM in this pack, I think these guys could even fire him up.

You an tell these guys have worked hard on the off season, Sue and Ava look bigger and this is now paying off. Some credit here to Potter and his support crew.

After their poor performances over the past one or two years some players need more than first five rounds before they start to receive any pats on he back from me - namely Anasta, Thompson, Blair and Lawrence.
But....a better start to the season from the first three.

Still have Moltzen and Halatau to come into the squad and 'surprise' us.

10 rounds in will give us a better and more consistent platform to judge.
But looking positive so far for Potter.

super_coach

First Grade
When Todd Payten retired our team lost a lot of its punch as he was the link man between forwards and backs. This year Blair has taken over that role to a certain degree and things are looking good for the first time in a few years.

Of course having a no7 helps and having raw power off your bench is a big plus. When you think of it we have only put two bad halves of football in this year

Very big test this week, Iam not confident, their has been to much hype

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the packs get aggressive, we'll be in with a chance. Run woods at Lui all game.

WT Unity

Juniors
The most pleasing surprise for me is the "ATTITUDE" of the "PACK". Let me paraphrase the old Gus Gould phrase which I think he coined back in his origin coaching days which was "if they pull the cats tail they get the whole f**king cat" - Well this year when firstly Greg Bird, then the Burgess brothers then King and others from Manly had a go this is what's happening.....If they pull the TIGERS tale they're getting the whole f**king TIGER!!!! - And I'm loving it!

BrotherJim05

Bench
If the packs get aggressive, we'll be in with a chance. Run woods at Lui all game.

Was thinking the same thing, his defense is shocking. Charge at him and get right in his face....totally scare the shit out of him and he will lose concentration and make errors

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have Galloway & Taupau run at Thurston and Woods & Gavet running at Lui

it'd force the Cowboys front rowers to defend wider and should open up gaps in the middle for Farah to exploit.

The Rosco

Bench
I'd have Galloway & Taupau run at Thurston and Woods & Gavet running at Lui

it'd force the Cowboys front rowers to defend wider and should open up gaps in the middle for Farah to exploit.

LOL at the mental image of Gavet running flat stick at Lui :lol:
It'd nearly turn him white with fear !!!

. . . . And the space in the middle will suit Austin's game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha i figured Taupau & galloway are rangey & hard to grass, so they'd sap thurston's energy, while woods & gavet are just powerhorses & they will turn lui into a speedbumb pretty quick.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't a strong part of the game plan.

Latest posts