What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Brisbane

Bazzi

First Grade
St. George Bank Dragons prop Jon Green is anticipating a “big game” atmosphere for their semi-finals clash with the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on Saturday.
The Beenleigh junior is part of Head Coach Wayne Bennett’s 18-man squad named for the trip north of the border and expects a close encounter in the knock-out blockbuster.
“We all know we have the opportunity to progress and have been training hard for what will be a tough trip up north,” said Green.
“The Broncos have had a great run of form in recent weeks so we intend on playing to our strengths when we take to the field.
“As a player you always want to play in the big games and this is one of them so we’re excited about it as I’m sure they will be too.”

NRL v Broncos

6.45pm Saturday, September 17
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Coach:
Wayne Bennett

1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby (c)
8. Dan Hunt
9. Nathan Fien
10. Michael Weyman
11. Beau Scott
12. Ben Creagh
13. Dean Young
14. Jon Green
15. Matt Prior
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Trent Merrin
18. Mitch Rein

Unavailable Dragons: Peter Cronin (Knee, 2012); Bronx Goodwin (Knee, 2012); Kyle Stanley (Shoulder, 2012).

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.a...=43509&title=green-ready-for-semi-final-clash

redvwhite

Juniors
I did hear Wayne make mention of Kyle's bad run of injury but wasn't aware he was not available for selection. I guess that makes the choice easier to leave him out. Seems like Green is expecting to play so you can expect Adam to miss out it seems but he should get a go ahead of Prior who has went all quiet.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Hodges is apparently under scrutiny after leaving the training paddock early but is expected to play

THE NRMA Insurance Broncos will be brimming with confidence this morning after the same team that downed the Warriors was named for week two of the finals.
The same 17 that beat the Warriors 40-10 will attempt to keep the Broncos' titles hopes alive against the Dragons in the semi-final at Suncorp on Saturday night.
For the winner is a date with number-two ranked Manly on Friday week in Sydney for the grand final qualifier.
This week's loser is finished for the year.
The only player missing from the Broncos' team is second rower Sam Thaiday, who must serve this week to complete his suspension.
If the Broncos can beat the Dragons, Thaiday will be eligible to play in the preliminary final.
Broncos team to play Dragons, Saturday 6.45pm atSuncorp Stadium:
1 Gerard Beale
2 Dale Copley
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges
5 Jharal Yow Yeh
6 Darren Lockyer (c)
7 Peter Wallace
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Ben Hannant
11 Alex Glenn
12 Ben Te’o
13 Corey Parker
Interchange
14 Matt Gillett
15 Ben Hunt
16 Scott Anderson
17 David Hala
Coach Anthony Griffin

redvwhite

Juniors
That's a strong team. I'll be expecting them to hold the trophy aloft at least once over the next few years.

Cagey Mac

Bench
That's a strong team. I'll be expecting them to hold the trophy aloft at least once over the next few years.
I agree and a big fast side too
They are however very young and who knows, if we can rattle their cages and put constant pressure on their veterans (Lockyer, Hannant, Hodges and Parker) the big game pressure may get to them

Injuries to Hoffman, hammy problems to Hodges and Thaiday's timely suspension give us a better chance but we'll need to be red hot on their dung hill

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
You can bet Cuthbertson wont play (hes probaly short on match fitness now, thanks to his non inclusion recently)...and imo theres lies Part 2 of our problem Our bench..... and Part 1 Our front row....unfortunately I guess theres nothing left in the bank to pick from.....c'mon boys make me eat my words I DARE YOU.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
seems weird that the only change is to demote Rein from staring given he was one of the better performed..
Jon Green surely shouldnt make the 17 given his abysmal game against the tigers...

Tim Smith

Juniors
Why does Bennett insist on naming Reign at 18 and then start him. Of the games I have seen lately when Reign is at starting hooker we explode out of the blocks and then fade when he is replaced. I'd love to see him given the 9 and plenty more minutes, Young at lock and Prior on the bench

st.phil

Bench
cuthbo will play...he just has to and not even wayne is that stubborn. Off loads are the key to improving / varying our attack...if cuthbo can pop a few balls we can get sowie, boyd, gaz running...which gives us a good chance of beating any opposition.

Just been looking at Broncos form and sure, its 7 wins in a row, but against slightly softer opposition.

Warriors courtesy of the Beast last week handed them at least 18 points. Manly and Souths were busted when they played them and they only just held each of those off.

I think they present roughly the same challenge for us that the Tigers did last week.

If we have learnt from that and have the desire we are right in this....

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
cuthbo will play...he just has to and not even wayne is that stubborn. Off loads are the key to improving / varying our attack...if cuthbo can pop a few balls we can get sowie, boyd, gaz running...which gives us a good chance of beating any opposition.
Mate love to think your right but I think Cuthbo is on the plane for insurance purposes only.....Im just amazed.. he has shown so much improvement since Manly/ Cronulla and he hasnt been used to show his full pontential... you cant keep stop starting players week after week and expect results..even if its just to get some combinations going in the pack...and to put it bluntly Green and Prior have hardly set the world on fire lately have they....and we wonder why (salary cap issues aside) blokes move on to other clubs......

TheRev

First Grade
Wayne doesnt like to give away his team till the last moment.

Rein will play, and ill be shocked if Cuthbo doesnt either, unless hes done something to annoy the coach, he and Creagh are our most dangerous forwards.

dragons__

Juniors
* Rein to start with Fein to the bench
* Green to drop off the extended bench
* Young to the bench and Prior into lock

The spark Young gave, not only the forwards, but the entire team, off the bench when he just came back from injury is something we have really been missing recently. Keep him outta the grind early on, then bring him into the game with the sole duty of running straight and hard!

We got this!

Latest posts