What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tax Returns.

redvscotty

First Grade
OK, I am clueless when it comes to tax returns.

I don't want to do it myself online as I have tried, and have no idea.

I don't want to go to a tax booth in a shopping centre with a bloke sitting there eating jam donuts putting icing sugar all over his shithouse laptop while trying to enter my info in as quick as possible and piss me off so that he can get stuck into his extra large coke.

I want to be able to go to a company (don't mind if its a large chain group) that will do everything for me. I want them to sort it all out and charge me their fee. I also would like for them to educate me on what to keep record of for next year etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Gambler

Juniors
Make it the first and last time you pay someone to do your individual tax return.

It is a waste of your hard earned. The only people who need a tax advisor are those making millions a year. It is honestly a very easy process once you learn how to use the e-tax software, and if necessary, get a grasp of what you can and can't claim.

This view is coming from someone working in big 4 corporate tax.

In answer to your question, go to H&R Block.

billy2

Juniors
It's only worth seeing an accountant if you have a complicated return.
My accountant has a minimum $350 fee.
Tax agents are a lot cheaper, and if you are a PAYE taxpayer you only need a tax agent.

redvscotty

First Grade
Thanks guys, all good suggestions. I have been talking to some people around the office and I'm going to give the e-tax online thing a go tonight, and if it doesn't work out I'll goto HR Block down the road.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shit man, it's not that f**king hard.

Takes me all of 5 minutes to do my tax return.

Diesel

Referee
Can anyone recommend an accountant or tax return company in Brisbane?

I was using HR Block which I'm not that happy with.

I recently bought a second investment property but will be moving into this in the next 6-12 months and while HR was ok with one, I don't think I was getting such a good return. Admittedly so both are positively gearing because of the interest rates bring low.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
you do realise positive gearing means you are earning money and therefore need to pay tax on them, not get a deduction..?

Diesel

Referee
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I was looking for an accountant that can minimise my tax bill. Much like how the big corporations don't pay tax

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That's generally because of R&D they invest in or concessions they have set up, not just because they have a certain accountant.

You need to set things up, for example neg gearing, so when it comes to tax time everything is in place so you dont end up with a tax liability.

Diesel

Referee
Thanks guys. Might need to spend a little. Orr and get some financial advice at the same time.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Take a photo of every receipt as you get it
done.

what category should i file it under for a deduction?

hooters.jpg