What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test squad for India?

Timbo

Staff member
Who would you take? I'm assuming that with four tests in trying conditions they'll take 15 players? I would go:

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Cartwright
S.Marsh
Head
Nevill
O'Keefe
Lyon
Starc
Hazlewood
Bird
Sayers

I wouldn't take a dedicated backup keeper because Handscomb can take over in an emergency. I lean towards Smarsh over Burns because of his ability against spin. No pace-bowling all-rounder other than Cartwright because I feel if they play an all-rounder it'll be a spinner, so I went for head - but would not be surprised if they pick Agar. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if they only take three quicks and take a third front line turner, in which case you'd leave Sayers out for Swepson.

I bet a billion dollars they pick Wade though.

Red Bear

Referee
Current squad of 13 except sub Nevill for Wade.

Smarsh.

Head.

Far from sold on travis head or Cartwright. Dont think a 4th quick is needed though. I think this tour shows why they were so desperate for Mitch Marsh to fulfil his ability. A fast bowling all rounder allowing two spinners to play comfortably would be useful.

TIM !!!!!!

Juniors
My squad

Warner (vc)
Renshaw
Smith (c)
Khawaja
Handscomb
Cartwright
Agar
Head
Wade/Nevill (wk)
Starc
Hazelwood
Bird
Zampa
Lyon
O'Keefe

Best 11
Warner (vc)
Renshaw
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Head
Cartwright
Wade/Nevill (wk)
Starc
Hazelwood
Zampa
Lyon

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
1. David Warner
2. Matt Renshaw
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steven Smith (c)
5. Peter Handscomb
6. Shaun Marsh
7. Peter Nevill (wk)
8. Mitchell Starc
9. Stephen O'Keefe
10. Nathan Lyon
11, Josh Hazlewood

12. Jackson Bird
13. Glenn Maxwell
14. Hilton Cartwright
15. Callum Ferguson *bolter but very good against spin. Head struggles against spin.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't care who they pick as long as Wade isnt there.
Batsmen:
Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscome
Smarsh

Head
Cartwright

Keeper
Neville

Quicks:
Starc
Hazelwood
Bird
Sayers

Spin:
O'Keeffe
Lyon
Agar

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If Head goes, its as a no 6, he is not an all rounder anymore than Cartright is, he doesn't spin the ball.

From what I have seen of Cartright he bowling is not up to it and I think he will struggle against spin from what little I have seen.

I think Smarsh will be in the squad and he is a better option at 6 than Cartirght, unless they still consider Madinson a chance as he is a good player of spin, but he is an unproven gamble.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
My squad

Warner (vc)
Renshaw
Smith (c)
Khawaja
Handscomb
Cartwright
Agar
Head
Wade/Nevill (wk)
Starc
Hazelwood
Bird
Zampa
Lyon
O'Keefe

Best 11
Warner (vc)
Renshaw
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Head
Cartwright
Wade/Nevill (wk)
Starc
Hazelwood
Zampa
Lyon

Zampa has a first class average of a million with the ball. He will be eaten without salt in India.

TheParraboy

Staff member
put your house on Ashton Agar being on the tour

They didn't pick him for the SCG test squad for no reason

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
An absolute bolter, can we take Swepson? The kid can actually spin a ball, unlike 90% of the spinners we have, if he slows it down by 4-5 ks he will murder teams on a spinning deck, and he is better than Agar, Zampa, Maxwell bowling wise.

Tommy Smith

Referee
An absolute bolter, can we take Swepson? The kid can actually spin a ball, unlike 90% of the spinners we have, if he slows it down by 4-5 ks he will murder teams on a spinning deck, and he is better than Agar, Zampa, Maxwell bowling wise.
I'm not sure if any spin bowler has ever murdered an Indian team on their own turf tbh.

Even Warne and Murali averaged in the mid 40s over there.

No matter who goes they'll get eaten alive. I think the quicks will have to put in stellar performances for Australia to pull off a miracle and win a Test.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Lets just pick Beer and Doherty and be done with it..

Our best chance is win the toss and post 600+, even then best we can get is a draw but at least if India are not on their game we have a minor chance. Anything else we lose the test

Expecting Warner, Khawaja, SMarsh and Smith to contribute big time for us to have any chance

Realistically we are well and truly underdogs and 0-4 is the likely end result, so if we manage to jag a test win it will be something, a series win would be huge, very huge. I can dream for now.

Iafeta

Referee
Andrew Fekete would be good on Indian wickets. Doherty is a bit silly, come on fellas, keep it real.

Nic Maddinson one of the back up bats, I guess they take Smarsh as well.

Khawaja will be invaluable. At least for sweeps purposes. How many arm balls will he gracefully shoulder arms to this time before his middle stump is cartwheeled. I think he's a thinking mans cricketer who will be on the improve so I will go only twice.

JJ

Immortal
RSA and the great Windies sides did well there without obsessing over multiple spinners, your quicks are excellent bowlers, to me the real question is can your batsmen bat there, all the evidence to date suggests not really

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I prefer a wrist spinner over a finger spinner any day. Agar and SOK are very similar so I dont see the point in both playing at the same time.

Swepson seems to have all the toys, nice action flight and turns the ball but still very young. You can have all the toys and still get belted over there, Warnie.s record was pretty average and he had all the toys.

We seem to be able to bowl teams out, its just that we keep being bowled out for less, lol

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I don't think he will destroy india, but i feel taking him would be so valuable for his development, he will learn so much from it, he is the future of this team in the spin department.