What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey for Storm Fans

Bubbles

Juniors
Hello to you all! I was wondering if I could get some thoughts/opinions on some issues to do with the Storm for the purposes of a Forum 7's article. First let me say that while I am a Roosters fan (yes I know, boo hiss!), I was born and raised in Melbourne only moving up to Sydney in 1991, so I have a bit of a soft spot for the Storm and really want them to be a success - just in case anyone was worried about motives.

Okay, so I have a few questions and would really appreciate it if I could get some answers and opinions.

Were you born in Melbourne, or are did you move from New South Wales or Queensland?

If you were born in Melbourne, how did you get into Rugby League?

What sort of marketing campaign was there to lead into the inception of the Storm into the NRL?

Do you think that the Storm winning the competition in only its second year was a help or was it too soon? (Too soon, as in there wasn't enough interest at that stage for such a success to really make an impact).

Do you think that the NRL eased back on support as far as marketing the Storm after 1999 because it assumed that success itself would be enough to promote and cement the game in Melbourne?

What are the major issues for the Storm?

If you were the CEO of Melbourne Storm, what would you be doing to promote the game?

Sorry, I know that's more than a few questions and it's a bit rude for a Monday morning, but I'd really appreciate your input.

BTW good win on Saturday and good luck for the rest of the season. Once again, Melbourne are proving to be the quiet achievers and there's no doubt you'll be there come September!

Thanks,
Bubbles

Hello to you all! I was wondering if I could get some thoughts/opinions on some issues to do with the Storm for the purposes of a Forum 7's article. First let me say that while I am a Roosters fan (yes I know, boo hiss!), I was born and raised in Melbourne only moving up to Sydney in 1991, so I have a bit of a soft spot for the Storm and really want them to be a success - just in case anyone was worried about motives.

Okay, so I have a few questions and would really appreciate it if I could get some answers and opinions.

Were you born in Melbourne, or are did you move from New South Wales or Queensland?

I am born in Melbourne and lived in melbourne all my life

A couple of reason. The merger of fitzroy and Brisbane, selling waverly Park.

But my dad and my Granparents come from Widnes. RL heartland

What sort of marketing campaign was there to lead into the inception of the Storm into the NRL?

I can't remember

Do you think that the Storm winning the competition in only its second year was a help or was it too soon? (Too soon, as in there wasn't enough interest at that stage for such a success to really make an impact).

Pros and cons on both sides

Do you think that the NRL eased back on support as far as marketing the Storm after 1999 because it assumed that success itself would be enough to promote and cement the game in Melbourne?

oh yes and it goes back to the ARL as well. 3 devolpment officer to do a AFL heartland.
Do you think that there is any chance to recover from the recent off-field dramas, or do you think that this has confirmed Melbournite's bad opinion of the game?

Don't be daft. Earlier on it was but it fine now!!!!.

MARKETING!!! The Nrl has backed the Storm in a Press relase in janurary and we still in my opinion got no help from the nrl and it is nearly 6 months!!!

If you were the CEO of Melbourne Storm, what would you be doing to promote the game? i would ask ARL from more money for devolpment officers and ask the NRL for concessions in the media argeement so that a Radio Station broadcast the storm game and hopefully one that can offer victoria wide

Sorry, I know that's more than a few questions and it's a bit rude for a Monday morning, but I'd really appreciate your input.

BTW good win on Saturday and good luck for the rest of the season. Once again, Melbourne are proving to be the quiet achievers and there's no doubt you'll be there come September!

Thanks,
Bubbles

Hoggy

Bench

Born in Carlton :oops:. My mother is from Newcastle though (Greta) but that had no influence in me liking rugby league/union although it does keep my Pop happy that I can talk rugby to him.

The old Channel 2 match of the days that were replayed Sunday Morning down here, that and the Canberra team of 89-94. Big Mal!

Well the supporters voted on our nickname for starters.

No. Success breeds success. We were ordinary for most of 2000 and then 2001-2.

Yes. Gallop is good for the game. Moffat was a twat.

Do you think that there is any chance to recover from the recent off-field dramas, or do you think that this has confirmed Melbournite's bad opinion of the game?

No that comment is complete crap.

Working together with the AFL for the Storm (eg. for example rd26 last year was scheudled the same night as a Collingwood vs Brisbane final, what brainiac thought of that?), retaining our players down here (Orford hopefully and losing Bai last year), and on field results.

If you were the CEO of Melbourne Storm, what would you be doing to promote the game?

Working with the AFL more, maybe the odd game at the MCG when it is completed. Looking at upgrading Olympic Park/perhaps building our own 15,000 venue (upgrade Bob Jane Stadium perhaps)

Bubbles

Juniors
Thanks Chemicalbrother and Hoggy. I have removed the question about the off-field dramas - it was really badly worded and I couldn't work out how to re-word it so I dumped it - Mondayitis I think! #-o

Stormin Norman

Juniors
Melb

always been a fan since the the days of chanel 2 sun morning replays in about 89 after rage used to go for the raiders

see hoogys answer

well it could only help ppl were going to drop off when the novality wore off now is the right time to try and build

yes

not enouff tv coverage in melb all away games should be shown live on chanel 2 or sbs. also need selary cap concession and some sort of scolership program for vic juniors to go to qld to play at the devils more vic juniors that play the better for the game.

try and keep the gutless nrl board as far away from the club as possible there not willing to help because there scared of upsetting sponsors and other big name clubs at the end of the day if they want to keep it the NRL and not just syd-bris rl they have to make the hard desions if its going to help the game but they just dont seem to care.

Yup Melb

Played AFL and wanted to try something tougher and different.

Dunno I was over sea for the first 18mths.

Not really. Don't want bandwagon fans anyways

What Hoggy said. We recieve sweet FA at the moment and lack of TV couverage is killing us.

Yes it will recouver. AFL platers are just as bad.

Proving that RL is a relevant professional sport.

Quit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blast the ARL, NRL and the NSWRL at every opportunity. gods knows how many topics we are able to bring up.

BTW you can't be a Chook supporter....... :eek: ......Your to polite. :)

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
1) Yes was born in Melbourne

2) Cousin played for Parramatta, went on to coach Dragons Under 21 and took them to a number of Grand Finals (won a few as well, but can't remember how many) and then became coach of Parramatta. Followed the game during the 70's when the ABC use to show it LIVE into Melbounre.

3) There was two, the first was a competition (as mentioned) by the Herald Sun to come up with a nickname. A radio station also got involved in this comp as well. The second part to it was July and August A number of TV ad's ran wanting people to become 'Foundation members' a few hundred took this up and those membership 'platimum' no longer exist. (And aren't I dirty on that).

4) Some times I think that, what did hurt us was the Admin side sticking their nose in the footy side, we then lost a coach, players had no idea if they were Arthur or Martha, we had two crap seasons and we went to a stadium that OUR members did like. When we went to Docklands I think we lost about 5,000 members.

5) I don't think the NRL really had a plan for us, there was little signed away reagrding coverage and it was really left to the club to do everything with no resources.

6) What off field dramas.

7) Lack of resources and coverage, simple as that. When you look at the moment of admin staff the club has compared to anyone else you have to sit back and admire what the Storm staff do. I know I do.

8)
(a) First thing is lock away with both game and club sponsors more promotion as part of their deal, they have to promote the Storm when ever possible.
(b) Have a two year promotion for any AFL member to attend a Storm game on producing their AFL membership card for $10.
(c) Any AFL member bring their child the kid gets in free, must be under the age of 13 and a limit of 4
(d) Any person who attended an AFL game at the MCG the day of a Storm game and has their membership to the teams playing or an entry ticket to the MCG for tat day gets in for $5.
(e) Have CUB and Woodstock do a can series during summer to promote the players and club.
(f) Have one of the sposnors hold a State of Origin party at Olympic Park and show the game live onthe big screen. Gold coin entry with the money going to a Storm charity.
(g) Have a dedicated seating area for supporters that what to cheer and chant (or at lest get them going)
(h) Run television ad's on channel ten during the AFL
(i) Do in club/pub promotions on a Friday night at CBD hotels and clubs (using those players out injured) Give aways like a jersey or tickets.
(j) As part of their sponsorship, make sure the Leader Community Newspaper run a story in everypaper on the results and up coming games. Also include a player profile each week.

Thats for starters :)

Bubbles

Juniors
Thanks so much for all the input - appreciate it - especially stormwarning and I'd back you for CEO too! :clap:

Hoggy

Bench
So Stormwarning is better than me? :evil:

By the way what is Ashfield's Philip Lodge Motel like?

Craig

Juniors

Born in NZ.

As above.

Blank.

I would take a premiership in the club's 2nd year. It gives the club more creditbility.

I guess so.

Lack of coverage by Channel 9, lack of coverage in the papers.

Build a Leagues Club.

I kid you not, these things pay for themselves, and if you have pokies room, a buffet style resturant, people will come and eat and spend their money. It creates job's, have a function room where you can host school formals and the like, and you can then arrange deals with members of AFL club's to become member's of the leagues club and the same applies with current Storm members.

Have a improved stadium, look at sacking the food and beverage staff at OP (unless this is a contract basis with Olympic Park Mangement, then have a word with them to pull their finger out and work faster, because that is bad customer service and people remember that).

Dani

Immortal
Craig said:
Build a Leagues Club.

I kid you not, these things pay for themselves, and if you have pokies room, a buffet style resturant, people will come and eat and spend their money. It creates job's, have a function room where you can host school formals and the like, and you can then arrange deals with members of AFL club's to become member's of the leagues club and the same applies with current Storm members.

such a good idea craig, pfft i never even thought of something like that

Surandy

Bench

Born in Geelong, Vic.

First watched 1998 Grand Final, thought it was fantastic. Watched some games on TV in 1999. Talked about going to Storm vs Raiders in July 99 with my then girlfriend (who was a Raiders supporter) but got the flu. Watched all the finals matches in 1999. Finally went to my first game March 18th, 2000 vs Eels. LOVED IT even better than on TV.

No idea.

Can't decide if it was a help or hindrance.

I believe so.

Crap coverage by Channel Nein, not just for the Storm but RL in general. Not taken seriously by government. Just look at the crap Storm went through trying to get somewhere to train at the start of the year.

Good thing I'm not the CEO as I'm not sure. One thing would be lobbying very hard for the NRL to provide some advertising of the NRL in Victoria along with trying to make sure a better deal is negotiated for the next TV rights.

Look at trying to get a better stadium, more suited to Rugby League that would allow Storm to have a permanent social/leagues club (so I'm pinching some ideas here ;-) ).

elvisrout

Juniors
ere you born in Melbourne, or are did you move from New South Wales or Queensland?

I was born in Melbourne.

I had a New South Welshmen father, i was brought up playing Rugby League with my father and barracking for Wests, i was brought up to despise AFL.

As soon as i heard that there was a melbourne rugby league team through the media our family was members, as we were dying for some media coverage and live Rugby League

Yes and no, great exposure for the game, but there was allot of bandwagon supporters, and what goes up most come down.

Yes, Gallop needs to start pumping funds into the melbourne franchise or we are in trouble

Media Exsposure but more importantly crowds ( we need to get 12-13000 a game again) - we have the 5000 people gone from 1998-1999?

I would get people who know the game and are passionate about the melbourne storm to promote the game, freebees, free gear etc, we need to get some sort of deal with Channel 9.

We need to look to the future not the past, move on from Olympic Park, but not Telstra dome, we need something like Parra Std, close to the atmosphere.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Craig said:

Build a Leagues Club.

Craig, can you tell you that a Leagues Club will never happen down here for Storm for one reason and one reason only. The Victorian State Government Pokie Policy and Cap.

No new pokie licences will be issued for in Victoria EVER, a Leagues Club would need to have pokies to bring people in to it on an everyday basis tp keep it afloat, as Storm supporters have already shown they wont travel to a club venue that is miles away from no where.

Don't get me wrong, love the idea but none of the policital parties in Victoria are going to change this law. In facted the current government (Bracks) is discussing at a party level to cut the number of licences when the current licence period finishes. This would mean that a number of clubs that have spent a fortune doing up their clubs to get more people in could lose their pokies and then lose money.

Bubbles, I can tell you first hand we have some of (if not) the best supporters who do nothing but support this team and the ideas they come up with is amazing. If you ever are down here let me know, I can introduce you to hundreds of people in the social club that have some great ideas...some I agree with, some that might work, some that I don't. At the end of the day it is each to their own and I know that their passion for the club and game would crap all over most in Sydney that say they are great League supporters.

Back in 99 we started a club/supporter forum which have been open and honest and very successful. We are (to my understanding) the only supporters to organise an open forum with the Club and NRL. I'm proud of that as some said that I would never get it to happen.

Bubbles

Juniors
Thanks again to everyone who has shared their ideas here, it's really great to see such passion for the club and the game - people who are suggesting that the Storm get yanked from Melbourne and relocated should take a look at you guys and maybe they'd rethink. I have to say that I'm really surprised at how many people are Melbourne-born, I guess I expected most supporters to have been exposed to League living elsewhere, but that's probably based on my own personal experiences growing up in Melbourne where I didn't know anything about the game.

Stormwarning, I get back down to Melbourne at least a couple of times a year to visit family and friends, and I've caught a couple of Storm games. What I have always told people here is that while the crowds may not be as large as the other teams, the crowd is loud and proud and when it comes to passion rival any other club's fan base.

Anyway, I'll PM you when my next trip is coming up.

Cheers,
Bubbles

Bubbles

Juniors
Thanks again to everyone who has shared their ideas here, it's really great to see such passion for the club and the game - people who are suggesting that the Storm get yanked from Melbourne and relocated should take a look at you guys and maybe they'd rethink. I have to say that I'm really surprised at how many people are Melbourne-born, I guess I expected most supporters to have been exposed to League living elsewhere, but that's probably based on my own personal experiences growing up in Melbourne where I didn't know anything about the game.

Stormwarning, I get back down to Melbourne at least a couple of times a year to visit family and friends, and I've caught a couple of Storm games. What I have always told people here is that while the crowds may not be as large as the other teams, the crowd is loud and proud and when it comes to passion rival any other club's fan base.

Anyway, I'll PM you when my next trip is coming up.

Cheers,
Bubbles