What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney A Grade District Comps

lturner

Juniors
Does anyone play senior footy in any of the A grade comps in Sydney?

What is standard like? I played lower grades subbies rugby last year, anyone know if there is any comp with teams at this sort of level?

mono_mal

Juniors
I'd advise you check out the student rugby league competition. Despite being a university based comp you dont actually have to be a student to participate and there is 2 divisions in the comp, meaning you should be able to find a suitable level.
In regards to local A-Grade comps they are all fairly competitive and would be much stonger than lower grade Subbies union. Although several such as Parra and Penrith have multiple divisions so Div 3 perhaps may be suitable.

munge

Juniors
I also wondered this. I got back into footy this year after a few years out and am playing low grades subbies rugby and loving it but would much rather play league but the area i live in (balmain area) really all the clubs only have an A Grade. Do any comps at all go down to C Grade and even below?

mono_mal

Juniors
Parramatta
A-Grade
A-2 (Reserve Grade)
A-3

Penrith
A-Grade
A-2 (Reserve Grade)
A-3

Parra, Penrith and Manly are the only comps with multiple divisions.
Parra and Penrith both have A1 and A2 (effectively A-reserves) and then a more social comp for the smaller clubs in A3's.

C-grade in league are usually junior competitons such as U19 OR U20.

But again Id recommend the student rugby league if your looking for a more social level of league. A lot of A-grade clubs pay their players and are seriously competitive.

lturner

Juniors
Thanks very much for that, much appreciated. I'll have a look at the Tertiary league, it looks like that's the level I'm after.

adamkungl

Immortal
C grade is 18s or 19s.
Last year (and for the last few I think) Souths have had A reserves. Not running this year?

munge

Juniors
I dont understand why league cant get the numbers yet union can get teams down to even 7th grade at some big clubs like Mosman????

Bit weird

mono_mal

Juniors
League can ge the numbers though their numbers are distributed more widely through teams. League operates on a geographical basis whilst union utilises a divisional structure.
Both have positives and negatives though I think league bosses should seriously consider implementing more social forms of league for players. Union has successfully run U85 competitions in recent years! Another initiative may be to develop more age group based teams. I know in certain districts players jump from U18 to A-grade and this jump is simply too large for most players, resulting in players being lost to the game. I believe individual districts or even the NSWRL should attempt to implement senior age divisions.
Eg U18, U20, U23

Skinner

Coach
I was in Sydney last weekend and got out to see the the St Marys v St Clair A reserve and A games. I can tell you the standard was extremely high. I came away well pleased with the intensity of both games.

BTW mono mal, it's good to see you back. One of the most knowledgeable grass roots fans.

the beavers

Juniors
i would also recommend the tartiary league.... in particular our club Cumberland at parra :)
1st grade standard has picked up a lot this year with a few new teams
2nd grade is still social
the social side of things is a lot like subbies where both clubs mix after the games..... and the away trips to newcastle bathurst and canberra are always good laugh
regardless of your level you can get a game in the league and its on saturdays too

tezzah1

Juniors
Being a kiwi wanting to send a few gun players to have a crack and play rugby league in A grade competitions. What club would you suggest to send these young blokes to? From what I know and seen in recent years the competition is good in Penrith, Parra and Manly who have some good competive teams. Any insight would be helpful. Cheers!

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Being a kiwi wanting to send a few gun players to have a crack and play rugby league in A grade competitions. What club would you suggest to send these young blokes to? From what I know and seen in recent years the competition is good in Penrith, Parra and Manly who have some good competive teams. Any insight would be helpful. Cheers!

Maybe the Brothers club in the Penrith comp as if good enough could progress into their Bundaberg Cup team.
Contact president@brotherspjrlc.com.au

sumkah01

Juniors
I was in Sydney last weekend and got out to see the the St Marys v St Clair A reserve and A games. I can tell you the standard was extremely high. I came away well pleased with the intensity of both games.

BTW mono mal, it's good to see you back. One of the most knowledgeable grass roots fans.
The comps standard has dropped a bit over the last few years due to the introduction of the points cap same as the Bundy Cup i have been involved with the St Clair Agrade for the last 6 years as coach and trainer

sumkah01

Juniors
Mono Mal, mate i woulod be happy to have a discussion with about bringing players to our club Im involved with St Clair and also have my hand in a few other things regarding football as you might not know St Clair has a strong kiwi backing with alot of players from New Zealand coming to St Clair we also have Alex Chan playing in our Agrade side plus Mark Horo still is a part of our club with one of his sons playing here.

Look forward to your reply.

The Partisan

Does a Sydney Districts rep team (or similiar) ever get selected to play teams from country centres eg. Newcastle / Illawarra ?

Here in Brisbane a Brisbane Subbies (Sub-Districts) team has at least one game per year against rep teams drawn from the local comps of Ipswich, Toowoomba, Wide Bay or the Sunshine or Gold Coasts. Don't always have their name on the winners tropy either !

Really would love to see the day when an English Challenge Cup-like comp could exist in Oz.

Acka

Coach
Does a Sydney Districts rep team (or similiar) ever get selected to play teams from country centres eg. Newcastle / Illawarra ?

Here in Brisbane a Brisbane Subbies (Sub-Districts) team has at least one game per year against rep teams drawn from the local comps of Ipswich, Toowoomba, Wide Bay or the Sunshine or Gold Coasts. Don't always have their name on the winners tropy either !

Really would love to see the day when an English Challenge Cup-like comp could exist in Oz.

We used to have a comp like that, although it wasn't that prestigious. The old midweek cup. It went by the following names:

Amco Cup
Tooth Cup
KB Cup
National Panasonic Cup
Panasonic Cup

It was first held in 1974. The last one was in 1989 and believe it or not a couple of teams outside the Sydney Competition have won it, Western Division in 1974 and Combined Brisbane in 1984.

Latest posts