What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprising Stats

Kilkenny

Coach
Im a massive fan who thinks he's potentially the best half in the game. He is already the best passer of the football by some margin. Nothing wrong with honest discussion about players shortcomings

My post wasn't in response to your earlier post rather I just see things differently in relation to the type of fullback Moylan is and what he brings to the team.

I agree he is not the best defensive fullback in the NRL nor is he the most effective at bringing the ball back. However, I think overall he is a very good fullback who is excellent value. He is not being paid the huge money commanded by other fullbacks such as Inglis, Dugan, Slater, Tuivasa Sheck, Boyd and Barba who I suspect earn significantly more than Matty. Tedesco & Trbojevic if not already, will also command big salary increases once there contracts are next due for renewal/upgrading.

betcats

Referee
I don't actually think Moylans kick returns are a problem at all, sure we could benefit from a stronger kick returner but we aren't suffering for the lack of one at FB and I thinks it's being a little exagerated now how much he gets driven backwards. We aren't getting pinned down our own end and losing field position battles regularly, I can hardly think of a game this year that has happened. I've been very disappointed with some of his try stopping efforts this year though.

betcats

Referee
My post wasn't in response to your earlier post rather I just see things differently in relation to the type of fullback Moylan is and what he brings to the team.

I agree he is not the best defensive fullback in the NRL nor is he the most effective at bringing the ball back. However, I think overall he is a very good fullback who is excellent value. He is not being paid the huge money commanded by other fullbacks such as Inglis, Dugan, Slater, Tuivasa Sheck, Boyd and Barba who I suspect earn significantly more than Matty. Tedesco & Trbojevic if not already, will also command big salary increases once there contracts are next due for renewal/upgrading.

Id be very surprised if Moylan wasn't earning more than some of these FBs already, he certainly will be on his next contract. The footy show gig Im guessing is a third party deal.

chrisD

Coach
Unless someone has inside information saying otherwise I will assume Moylan is on big coin when the new contract years he signed kick in, he is worth at least 800k, more than that given the cap is always rising and I think the new contract begins 2018? 500k was the rumoured number before that, which everyone here said was too high, stupidly, as he's easily worth that. He is our best and most important player by a large margin, our leader.

betcats

Referee
Unless someone has inside information saying otherwise I will assume Moylan is on big coin when the new contract years he signed kick in, he is worth at least 800k, more than that given the cap is always rising and I think the new contract begins 2018? 500k was the rumoured number before that, which everyone here said was too high, stupidly, as he's easily worth that. He is our best and most important player by a large margin, our leader.

Yeah I assumed he was on good coin. Def more than guys like Barba and young Tom, Barba hasn't seen out his last two contracts Brisbane didn't want him and he has only come into some good form this year.

Fibroman

First Grade
Moylan and Merrin are currently our best players with Cleary to knock on the door in the next couple of years. Cartwright is potentially the best backrower ever to play the game. I'd just like to see these guys playing in their correct position.

mxlegend99

Referee
These are the stats that hurt as a club:

Missed Tackles - 687. Second worse in the competition with only Knights being below us.

Tackles - 6648. 12th in the competition... making our missed tackle count look even worse

Errors - 202... equal second with only Roosters being worse and Sharks being level with us

Otherwise were pretty much on par or even in the top half for most stats. But to be second on missed tackles and errors and somehow sit inside the top 8 is just crazy.

tripster

Juniors
These are the stats that hurt as a club:

Missed Tackles - 687. Second worse in the competition with only Knights being below us.

Tackles - 6648. 12th in the competition... making our missed tackle count look even worse

Errors - 202... equal second with only Roosters being worse and Sharks being level with us

Otherwise were pretty much on par or even in the top half for most stats. But to be second on missed tackles and errors and somehow sit inside the top 8 is just crazy.

These statistics are completely consistent with the fact that in almost all of our wins, we have made things so hard for ourselves. Particularly with basic dropped balls or unnecessarily risky passes coming out of our own end.

I'd like to see our statistics on all run metres - I suspect the way we have managed to make up for the bad stats in these areas is that we have shown a pretty consistent ability to make good metres throughout a match and to get on top of our opposition in the physicality.

maple_69

Bench
Looks like our error and missed tackle rate has come down from 34/10.2 to 31/8.9 in the 10 games since Cleary has come in. I think it probably reflects the fact that we've had a bit more stability in the lineup. Still bad. Goes to show how talented our squad is when they can consistently compete despite the poor discipline. We have lost 6 games by less than a try. Fix the errors and missed tackles and we likely win those and are equal top. It's definitely the difference between being an also ran and a contender for us right now.

Metres gained we are middle of the pack.

Latest posts