What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team: Saints v Brisbane

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[SIZE=+1]Soward to Debut for Dragons, Thorby to make NRL Debut[/SIZE]

Written by: Dragons Media
May 29th 2007 05:04 PM

New recruit Jamie Soward has been named a halfback and Ricky Thorby [pictured] will become the 11th Dragon to make his NRL debut this year against the Broncos at OKI Jubilee Stadium on Friday night.

Soward will partner Rangi Chase in the halves and Thorby will come from the interchange in a reshuffled Dragons team.

Matt Cooper will Captain the Dragons in the absence of Co-Captains Mark Gasnier, Jason Ryles and Ben Hornby.

Unavailable Dragons are:
Mark Gasnier (Pectoral), Wes Naiqama (Knee), Dean Young (Knee), Ben Hornby (Calf), Brett Morris (Shoulder), Ashton Sims (Knee) and Jason Ryles (Knee) and Tom Hewitt (Hamstring).

NRL Dragons
v Brisbane Broncos
7.30pm Friday 1 June
Oki Jubilee Stadium

Coach: Nathan Brown

1. Josh MORRIS
2. Jason NIGHTINGALE
3. Beau SCOTT
4. Matt COOPER ©
5. Chase STANLEY
6. Rangi CHASE
7. Jamie SOWARD
8. Justin POORE
9. Simon WOOLFORD
10. Dan HUNT
11. Corey PAYNE
12. Chris HOUSTON
13. Ben CREAGH
14. Adam PEEK
15. Danny WICKS
16. Lagi SETU
17. Ben ELLIS
18. Ricky THORBY

Premier League Dragons
v North Sydney Bears
5.30pm Friday 1 June
Oki Jubilee Stadium

Coach: Steven Price

1. Richard WILLIAMS
2. Rota SETU
3. Brad DAVIDSON
4. Keith LULIA
5. Frank SAMIA
6. Reece BLAYNEY
7. Mathew HEAD
8. Charlie LEAENO
9. Tony CAINE
10. Ricardo YOUNG
11. Ryan POWELL (c)
12. Sam ISEMONGER
13. Matt PRIOR
14. Casey ELLIS
15. James JIMENEZ
16. Rhys LOVEGROVE
17. Daniel FEPULEAI
18. Brian WEST

WWW.JUBILEEAVENUE.COM.AU

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Brisbane have named their team to face St George Illawarra this Friday at OKI Jubilee Stadium.

1. K Hunt
2. S Michaels
3. D Boyd
4. J Hodges
5. B Tate
6. D Lockyer
7. M Ennis
8. B Hannant
9. S Berrigan
10. P Civoniceva
11. D Stagg
12. B Thorn
13. T Carroll

14. J Moon
15. G Eastwood
16. D Carlaw
17. C Parker
18. S Thaiday

Father Ted

First Grade
Willow said:
Brisbane have named their team to face St George Illawarra this Friday at OKI Jubilee Stadium.

1. K Hunt
2. S Michaels
3. D Boyd
4. J Hodges
5. B Tate
6. D Lockyer
7. M Ennis
8. B Hannant
9. S Berrigan
10. P Civoniceva
11. D Stagg
12. B Thorn
13. T Carroll

14. J Moon
15. G Eastwood
16. D Carlaw
17. C Parker
18. S Thaiday

Thats a pretty strong line up their sending down . Hmmm 18 players is that precaution or is someone carrying an injury ?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm amazed Brown dropped Head. A good sign, but amazed none the less that he made the call. Or did Uncle Peter?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Father Ted said:
Thats a pretty strong line up their sending down . Hmmm 18 players is that precaution or is someone carrying an injury ?

Well Thaiday is in our top 17 normally, so if he is fit he'll come in HOPEFULLY for Carlaw. Carlaw is always good for his 4 errors a game! Soward back for you guys is a big positive IMO, I am not expecting a blowout either way. Will be close. Best of luck Dragons.

Father Ted

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Well Thaiday is in our top 17 normally, so if he is fit he'll come in HOPEFULLY for Carlaw. Carlaw is always good for his 4 errors a game! Soward back for you guys is a big positive IMO, I am not expecting a blowout either way. Will be close. Best of luck Dragons.

Samr to you . I take it your not a big Carlaw fan ?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Father Ted said:
Samr to you . I take it your not a big Carlaw fan ?

Carlaw started well and I was first to give him congrats early on..but recently he has been playing the exact same way that every single broncos fan hated last year. You can definately see the difference between Thaiday, Hannant's, and Civo's hitups compared to Carlaw's. And lets be realistic here Thaiday is more likely to win a match than Carlaw.

Onto the dragons although it looks doom and gloom, I think Soward is one of the best buys you could get, great kicking game, and a dead set sharpshooter in terms of goalkicking(will turn most tries into 6). Head honestly needs time to get confidence back, but he really needs to work on his defence, gone are the days where you can hide a halfback on the wing. Soward has worked very hard on his defence and is reaping the rewards even though he hasn't played much this year. Scott in the centres is a good move as well. Next year will be a great year for you guys, sooner or later these kids would have needed to get experience. Best of Luck.

dragonfire

Bench
should be an interesting match, want to see how Brisbane play after last weekend and whether the origin positivity can carry through for them. Least we actually have a bit of spark in the halves this week, we need to be getting some points on the board to give the guys some confidence. Forward battle will be good i hope, i thought Hannant was more of a 2nd rower??? Cant wait for a good night of friday footy and just hope we can get out of it injury free. Expecting a big game from Coops, Morris and Soward

The Preacher

First Grade
At the start of the year who would've thought this would be the lineup we'd be barracking for in June. It dead set looks like a premier league team sheet.
Ah f**k it, Go you mighty Dragons

borat

Bench
Southernsaint said:
I think our forwards are going to get crushed...

I think we will get crushed end of story, Broncs by 50+ and thats with my red and white glasses on.

I can't fathom the thinking behind throwing Soward into halfback with all of 2 training sessions under his belt with a 5/8th who has played all of 1-2 first grade games and none at 5/8th. Thats lambs to the slaughter stuff.

At least Matty Head knows the plays, as sh*tty as they are. I would have given Soward a week or two in PL to find his feet and then throw him in. An anihilation this weekend is hardly going to do his confidence any good when he has been at the club all of 5 seconds.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well I've booked my air ticket, checked out the trains timetable and I've got my walking boots on. Plus its a good excuse for you other sad sacks to keep me off the wagon afterwards. At least I don't have to drive till the next day.

That's five modes of transport mentioned in the one post... ;-) It'll have to do.

Godz Illa

Coach
The teams look evenly matched, in that we have only 9 players who had played first grade before this season, and the Broncos have only 9 internationals.

I say our long winning streak v Brisbane will continue!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
borat said:
I think we will get crushed end of story, Broncs by 50+ and thats with my red and white glasses on.

I can't fathom the thinking behind throwing Soward into halfback with all of 2 training sessions under his belt with a 5/8th who has played all of 1-2 first grade games and none at 5/8th. Thats lambs to the slaughter stuff.

At least Matty Head knows the plays, as sh*tty as they are. I would have given Soward a week or two in PL to find his feet and then throw him in. An anihilation this weekend is hardly going to do his confidence any good when he has been at the club all of 5 seconds.

Brown's probably using the same theory SoO selectors used a few years ago when they put Finch into the side at the last minute. I'd say they're looking for the same type of result.

Change for changes sake is silly. But at the moment, change is required as the status quo is not working. Soward is an excellent individual player and elements such as his kicking and running game will remain despite lack of cohesion with the squad. It's his organising of the ruck that will be the biggest problem, and I dare say Woolford will be doing the majority of that Friday night.

I do not expect to Head to see FG again this year if Soward stays injury free and can show some of the talent he posseses.

Ribs

Bench
I have no problem with throwing him in there. If we didnt need him we wouldnt have gone and signed him. Given the performance of our halves in recent weeks I think he deserves a go and to be honest, I think we will see a fairly simple game plan against the Broncos to accommodate him. Given our handling of all the other game plans, I think a simple one might be just the answer. Also, he will be stinging to get out there and play, which is more than can be said of our forward pack.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Southernsaint said:
I think our forwards are going to get crushed...

That's my thoughts. I don't think we'll get thrashed... but I don't think we're gonna cause them too many headaches.