What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

jamaman

Juniors
Really? I have benry in front of bukuya with ball in hand and defense. What bukuya does have is raw mongrel. Will never forget the golf ball he left on Ian Hendersons head in the 2008 World Cup.

Ben Henry is the most talented player in the nrl!

JJ

Immortal
I wouldn't really worry about forwards from SL. For sure it's a gamble, if you'd asked me how players like Sam Moa or Mike Cooper would go in the NRL before they moved, I'd have told you to look in reserve grade. Seriously, the guys I mentioned are in a completely different league to those guys. But moving players across the world does have it's risks, no doubt.

With respect, I disagree - quite frankly I feel you're overrating your wing stocks because they're your juniors.

Vatuvei is a great weapon, but infinitely exploitable by any winger with a bit of speed (and a team with suppliers with any nous to get behind/around him). He isn't the youngest and the inevitable shift closer to the middle is only getting closer.

Fusitua is very young and very raw, but no question he seems to have the potential - but I imagine it'll take a fair bit of time to bring his defence to standard.

Allwood... well I'll have to see him away from the basketcase that is the Raiders to judge him fairly.

For me, maybe this is a personal thing, but players like Kata and Laumape should not be on the wing unless you're desperate. Sure they will have the bulk to physically defend, but they're both too damn short (and without the jump to compensate) to be anything other than a liability, especially when they already have players of a similar stature as their centre. IMO it's just asking for trouble.

Fisiiahi may get somewhere if he can keep his speed - which is never a certainty even for the less injury prone - and grow up a lot more in the way he plays, and importantly defends. I'd class him as a maybe, but in first grade I clearly haven't seen what you guys have faith in with him.

Your team seem keen to sign Matai - if it were me I would bother with a guy about to hit the cliff in terms of ability, I'd be after a young winger without the glaring holes in their game. SL is finally starting to produce the same type of backs that Australia has been using for years - tall, fast, strong and with great rugby instincts.

With respect, I think you're overrating the English game

Fast Eddie

First Grade
With respect, I think you're overrating the English game

Or you underestimate players who are or very soon to be English Internationals, especially considering the recent record. But Dennis Betts in 1996 I suppose.

I believe Boviricks point is that you get these 23-24 year olds who are currently on the fringe of the English team, don't have to pay big money and you could quite possibly pick up a very good NRL player on a great deal.

Last edited:

Big Marn

Juniors
Its not that long ago that Newcastle had a great little winger from the UK.

Carney i think his name was.

JJ

Immortal
Or you underestimate players who are or very soon to be English Internationals, especially considering the recent record. But Dennis Betts in 1996 I suppose.

I believe Boviricks point is that you get these 23-24 year olds who are currently on the fringe of the English team, don't have to pay big money and you could quite possibly pick up a very good NRL player on a great deal.

Not at all - as we've seen with Tomkins, no guarantee they will slip smoothly into the NTL grind, and relatively my understanding is that you do have to overpay.

Matulino is a world class prop, Lillyman is international class at the moment (although will never play for Aust), Rapira when fit is a similar level, and Matagi is fine as a 4th... If Matulino is to play in the back row, then we need a prop, either way we need one, but a bench prop who can provide 20-30 mins of good go forward - that's all.

If we really want to compete for the premiership, the big money should surely be thrown at a 5/8 (Townsend and Leuluai both do good things, but neither are terribly good) or a hooker to succeed Friend (I don't get the Havili love, nor am I convinced TL can do it all season)

ozbash

Referee
If we really want to compete for the premiership, the big money should surely be thrown at a 5/8 (Townsend and Leuluai both do good things, but neither are terribly good) or a hooker to succeed Friend (I don't get the Havili love, nor am I convinced TL can do it all season)

agree with you on the 6 but I think Havili should get a chance to step up from NSWRL, which I think he could.

Nafe Seluini wouldn't mind coming home either..

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Not at all - as we've seen with Tomkins, no guarantee they will slip smoothly into the NTL grind, and relatively my understanding is that you do have to overpay.

Matulino is a world class prop, Lillyman is international class at the moment (although will never play for Aust), Rapira when fit is a similar level, and Matagi is fine as a 4th... If Matulino is to play in the back row, then we need a prop, either way we need one, but a bench prop who can provide 20-30 mins of good go forward - that's all.

The salary cap is almost double in the NRL than the super league. The top players there usually make $300-400k Aus.

Who has been overpaid in relation to their last salary, the 2x salary cap?

Last edited:
agree with you on the 6 but I think Havili should get a chance to step up from NSWRL, which I think he could.

Nafe Seluini wouldn't mind coming home either..

Oz you have had massive raps on him for about 5-6 seasons now. He is now on the bench for Burleigh bears. Sadly his career is going South rather than North

Jnrs up 52-0 after 67 against raiders. Some bizarre commentary from our Aussie mates -
Have been pretty critical of our boys and making out the raiders have been hard done by...... We're 52 points up for gods sake.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Nafe is the prime example of the hang wringing that goes on from warriors fans when we let one of these 'super stars' go from our juniors programme. Apart from Hiku NONE of them have amounted to anything.

Feki has done well, and I'm curious to see how Robinson goes for the Titans next year as he was starting to progress nicely for the Panthers.

Agreed though, our "talent drain" is hardly at the levels some would have people believe.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Juniors did the job, 54-6. Travel etc not a factor for them, and many of them would be less experienced with the trip. So no excuses today...

Feki has done well, and I'm curious to see how Robinson goes for the Titans next year as he was starting to progress nicely for the Panthers.

Agreed though, our "talent drain" is hardly at the levels some would have people believe.

Feki is ok, but most likely be in NSW cup of he were still here.
Robinson the same really, but a good honest player.

The grief expressed when we lost Likiliki, nafe, ioane, Sao really laughable.

Lossy

Juniors
The grief expressed when we lost Likiliki, nafe, ioane, Sao really laughable.
Agreed. No one to grind my teeth over. Even Hiku, as good as he is. Though Hiku and Leeson Ah Mau would find a place in our current squad. Hiku starting. Ah Mau on the bench.

Last edited: