What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney CBD classic traditional pubs ....not trendy bars....

The Partisan

Looking for recommendations for a future visit.

Know the burbs have a load of great pubs - as does the The Rocks area .... how about in the heart of the city ?

Basic layout, pub grub, place to put a bet on the horses, maybe have some music playing........

Found The Forbes Hotel on last trip which was quite good. Whoever put the background music together was an 80's fan !

That kind of pub is ideal ( Or like Young and Jackson in Melbourne CBD)

Open to ideas.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Used to stay at the Crown in Surrey Hills for Origin, pretty cool old pub but did read it's up for trendification.

The Partisan

Ok

Say the area within the boundaries of Macquarie and York Sts between Circular Quay to the north and Park Street at midway of Hyde Park to the south.

Lambretta

First Grade
The Occidental on York
The Office on Kent
The Criterion on Park
The Windsor on Park
Royal George on George St

Not sure if any of these offers betting (other than the Windsor which definitely does) because I don't bet so I don't pay it any mind at all.

Then there's
The Bavarian Beer Cafe on York (bit expensive though)
The Edinburgh Castle on Pitt Street

But I would forego all of these and move away from the CBD and head to either Campbell Street for the Australian or the Harts Pub on Essex Street
Or I would go to Surry Hills and go to the Keg and Brew on Foveaux or Aurora on Elizabeth Street

Dogs Of War

Coach
Bloody Hell. The Harbourview hotel. It's right under the Harbour Bridge in the Rocks (Keep walking past the Mercantile and you will find it). Got a great view as well.

And if you want something in the burbs (Glebe), forget the Friend in hand, try the Toxeth Hotel. Which has a great TAB area.

Lambretta

First Grade
I would do the walk from Central to the SFS
It is the greatest walk in the World

Aurora Hotel - Happy hour 5pm to 7pm - Lord Nelson Three Sheets and Young Henrys Newtowner on tap for $5
Keg and Brew Hotel - Foveaux Street - 5pm to 7pm Monday to Saturday - 1 beer is $4 per schooner
The Xcelsior (aka El Loco) on Foveaux Street
The Forresters on corner of Pitt and Foveaux
Crown Street - The Dolphin and the Crown - both close by - both serve decent brews
The Carrington - Bourke Street
The Cricketers Arms - Fitzroy Lane

If you're still standing, I'll buy you a beer

justdave

Juniors
I would do the walk from Central to the SFS
It is the greatest walk in the World

Aurora Hotel - Happy hour 5pm to 7pm - Lord Nelson Three Sheets and Young Henrys Newtowner on tap for $5
Keg and Brew Hotel - Foveaux Street - 5pm to 7pm Monday to Saturday - 1 beer is $4 per schooner
The Xcelsior (aka El Loco) on Foveaux Street
The Forresters on corner of Pitt and Foveaux
Crown Street - The Dolphin and the Crown - both close by - both serve decent brews
The Carrington - Bourke Street
The Cricketers Arms - Fitzroy Lane

If you're still standing, I'll buy you a beer

Lambretta, great list but Forresters is Cnr of Foveaux and Riley. I know cause I lived diagonally across the road on Riley. Great Cnr shop opposite, Touch of Class and Forresters. Could walk across the road and get the trifecta :wink:

Lambretta

First Grade
And don't forget the KB near Central on Foveaux. Top class that one.... :joy:

I didn't forget it - the KB Tooth underwent a renovation a couple of years ago
They stripped out the decades old carpet which stank of vomit and stale beer and put in floorboards

They then made three changes - they changed the name to the Keg and Brew Hotel (a nod to KB), improved the food menu and vastly improved the beer choice. They now offer around 30 different beers on tap, nearly all of them craft beers - although they do still offer Vomit Brew, Neeeeewugrgh, Wreckers, Carlton Daft for people with no taste.

They offer a beer of the week, which is usually priced around $6.50 a schooner and each week or so they offer a different beer for "happy hour", which happily lasts two hours. Usually the "happy hour" beer is an "approachable, easy drinking" craft beer. A Pilsner, Pale Ale or a Kolsch is fairly normal. This is priced at $4 between 5pm and 7pm Monday to Saturday. The Keg and Brew is brilliant pub and is one of my favourites in the whole Sydney area.

Sure you have to stand on the street most of the time games are on as there's precious little room inside. But the focus is on great beer and that's what I want in a pub. For those who feel the need to provide the government with additional taxation there is a TAB a few doors down.

Latest posts