What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Roosters considering changing their name to Bondi Roosters

What should the Roosters do with their name?

• Total voters

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Eastern Suburbs aint a proud name. It was flogged off the rah-rah team that was in existence before the rugby league team, and still exists today.

furthermore, c**ks had, and have no fans anyway. how's reverting back to Easts or Eastern Suburbs going to benefit it apart from providing some sort of nostalgia?

Hows that rash coming along?

Lambretta

First Grade
I'm happy the Roosters are sticking with the Sydney name

I think it's appropriate

As another poster said earlier, East Sydney Roosters is appropriate because it can be shortened to "Easts" but that does alienate people who live in the Inner West close to the City somewhat.

However, with Homebush being the geographical centre of Sydney, Marrickville and Newtown etc are in the "Eastern" half of the City anyway :p (jokes people)

Goddo

Bench
St. George is made up of roughly the Kogarah, Rockdale, and Hustville local government areas. Sure, there is no actual suburb or place called 'St. George' on a map because it's the name of a region/district. But everything is called "St. George whatever" in the area for e.g. the main hospital is called St. George Hospital, so in my opinion I think St. George is geographic-specific.

Same as Illawarra - there's no actual suburb or place called Illawarra on a map, but it's a region stretching from Helensburgh down to the Far South Coast.

Yep. There are dentist surgeries, medical facilities, pubs, streets, the church (in hurstville that the district is named after, St George) shops, companies, cabs, a bank who all identify themselves by the St George name and district from which they come. Big region of the city west of Botany Bay, north of the Georges River, south of roughly Wolli Creek.

The main LGAs are Rockdale, Hurstville and Kogarah. St George is used in much the same way "Western Sydney" takes in everything west of Parra, or "North Sydney" the north shore. If he doesn't know where it is, highly likely he doesn't live in Sydney. :?

mightybears

Bench
People talk about how 'Bondi' is such a famous name (which it is), but the ironic thing is that the name 'Sydney' is even more famous around the world still!

I favour the Roosters to stick to the name 'Sydney' as their territory actually covers the Sydney CBD.

Also, as a Newtown Jets fan, because the Jets are the Roosters feeder team the name 'Sydney' can incorporate the Newtown/Marrickville area which adjoins the Sydney CBD directly to the south-west direction and the Roosters could lay claim to the Jets former turf through their 'Sydney' name and their association with Newtown. Anyone from Newtown/Marrickville would immediately distance themselves from 'Eastern Suburbs' or 'Bondi'.

Also interestingly, I have read Sean Fagan's book 'The Rugby Rebellion' which came out in 2005 (I think). In chapter 4, there is a club-by-club summary of the formation of the foundation district Rugby Union clubs, and on page 57 it has quoted the 'Sydney Morning Herald' and 'The Referee' newspapers from March and May 1900, and this is an excerpt of what they had to say about the formation of Eastern Suburbs:

"...The name 'Eastern Suburbs' was once well-known in althletics and Cricket fields. About the most famous of the now defunct amateur athletics clubs was the old Eastern Suburbs club. Also in existence at that time was the old Eastern Suburbs Cricket Club. But since those days, until a month or so back, the name Eastern Suburbs had dropped out of the world of sport, and indeed, out of all others. It is now revived in football, but strictly it is a misnomer, for the area embraces a substantial portion of the city. That is however a mere detail..."

So even back then in 1900, it was acknowledged that the Eastern Suburbs name maybe wasn't quite right. And so it seems after all these years the 'Sydney Roosters' name is the correct one after all.

I know Sean is a regular poster on these forums. Perhaps Sean can elaborate and add to this further?

I'd prefer them to revert to Easts, definitely not Bondi. It wasn't too long ago that Waverley CC changed to Eastern Suburbs CC to better pin themselves to their area. [Since they of course their 'easts' rival in Randwick has become Rand-P'sham, so maybe they didn't need to do it!].

The Roosters represent the Eastern Suburbs, its that simple. They started in the red, white and blue, and as they were the 'tricolours' it wasn't a big step to move to the roosters 50 plus years back for the obvious reasons.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
I don't know why they changed it to Sydney City in the first place. What's wrong with Easts or Eastern Suburbs? Bondi Roosters sounds really gay.

drake

First Grade
I don't know why they changed it to Sydney City in the first place. What's wrong with Easts or Eastern Suburbs? Bondi Roosters sounds really gay.
Their mascot is a c**k, their forum is the Wall and Oxford St is part of their territory.

You think having a gay suburb name is a bad thing for the club?

MattJ

Juniors
Does the Coogee Pub still serve up the Bunnies Special dessert ?

I believe it was actually called the "Bondi Breaker" because the special ingredient involved Nate Myles Snapping one off. I dont think they serve it anymore however after all the scrutiny Myles came under for trying to make himself a dessert in a motel hallway.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I believe it was actually called the "Bondi Breaker" because the special ingredient involved Nate Myles Snapping one off. I dont think they serve it anymore however after all the scrutiny Myles came under for trying to make himself a dessert in a motel hallway.

fail.jpg

RL1908

Bench
Also interestingly, I have read Sean Fagan's book 'The Rugby Rebellion' which came out in 2005 (I think). In chapter 4, there is a club-by-club summary of the formation of the foundation district Rugby Union clubs, and on page 57 it has quoted the 'Sydney Morning Herald' and 'The Referee' newspapers from March and May 1900, and this is an excerpt of what they had to say about the formation of Eastern Suburbs:

"...The name 'Eastern Suburbs' was once well-known in althletics and Cricket fields. About the most famous of the now defunct amateur athletics clubs was the old Eastern Suburbs club. Also in existence at that time was the old Eastern Suburbs Cricket Club. But since those days, until a month or so back, the name Eastern Suburbs had dropped out of the world of sport, and indeed, out of all others. It is now revived in football, but strictly it is a misnomer, for the area embraces a substantial portion of the city. That is however a mere detail..."

So even back then in 1900, it was acknowledged that the Eastern Suburbs name maybe wasn't quite right. And so it seems after all these years the 'Sydney Roosters' name is the correct one after all.

I know Sean is a regular poster on these forums. Perhaps Sean can elaborate and add to this further?

Only just stumbled upon your post...some random notes to add here...

It is correct that Easts covered much of the Sydney CBD, but looking at their founding meeting in 1900, they elected as Vice Presidents the Mayors of Sydney, Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick & the MLA for Paddington. I've got the exact list of club bondaries/suburbs in 1900 here somewhere, and I'll dig it up if time permits.

The club's spiritual home in 1900 was Paddington - the founding meeting was at the Paddington Town Hall, the club colours were those of the Paddington RU Club (the jersey design was copied the 1899 British team who had the same colours), and some of the early match reports in 1900 referred to the team as "Paddington".

In the years immediately before the 1908 start of RL there was a Sydney RU club that had been split off from Easts. But when the NSWRL formed they restored the original Easts district.

Under the NSWRL, around 1912-14 there was decided push to split away from Easts by a number of players/supporters to form a "Sydney" first grade RL club. One of the meetings was held at Dally Messenger's pub (which was directly opposite Museum Station in Elizabeth St - now the http://www.queensclub.com.au/ ).

'The Referee' 29.8.1913 stated "Eastern Suburbs covers Watson’s Bay, across to Long Bay, taking in Maroubra, Randwick, Coogee and Kensington, coming along Oxford and Liverpool Streets and along George St to Circular Quay … population of 183000."

The Rugby Rebellion is still available - re-issued & extended as Pioneers of Rugby League. http://www.RL1908.com/Pioneers/index.htm

Latest posts