What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday - Round 5

BrissyRedV

Bench
Thompson or Friz could play centre at a pinch but that could weaken the defensive line
With Host on the bench, I think the outside defence would be fine carrying an extra pig on the bench and no utility back. All semantics though. Mary was reluctant to change a losing team last let alone a winning team.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I don't get this logic of not changing a winning team. Its not as if McCrone is in stellar form and he is the sole reason we have been winning, when in fact, especially the Sharks game, he nearly lost it for us. His kicking swung momentum into the Sharks favour that game.

Not to mention he did his best to assist the Warriors back into the game but l won't mention that.

I think with McCrone having such a vast input over the first few games, he should be rested for the remainder of the season.

The Doc

Juniors
No, not similar to the Bennett era. We had a single set play that was so structured, so rehearsed and crisp that was even broadcast to the opposition and it was still virtually unstoppable. Have we scored off a well coached set play this year? Serious question because I can't recall one.
Point is though... we only had 1 set play.
Yes no one worked out how to stop it... but if we relied on just one set play now everyone would be complaining that its only a matter of time before the "better teams " catch on.
My point, is if we are the leading point scorers with no structure... then imagine the damage we will do when structures and set plays start working.
I wasnt having a go at you by the way... i was just meaning after 5 years of utter shit being dished up... it feels good to see the team score points (i dont care how) and win games.

BrissyRedV

Bench
then imagine the damage we will do when structures and set plays start working.
That is the big if. I just don't want to see a false dawn like 2015 was and for us to be stuck with Mary for longer period. I am not meaning to sound hypercritical of the teams performances thus far, I just want to see us score from both ad lib and well structured and rehearsed plays.
I wasnt having a go at you by the way... i was just meaning after 5 years of utter shit being dished up... it feels good to see the team score points (i dont care how) and win games.
Nor was I and I get that. It is nice going into a weekend and actually looking forward to a game. If you have read my posts last month and prior to round 1, well if you think I am negative now, I was verging on suicidal then.

Old Timer

Coach
If you carry a back on the bench it should not be to cover a position because of potential injury it should be a dynamic game breaker that can provide impetus, individual sparks and potentially brilliance.
If Mann is that person then why didn't he get on against the Eels?
Can Mann actually do that job?
IMO his selection is seen as part of a hooker rotation so why not just pick Havili to do that role and leave MC Crone at 7 for the full eighty and play Mann at half in reggies to see if he has in fact got what it takes to be an NRL 7.
Mann is either the 5 or 4 or 7 or he is not anything and our forwards would be far better served by having another pig in the rotation.
Heavily can be used as a hooker to rest Mc Innes but if that is not necessary he can play several other roles.
It would be different if we injected the impact back from the bench but we don't do that.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If you carry a back on the bench it should not be to cover a position because of potential injury it should be a dynamic game breaker that can provide impetus, individual sparks and potentially brilliance.
If Mann is that person then why didn't he get on against the Eels?
Can Mann actually do that job?
IMO his selection is seen as part of a hooker rotation so why not just pick Havili to do that role and leave MC Crone at 7 for the full eighty and play Mann at half in reggies to see if he has in fact got what it takes to be an NRL 7.
Mann is either the 5 or 4 or 7 or he is not anything and our forwards would be far better served by having another pig in the rotation.
Heavily can be used as a hooker to rest Mc Innes but if that is not necessary he can play several other roles.
It would be different if we injected the impact back from the bench but we don't do that.
I agree. Any outside back worth their salt plays 80 minutes as should your halves so the need for an outside back on the bench is a waste. If there is an injury in the outside backs, we have 2nds that can move out. As for the bench, I think Havili is a highly suitable candidate for the 17 jumper. Can fill in at 9 if needed and add real spark there but is also quite able to fill in at 13 so still could get considerable, meaningful game time with out messing with team balance ie. McCrone to hooker last week.

The Doc

Juniors
That is the big if. I just don't want to see a false dawn like 2015 was and for us to be stuck with Mary for longer period. I am not meaning to sound hypercritical of the teams performances thus far, I just want to see us score from both ad lib and well structured and rehearsed plays.

Nor was I and I get that. It is nice going into a weekend and actually looking forward to a game. If you have read my posts last month and prior to round 1, well if you think I am negative now, I was verging on suicidal then.
Lol i wasnt all that happy either... i was getting frustrated with player selections.
But i now understand the situation the coach is in with his career being on the line.
I think we all know its inevitable that the team will crash soon enough...
But im not dreading that day... because in all honesty theres as much chance that it will crash and burn as there is that will continue.
Im just one of those fans that will cheer the boys week in week out...
Even if we win 10 in a row by field goals i will back the boys to win by 13+ the next week.
And if we lose... i wont bag the boys.. ill back them to bounce back the next week and whoop the next team.

Life's Good

Coach
He ain't changing a winning side and I can live with that. What is most frustrating is the lack of pressure being applied to McCrone & Lafai who are now automatic selections but arguably have not been up to scratch. To give Mann token minutes(when he can play either role)is the hallmark of a coach intent on holding on & hoping. FFS Flanagan benched Townsend mid game last year which put him on notice to perform or perish. McGregor has his head in the sand.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Milne for Aitken, Mann to halves, Havili to 17 and McCrone left right out.
My thoughts exactly........theres rumors Milnes not playing to well in the lower grade I reckon theres a very good reason for that hes probably deflated , and why wouldn't he be he finished imo very well in the First grade last year and must be bitterly disappointed...you watch if blokes like him Mann and Havili dont get some more games with the big boys they will be gone...and that would be a crying shame

slippery5

Juniors
Gentlemen, without blowing my alias, i have played professional football (not rugby league) at a high level. Just wanted to make a comment. There is so much more to a winning team than just the individual skill of one player. There is an alchemy involved in a winning team in aspects that you can't measure or even see on TV when you're watching a game. I agree that Josh McCrone isnt my favourite player and he may not offer more than say Jai Field or Kurt Mann on a skill level. But one thing i realised in my career is that players have to bring more than that to a winning environment. Maybe he is a great talker/motivator, maybe he is top notch in training sessions and leads a group. Maybe he has a great attitude and a winning mindset. In my experience it wasnt the most skillful players that got you to win every week, it was the player fitted into your team and played their role. I am just a St George fan now, but my experience in sport is that if you have a team that is winning, and winning well then you would be crazy to mess with it, especially a position as crucial as halfback. So although i may wince everytime McCrone kicks the ball dead, i just accept that in a winning environment there is a bunch of things he must be doing right. When we have lost a bunch of games then we should re-evaluate but all this talk of swapping and changing a team on a roll is just plain naive.....
I will get off my soap box now....
Yes we all heard Lafai was a top notch trainer in the off season, I respect your opinion ( experience ) but shouldn't a good trainer or a team man be rewarded with a bench spot & given 7min of game time. In motor sport if you win a race you still try to wring some more out of your car, adjusting your suspension or tweaking your engine to get more speed even if you win race 1 you want to go faster race 2.( I know we're not a race car team) but winning is sometimes not good enough. I fear we could be the pretenders & leading the comp as the Sharks sometimes did, until push comes to shove & our forwards are tired & can't carry our inept backs ( Dugan & possibly Nene excused ) Mann showed more footwork in his 1 touch of the ball than M'Crone did in 80 min our 5/8 is possibly the worst Dragons player to have the C beside his name he might be playing better but he has not done anything to say we wouldn't have won without him, maybe his goal kicking has improved & people stop saying Nightingale has played one season too many he has been caught out more than once with kicks turning him around but to the good fortune of the ball going out or dead before his opposite has gone flying past him, so as I said last April he shouldn't be in the team even though I love him ,so that makes it 2 seasons too many. Just my opinion & I respect anyone else's that differ. I'm going to bed & dreaming of another Dragons win.

BennyV

Referee
...Mann showed more footwork in his 1 touch of the ball than M'Crone did in 80 min....
OMG THIS! Surprised this hasnt been mentioned before! Mann gets his hands on the ball once on the weekend, put on a bit of a step and the Warriors defence froze! The completely second guessed what he would do. Other than Dugan, no other player has done that in our team this year.

After that, McPlod didnt send the ball his way again for the last 5 minutes, everything either went left to Widdop or 20m backwards to no one.

BrissyRedV

Bench
My thoughts exactly........theres rumors Milnes not playing to well in the lower grade I reckon theres a very good reason for that hes probably deflated , and why wouldn't he be he finished imo very well in the First grade last year and must be bitterly disappointed...you watch if blokes like him Mann and Havili dont get some more games with the big boys they will be gone...and that would be a crying shame
I have resigned myself to those blokes moving on. Whether we win or lose games, Mary won't make changes.

possm

Coach
Millward and Mary are not supporters of Mann.
Millward wants one of our cheap juniors in the 6 jumper next year.
Mary wants to see if Widdop can play himself into form for an extension.

SGMax

Juniors
I noticed last match that Host is looking quite thin.
Somebody remind him he is a forward.

Belta

Juniors
We r disadvantaged only using 3 reserves, use Savilli off the bench, very strong defender, good impact...don't get McGregor's mentality

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Marketo remains the club's best utility option. He has demonstrated that he can satisfactorily fill in the back row, hooker, centres, and I say it, five-eighth at a pinch. His cover defence as a lighter framed forward is pretty f**king good.

*Waits for the anticipated torrent of ridicule*.

Failing this, I'd like to see more of Havili as I doubt McInnes can sustain continuous 80 minute 'spells' over a long season.

Of course, Mann should've been given an opportunity of securing a spot in the halves, but unfortunately, McGregor is a little 'shlow' (sic),

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else who wouldn't mind seeing if Tyrone McCarthy can offer something, particularly during the SOO period?

If the Dragons can negotiate the next three weeks by securing at least two victories, the year really could open up in a very positive manner (although playing Manly at Brookvale is going to be a real 'bitch').

MilanDragon

Juniors
Marketo remains the club's best utility option. He has demonstrated that he can satisfactorily fill in the back row, hooker, centres, and I say it, five-eighth at a pinch. His cover defence as a lighter framed forward is pretty f**king good.

*Waits for the anticipated torrent of ridicule*.

Failing this, I'd like to see more of Havili as I doubt McInnes can sustain continuous 80 minute 'spells' over a long season.

Of course, Mann should've been given an opportunity of securing a spot in the halves, but unfortunately, McGregor is a little 'shlow' (sic),

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else who wouldn't mind seeing if Tyrone McCarthy can offer something, particularly during the SOO period?

If the Dragons can negotiate the next three weeks by securing at least two victories, the year really could open up in a very positive manner (although playing Manly at Brookvale is going to be a real 'bitch').

You're probably not far from the mark Jimmy, but Marketo is a 'safe' option and doesn't add the X factor we can get from say Mann in the #17 jersey. The problem is that Mann isn't being used either.