What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible news, Lance Thompson passes away overnight

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I found the tribute to be lacklustre and flat.

Sorry to disagree with you.

The club could’ve done more to celebrate Thommo’s life and achievements, in my opinion.
IMO, it should be about remembering and that's where the moment's silence is important. I was at the top of the stairs in the NW stand and had a very good view of the ground and the crowd. Those in attendance were very solemn in showing respect. At the end of the day that's what the tribute and remembrance should be about. At least that's how I saw it from my vantage point.

IMO, it should be about remembering and that's where the moment's silence is important. I was at the top of the stairs in the NW stand and had a very good view of the ground and the crowd. Those in attendance were very solemn in showing respect. At the end of the day that's what the tribute and remembrance should be about. At least that's how I saw it from my vantage point.

I'm with you Willow. I was on the hill and everyone was completely quiet, very respectful - 100% of the crowd (almost all others I've been have had the odd idiot yelling out something). Very humbling and in my opinion a very fitting way to pay respect to Lance Thompson and his family.

getsmarty

Immortal
Lance Thompson gone, but never forgotten
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_0_2052_1358_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Legend: Lance Thompson celebrates with Dragons fans after St George's preliminary final win over North Sydney in 1996. Picture: Simon Alekna

• St George Illawarra and Cronulla paid tribute to Lance Thompson on Sunday after the death of the former Dragons and Sharks hero.

Thompson was found dead at his Cronulla unit on Thursday night after police and paramedics were called to his home.

A report was being prepared for the coroner but police said there were no suspicious circumstances or evidence of self harm.

Thompson was 40-years-old.

The St George and shire rugby league communities have been in mourning, with family, friends, former teammates and fans remembering a hero of the red V and the black, white and blue.

The Dragons and Sharks hosted Canterbury and Newcastle respectively at Jubilee Oval and Shark Park on Sunday, with the teams wearing black armbands.

The Sharks also retired their number 12 jersey for their win over the Knights, with Wade Graham wearing 23.

Dragons forward Tariq Sims presented his own number 12 jersey and his playing boots to Thompson’s daughter, Shalisse, after their loss to the Bulldogs.

A two-time Australian Schoolboys representative and Hurstville United junior, Thompson made his first grade debut for St George as a 17-year-old while still a student at Kingsgrove High School in 1995.

He went on to play 239 games for St George and St George Illawarra including two grand finals – the Dragons’ 1996 loss to Manly and St George Illawarra’s defeat to Melbourne three years later.

He enjoyed a 14-season first grade career, his final three with Cronulla after he joined the Sharks for the start of the 2006 campaign.

Thompson played 38 games in the black, white and blue before announcing his retirement due to an ongoing knee injury as well as being diagnosed with type one diabetes.

Thompson was a fan favourite at Jubilee Oval and Shark Park and also represented City Origin five times.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor, a former teammate of Thompson’s, said it had been a tough week.

r0_58_4361_2510_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Gesture: Dragons forward Tariq Sims presents Lance Thompson's daughter, Shalisse, with his number 12 jersey and boots on Sunday. Picture: AAP Image

“We only shared texts on Sunday actually so, tragic circumstances. Big T is a good man,” he said.

“One of the most committed footballers I’ve seen take to the football field. Strong character, played with passion and purpose. It’s been a tough 36 hours to be honest with you.”

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan, who was also a friend of Thompson’s, said his death put many things in perspective.

”It’s still pretty raw at the moment. [I’m] still in a bit of shock about it. He’s a wonderful person,” he said.

“It’s been [tough] obviously with Lance. Gal in particular was probably the only one who played with him. All our players we went to Lance’s a lot and had lunch there. He’s been around our club for a long period of time so it’s been a tough week.

“My condolences go out to the Thompson family. Everyone is going to gather around them and support them. We thank the NRL for allowing us to do what we did today.

“He also worked here when he finished playing, he lived locally, and I’ve had a lot to do with him over the last couple of years. “

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5608443/thompson-gone-but-never-forgotten/?cs=3833

ouryears

Bench
If it was my father who passed away and the I witnessed our capitulation out on the field......I would be very upset and pissed off.

Maybe I would even call the gummie sharks to join a half decent team till our mob was cleaned out by exterminators from Flick Pest Control.

Mr Red

First Grade

Agree , however I did like the way the sharks retired number 12 for the day...very touching. Kinda like going into battle without your comrade by your side....

aquiin

Juniors
My friend was disgusted.
Her father, 97 years old, oldest living Dragons member was given the honour of tossing the coin.
They were told it was not going to be shown on Nine, there was no screencoverage or announcement at the ground.
The whole club is a joke.

I believe this was about Channel 9 changing the telecast time and coverage with the Netball GF.

Life's Good

Coach
For me, the most disgraceful part was the on field effort. If the players had a dig then there wouldn’t be an issue with the tribute to Thommo. The fact the players(not all)phoned it in just increased our fury making everything the club did ripe for the picking(easy to do kind you so I surely understand the views).

getsmarty

Immortal
Rugby league community gathers to farewell Lance Thompson at his funeral in Sutherland
NRL Premiership
  • September 7, 2018 2:22pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
36a1fecc6f461d592beaeb9b490625be

Lance Thompson's casket arrives at the Horizon Church, Sutherland ahead of his funeral.Source: News Corp Australia
A who’s who of rugby league gathered in Sydney to farewell Lance Thompson, who was laid to rest on Friday.

Lance Thompson was a warrior on the field and a gentlemen off it during his 239 NRL game career, representing the Dragons and the Sharks.

Such was his impact on rugby league, that hundreds of people flocked to Horizon Church in Sutherland as the league community came together to honour Thompson’s memory.

Finals Week 1
Former teammates from the Dragons and Sharks, including Trent Barrett, Anthony Mundine, Mark Gasnier and Brett Kimmorley were there to say farewell to Thompson.

Fox League’s Andrew Voss and Mark Gasnier delivered the eulogies in front of the packed congregation.

Sharks’ coach and skipper Shane Flanagan and Paul Gallen were also in attendance.

Thompson passed away at the age of 40 last month, believed to be from natural causes leaving behind three beautiful children.

Rest in peace Lance.

78f3fb5c5d2dec132c219d2bcdc06d37

Order of Service for Lance Thompson’s funeral.Source: Supplied
e4329b703de1088270896806296cb60b

Anthony Mundine.Source: News Corp Australia
385575b8bfce46122983994777026f7c

Paul Gallen and his wife Anne arrive at Lance Thompson's funeral.Source: News Corp Australia
Brett Kimmorley arrives at Lance Thompson's funeral.Source: News Corp Australia
8de56e21d6b9878c60b3e3d4a3c10ece

Trent Barrett and wife Kylie arrive to pay their respects.Source: News Corp Australia

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/351a2f1a490252119c78e7f5ed3ff9eb

getsmarty

Immortal

NRL NEWS

Lance Thompson funeral: A fitting farewell
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 7 Sep 2018, 05:44 PM

Lance Thompson used to change his name in the phone contacts of St George Illawarra team-mates to that of Dragons CEO Peter Doust and send them worrying text messages.

That anecdote, recounted by former St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier, was one of many told about the popular and respected forward during a funeral service on Friday which left those in attendance in tears from both laughter and sadness after his sudden passing.

"I remember Chris Anderson once said 'you can't have a good football team without a good red head' and Thommo was one of the best redheads I have known both on and off the field," Gasnier said.

Former team-mates and representatives of the Dragons, Sharks and wider NRL community joined Thompson's family and friends to honour the memory of a player renowned for his passion, toughness, wholeheartedness and wicked sense of humour.

Among them were Anthony Mundine, Trent Barrett, Luke Bailey, Ben Hornby, David Barnhill, Jason Stevens, Nathan Brown, Shaun Timmins, Mark Riddell, Dean Young, Willie Peters, Paul Gallen, Brett Kimmorley, Adam Peek and Martin Taupau.

1-83.jpg

The funeral for Lance Thompson. :copyright:St George and Sutherland Shire Leader
Cronulla chief executive Barry Russell, coach Shane Flanagan, St George Illawarra chairman Brian Johnston, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, former ARL boss Geoff Carr and Daryl Brohman were others in attendance.

They heard from Thompson's father Brian how:

• A 14-year-old Thompson used a pair of pliers taken from the family shed to pull the wiring from a broken jaw. "Then he went up to McDonald's in South Hurstville and got five junior burgers";
  • Thompson broke a 23-year-old swimming record that was only bettered a decade later by Olympian Kenrick Munk. "That's not bad for a little broken down footballer", and;
  • He captained a NSW CHS team featuring the likes of Brett Hodgson, Matt Gidley, Kevin McGuiness, John Skandalis, Luke Williamson and Ron Jones to victory at the National Championship. "Our young fellow won man of the match, which I was extremely proud of".
All of those feats were before Thompson began his 239 game NRL career as a 17-year-old schoolboy with St George in 1995, playing in the 1996 grand final and the 1999 decider in the first year of the joint venture with Illawarra

His last game was with Cronulla in 2008 and 17-year-old daughter Shalisse described being carried around Shark Park by her dad on his farewell lap as one of her greatest memories.

"That was the moment I realised anything was possible and my dad was a true legend and hero," she said.

Thompson's partner Hayley Williams, with whom he fathered twins Lachlan and Laylah, said: "If you were lucky enough to know Lance on a personal level you would know that he was all heart on and off the field".

12-36.jpg

Lance Thompson's No.12 on the field at Southern Cross Group Stadium. :copyright:St George and Sutherland Shire Leader
A doting father to his three children, Shalisse outlined some of Thompson's "unique parenting skills".

"He taught me every Eminem song at the age of eight. That was the only time I was allowed to swear," she said.

"To help me learn maths we made up a game we called the V drink game. Dad thought it was a great idea that every correct answer I said he would give me a sip of V. By the time I arrived at school I was bouncing off the walls and teachers called up my mum asking what I had had for breakfast."

"Dad and I shared a love of good T-bone steak, spaghetti, footy and WWE wrestling. Dad used to let me have a day off school so we could have a feast and watch Wrestlemania."

Fox Sports commentator Andrew Voss was among others to deliver eulogies at the service, which was conducted by former leading referee and official Greg McCallum, and he recalled first meeting Thompson after a schoolboy's match he called in 1994.

3-67.jpg

Dragons prop Paul Vaughan and a supporter at Lance Thompson's funeral. :copyright:St George and Sutherland Shire Leader
Voss recently conducted the last interview with Thompson before his tragic death aged 40 on August 23 from natural causes.

"Lance could not possibly know how respected he was by rugby league fans," Voss said.

"When we first played the interview on Fox, the reaction came from fans everywhere; 'what a great bloke', 'loved him as a player', 'what a character Thommo was' – all from people he had never met.

"Lance Thompson proved that in this great sport of rugby league you don't need to have played for your country, you don't need to have played State of Origin, you don't need to have won grand finals to be regarded as a champion.

"As high as any honour you can achieve in this sport is respect and I am left with no doubt whatsoever that Lance Thompson had the respect of every team-mate, every opponent and every fan. That being the case he leaves us at the top of rugby league."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/07...er-friend-and-rugby-league-player-remembered/

getsmarty

Immortal
Hundreds turn out to pay respects at funeral of Lance Thompson
  • AFL
    +50
    Hundreds of mourners turned out to farewell Lance Thompson on Friday.

The 40-year-old’s funeral was held at Horizons Convention Centre at Sutherland with a number of rugby league identities including former teammates making an appearance to pay their respects.

Thompson was found dead at his Cronulla unit on the night of August 23 after police and paramedics were called to his home.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances or evidence of self harm.

r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

A wake was held for Lance Thompson back at Sharks League Club. The club produced a special tribute to Thompson, mowing his No.12 into the Shark Park playing surface, an idea of great mate Flanagan. Picture: Chris Lane

Cronulla and St George Illawarra coaches Shane Flanagan and Paul McGregor were both in attendance along with Sharks and Dragons stars Paul Gallen, Wade Graham, Andrew Fifita and Paul Vaughan.

Former Dragons teammate Anthony Mundine was there alongside former Sharks halfback Brett Kimmorley.

A wake was held for Thompson back at Sharks League Club. The club produced a special tribute to Thompson, mowing his No.12 into the Shark Park playing surface, an idea of great mate Flanagan.

Read more: 'A larrikin, life of the party' - Matt Cooper on his mate Thommo

A two-time Australian Schoolboys representative and Hurstville United junior, Thompson made his first grade debut for St George as a 17-year-old while still a student at Kingsgrove High School in 1995.

r0_0_804_1119_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Anthony Mundine and Lance Thompson

He went on to play 239 games for St George and St George Illawarra including two grand finals – the Dragons’ 1996 loss to Manly and St George Illawarra’s defeat to Melbourne three years later.

He enjoyed a 14-season first grade career, his final three with Cronulla after he joined the Sharks for the start of the 2006 campaign.

Thompson played 38 games in the black, white and blue before announcing his retirement due to an ongoing knee injury as well as being diagnosed with type one diabetes.

He also represented City Origin five times.

Thompson was a fan favourite at Jubilee Oval and Shark Park, with both St George Illawarra and Cronulla wearing black armbands and paying tribute to him before their home matches against Canterbury and Newcastle last month.

The Sharks also retired their No.12 jersey that day, with Graham wearing No.23 out of respect for Thompson.

Dragons forward Tariq Sims presented his own number 12 jersey and his playing boots to Thompson’s daughter, Shalisse, after their loss to the Bulldogs.

r0_43_2157_1256_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Lance Thompson with his then four-year-old daughter Shalisse in 2005.

ouryears

Bench
Hundreds turn out to pay respects at funeral of Lance Thompson
  • AFL
    +50Hundreds of mourners turned out to farewell Lance Thompson on Friday.

The 40-year-old’s funeral was held at Horizons Convention Centre at Sutherland with a number of rugby league identities including former teammates making an appearance to pay their respects.

Thompson was found dead at his Cronulla unit on the night of August 23 after police and paramedics were called to his home.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances or evidence of self harm.

r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

A wake was held for Lance Thompson back at Sharks League Club. The club produced a special tribute to Thompson, mowing his No.12 into the Shark Park playing surface, an idea of great mate Flanagan. Picture: Chris Lane

Cronulla and St George Illawarra coaches Shane Flanagan and Paul McGregor were both in attendance along with Sharks and Dragons stars Paul Gallen, Wade Graham, Andrew Fifita and Paul Vaughan.

Former Dragons teammate Anthony Mundine was there alongside former Sharks halfback Brett Kimmorley.

A wake was held for Thompson back at Sharks League Club. The club produced a special tribute to Thompson, mowing his No.12 into the Shark Park playing surface, an idea of great mate Flanagan.

Read more: 'A larrikin, life of the party' - Matt Cooper on his mate Thommo

r0_0_804_1119_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Anthony Mundine and Lance Thompson

He also represented City Origin five times.

Thompson was a fan favourite at Jubilee Oval and Shark Park, with both St George Illawarra and Cronulla wearing black armbands and paying tribute to him before their home matches against Canterbury and Newcastle last month.

The Sharks also retired their No.12 jersey that day, with Graham wearing No.23 out of respect for Thompson.

r0_43_2157_1256_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Lance Thompson with his then four-year-old daughter Shalisse in 2005.
Farewell Thommo, many, many of us will miss you mate.

getsmarty

Immortal
lance-thompson-4042541.jpg

DRAGONS

CC Babcoq to host Lance Thompson charity night
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 8 Feb 2019, 12:57 AM

CC Babcoq and its owners, brothers Harry and Mario Kapoulas, will host a Lance Thompson charity night on Wednesday, February 27.

In August 2018, former St George and Cronulla great Lance Thompson tragically passed away at just 40 years old, leaving behind his beloved children who are in need of ongoing financial support.

The inaugural CC Babcoq ingredients and charity night will donate 10 per cent of their takings on the night to support Thompson’s children.

The night will cost $95 per head and will include a specialty cocktail, two starters, two mains, two sides and dessert.

The Kapoulas' brothers have been St George Illawarra Dragons fans their entire lives.

"We grew up watching Lance play and he was legendary," Harry said.

"We were all very saddened when he passed away. It was obvious that we would support the charity set up for his children, who desperately need financial help.

"On the night one ingredient (tomatoes) will be chosen and every dish made will include this ingredient."

The specialty cocktail will also include tomatoes on the night. Moving forward, the cause and the ingredient will change each month.

"The ingredients and charity night is designed to encourage the community to try something different while supporting a worthy cause," Harry said. "We hope that the locals will get behind us in making these nights a success."

To enquire about the ingredients and charity night, contact Harry Kapoulas on 0422 932 600.

There is also an upcoming charity luncheon for Lance Thompson's children. For more details, contact Emma Bailey on 0416 287 844 or via Emma.Bailey@virginaustralia.com.

To make a booking, email CC Babcoq via info@ccbabcoq.co or call 0420 955 844.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/08/cc-babcoq-to-host-lance-thompson-charity-night/

SBD82

Coach
lance-thompson-4042541.jpg

DRAGONS

CC Babcoq to host Lance Thompson charity night
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 8 Feb 2019, 12:57 AM

CC Babcoq and its owners, brothers Harry and Mario Kapoulas, will host a Lance Thompson charity night on Wednesday, February 27.

In August 2018, former St George and Cronulla great Lance Thompson tragically passed away at just 40 years old, leaving behind his beloved children who are in need of ongoing financial support.

The inaugural CC Babcoq ingredients and charity night will donate 10 per cent of their takings on the night to support Thompson’s children.

The night will cost $95 per head and will include a specialty cocktail, two starters, two mains, two sides and dessert.

The Kapoulas' brothers have been St George Illawarra Dragons fans their entire lives.

"We grew up watching Lance play and he was legendary," Harry said.

"We were all very saddened when he passed away. It was obvious that we would support the charity set up for his children, who desperately need financial help.

"On the night one ingredient (tomatoes) will be chosen and every dish made will include this ingredient."

The specialty cocktail will also include tomatoes on the night. Moving forward, the cause and the ingredient will change each month.

"The ingredients and charity night is designed to encourage the community to try something different while supporting a worthy cause," Harry said. "We hope that the locals will get behind us in making these nights a success."

To enquire about the ingredients and charity night, contact Harry Kapoulas on 0422 932 600.

There is also an upcoming charity luncheon for Lance Thompson's children. For more details, contact Emma Bailey on 0416 287 844 or via Emma.Bailey@virginaustralia.com.

To make a booking, email CC Babcoq via info@ccbabcoq.co or call 0420 955 844.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/08/cc-babcoq-to-host-lance-thompson-charity-night/
Good on them. Nice story to hear.

Harry or Mario, if you're on here, good on you. Heartwarming stuff.

getsmarty

Immortal
nrl-2004-rd07-st.-george-illawarra-dragons-v-sydney-roosters---lance-thompson.jpg

NRL NEWS

Lance Thompson: Hard nut with a soft underbelly
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 15 Feb 2019, 05:54 PM
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

The player with the rock hard exterior and "soft underbelly" was remembered by more than 400 friends, family, teammates, coaches at a tribute luncheon in Sydney on Friday.

Lance Thompson died of natural causes on August 23 last year, leaving a vacuum in the hearts of the rugby league community.

But former Sharks coach Ricky Stuart, who mentored Thompson in the last two years of his playing career, said the warmth in the function room at Doltone House, Sylvania Waters, was the game at its best.

"He's left a beautiful wife and three children behind – one of the young six-year-olds is autistic and is going to need help and care – and the rugby league fraternity answered that call," Stuart told NRL.com.

"Today you could see the good in the game. It was nice so many faces were there throughout Lance's career. That's what the sport can do – it can bring people together who want to look after one another.

"The people there had Lance's back today. Lance didn't ask for it. It was all for his family.

lance3.jpg

Lance Thompson's mother Joan with former Dragon Anthony Mundine. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"I just wish more of the players today respected what the game can do for you, more so than abusing it. It's not about the individual. We've all got commitments and roles to do within our game.

"What I know about the goodness of rugby league, I saw there today."

Thompson's parents Brian and Joan were present, along with his 18-year-old daughter Shalisse, who was one of the guest speakers. Thompson also has six-year-old twins Lachlan and Laylah.

"He was a doting dad and just solid as a rock to his friends," said one of his closest friends, Mark Gambin – one of the chief organisers of the fundraiser.

"He was only 40 years-old so it took everyone by surprise as well as being a terrible shock," Gambin said.

"I hear him in my head all the time, especially setting up the room here for the function.

"There were plenty of photos of him around the place so he was watching over us all."

Other guest speakers were former Dragons teammates Trent Barrett and Anthony Mundine, boxing trainer Johnny Lewis who coached Thompson in several fights, and Sharks teammate Paul Gallen.

"He was just so fiercely competitive," Gallen told NRL.com.

"When he came to the club I was starting to make rep footy teams, and he always said to me ‘You know you would have been nothing without me’.

"I actually thank him for being such a great teammate. He helped me with the work rate I had to do at the club. His work rate took a little pressure off me and allowed me to shine a bit.

lance1.jpg

Lance Thompson's mother Joan with Sharks captain Paul Gallen. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"So without a doubt he had a massive influence on my career and helped me to where I got to."

Thompson played 239 first grade games – the majority with the Dragons (1995-2005) but the last 38 with Cronulla (2006-2008).

Barrett said Thompson as a teammate was as good as they get. The pair played in the 1999 grand final together in the Dragons' loss to Melbourne.

"I defended alongside him for a long time, so he looked after me plenty of times," Barrett told NRL.com.

"You always knew what you were going to get with Thommo. He was like that off the field too. He was a very loyal bloke, a very generous bloke."

Gambin and his team organised raffles and auction items ranging from overseas holidays, sporting memorabilia, corporate boxes at Randwick, and Sharks and Dragons home games.

The event raised $158,000 towards the financial security of Thompson's three children.

Gallen said there were moments of sadness offset by a lot of love and support for the Thompson family.

lance4.jpg

At the Lance Thompson Tribute are his parents Joan and Brian, Anthony Mundine, Trent Barrett and Johnny Lewis. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"I can’t imagine what his kids are going through, and his parents. I just caught up with his dad and gave his mum a cuddle and they were teary," Gallen said.

"It is emotional and being a parent myself, I can't imagine how hard it is for them."

The lunch was timely. It was held on the eve of Thompson's 41st birthday.

Donations to the Lance Thompson memorial fund: St George Back BSB: 112-879 Account: 451-646-572

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/16/lance-thompson-hard-nut-with-a-soft-underbelly/

getsmarty

Immortal