What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The «Set Move» thread

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Bump

I've had to go to union for the latest batch:

This set piece deserves a mention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6z7ToyOTb4w#t=156

And again with the Crusaders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6z7ToyOTb4w#t=200

And again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FFHqRDfL7oc#t=22

The Crusaders on the receiving end of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FFHqRDfL7oc#t=179

When the attack can get the ball to the try line without a defender laying a finger on the ball carrier the coach has done well.

Most of the others in these videos are quite ordinary.

I guess union is more propice to set moves as they have two extra blokes to use. I still think they are underdone in league. Any good ones in the NRL of late on video (highlights of games are on youtube)?

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
Havent watched the videos yet, but i do think Union set plays are quite impressive from what ive seen. When theyre actually used that is. Think it has more to do with how deep they need to stand though

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
currently if you scored off a set play it would go straight to the video ref and you would just sit and hope

stormbati

Bench
Well I was impressed with some of the Storm play over the years and their execution. I've seen Manly be just as effective.
I dunno if Melbourne started it but I remember a play with Inglis off the scrum as an inside runner that got a six pointer against Canberra a few years back that I constant see other teams use.
The Tigers had a couple creative scrum moves that set off a few variation plays for other teams.
It's a copycat league and good to see variations.

Last edited:

LineBall

Juniors
Agreed with miguel

The set moves North Sydney used to put on - devised by Ron Willey - were crackers and leaves modern footy for dead.

The reason they don't happen now is pretty much down to the 10m rule. Why try to create space when it is artificially created for you? Modern coaches won't sacrifice metres already gained, hence there is no sweeping backline moves or set depth to backlines to try and make a break (therefore make metres). Play it safe and work for your kick and the team with the least mistakes will win the game by attrition.

There are also no more classic backlines per se. No more inside or outside centres, or fullbacks chiming in to a deep set backline. We have locks at five-eighth, five-eighths at fullback, and drone backrowers as centres.

That's modern footy.

This. The 10 metre rule has killed any need for creativity.

undertaker

Coach
I miss that set move from the scrum which was done in the 1994 Canberra vs Canterbury semi-final and 1996 Cronulla vs Brisbane semi-final.

Also, the kick from the scrum that Andrew Johns used to do at the Knights (although you need a very fast centre or winger, which we had in Darren Albert).

Kiwi

First Grade
There are some clubs that rely on set moves more than others, like the Roosters. Take RTS and SBW out of their side and they are back to being one trick ponies.

I think the speed of the play the ball and the little men with running games excelling under the new rules has seen the return of adlib play what's in front of you attack. Teams like the Tigers, Broncos, Titans, and Eels are enjoying it more than most.

Teams like the Roosters and Storm are struggling because their game plan revolves around structure which is only part of the puzzle now and not most of it.

Chook Norris

First Grade
There are some clubs that rely on set moves more than others, like the Roosters. Take RTS and SBW out of their side and they are back to being one trick ponies.

Hang on, how is that rational? Logically speaking if we're a club that 'relies on set moves more than others' shouldn't the removal of one or two players not affect us as much? If we're a club who relies on structure then that proves the team is less affected by one or two players not being there. It also proves another player can slot straight into that structure and the team still functions efficiently. Perfect example of this is Round 15, 2013 (Roosters v Dogs); Mortimer fit straight into our structure and the team functioned as usual.

I take the points in the rest of your post, but can't say I agree with the logic in your original statement at all.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

I think the speed of the play the ball and the little men with running games excelling under the new rules has seen the return of adlib play what's in front of you attack. Teams like the Tigers, Broncos, Titans, and Eels are enjoying it more than most.

Teams like the Roosters and Storm are struggling because their game plan revolves around structure which is only part of the puzzle now and not most of it.

Why are we taking SBW and RTS out of the Roosters? Ftr most of our attack revolves around Pearce and Maloney either via short passes to fringe runners such as Cordner, Jennings or cut outs to Tupou or the bomb lol.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Hang on, how is that rational? Logically speaking if we're a club that 'relies on set moves more than others' shouldn't the removal of one or two players not affect us as much? If we're a club who relies on structure then that proves the team is less affected by one or two players not being there. It also proves another player can slot straight into that structure and the team still functions efficiently. Perfect example of this is Round 15, 2013 (Roosters v Dogs); Mortimer fit straight into our structure and the team functioned as usual.

I take the points in the rest of your post, but can't say I agree with the logic in your original statement at all.

Kiwi knows jack. Without SBW we have won from memory 6 from 7 matches.

Latest posts