What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 1999-2007 Recruiting Hall of Fame

dubby

Bench
I agree Julian. While I have no idea what our gith side is, I think Purtell should go back to that right wing where our defencive issues stem from.

Chachi

Bench
:lol: Julian, I'm stumped on the gith thing too, but I get the idea. (I can't even begin to understand how you get "gith" out of "right" and had to read it 3 or 4 times!)

For what it's worth I pretty much agree with what you're saying but I'm not too sure on the Purtell = Folou thing (I've never ever seen Purts smash apart the opposition like Folou has). However I agree what we do need is someone who can hold his own up against the bigger wingers and can actually catch a ball - without compromising our attack at the same time.

Monagahan should make a big difference whether he's in the centres or on the wing. Whatever way he goes, one of Best, Monaghan and Graham has to end up on the wing when we're at full strength. Personally I'd like both Monas and Graham on the wings - but that's probably unlikely. So like you say, we need someone who can be safe on the other wing. I'm not sure Purtell will be recovered by seasons start so my preference is Kelly unless Goodwin stops sooking about not getting the FB spot. Milne's a decent shot too if he learns how to catch again.

I still think one of our priorities in the market is to strenghthen our three quarters (along with hooker and front row to replace Logan). We need to remember that Best is approaching 30, so he's not a long term prospect beyond a year or two anyway. Thompson may surprise but I'm certainly not expecting much from him or Brophy next year.

I agree with Dubby, this offseason is too long.

julian87

Juniors
Chachi said:
:lol: Julian, I'm stumped on the gith thing too, but I get the idea. (I can't even begin to understand how you get "gith" out of "right" and had to read it 3 or 4 times!)

For what it's worth I pretty much agree with what you're saying but I'm not too sure on the Purtell = Folou thing (I've never ever seen Purts smash apart the opposition like Folou has). However I agree what we do need is someone who can hold his own up against the bigger wingers and can actually catch a ball - without compromising our attack at the same time.

Monagahan should make a big difference whether he's in the centres or on the wing. Whatever way he goes, one of Best, Monaghan and Graham has to end up on the wing when we're at full strength. Personally I'd like both Monas and Graham on the wings - but that's probably unlikely. So like you say, we need someone who can be safe on the other wing. I'm not sure Purtell will be recovered by seasons start so my preference is Kelly unless Goodwin stops sooking about not getting the FB spot. Milne's a decent shot too if he learns how to catch again.

LOL, don't know how I got gith either :/

I haven't seen Folau do anything in attack absolutely breathtaking besides his try against NZ. He is a great finisher. Half of his tries were outjumping the attack and most of the rest of them were just good positioning and finishing. He is very good, but no great pleyer yet IMO, def no Meninga. I think Purtell is the one, has height and once he moved into the centres he showed his skill and attacking prowess as well.

I am really happy that Monaghan is back. He played really well on the left side for The Roosters so I'd like to see him stay there. And Graham is the same, only a left side centre or winger. I don't mind which one reverts to wing, but I'd prefer Graham at centre in attack and then the two swap in defence. Agree about Kelly getting the wing spot if Purts isn't ready.

But I would have massive reservations about Milne or Goodwin on that right wing because they were both deplorable in defence there last season. I'm not expecting huge things from Thompson next yr either. But if that right hand edge doesn't get fixed up I can envisage him getting a shot at that centre position with Best back to the wing.

From my opinions you can probably tell there is no room for Chalk in my team. Funny, he was my first choice winger season before last, but Elliott wouldn't pivk him there. If he works on his game there (which I doubt will happen) I'd prefer him outside Best over Goodwin or Milne.

Chachi

Bench
You're right about Graham and Monas being better on the left hand side and I think Kelly is probably best there as well. I still have some hopes for Milne as I think most of his issues were confidence and cohesion related rather than anything to do with attitude or ability.

I just hope we start the season fit and Henry picks a lineup which has a chance to settle in. I guess there are also still some question marks over Zillman, so that might also mix things up a bit in regards to Chalk, Goodwin and even Howell to be considered at the back. Hopefully Henry doesn't feel the need to fiddle around with the three-quarters if this is an issue although I wouldn't mind seeing Graham have a crack at fullback.

Whatever happens I still think we need to look at improving our three-quarters in the open market.

julian87

Juniors
If Zillman isn't available, they have to be fair dinkum and realise Goodwin is the only other option.

dubby

Bench
I dont really agree julian. Bronx has the ability, but suffers from mental immaturity. His effort against the Cows in Townsville was the worst game I have EVER seen from a Raiders fullback.

We may see young O'Sullivan get a go, or Howell may yet again appear in the 1 in an effort to land a contract elsewhere.

julian87

Juniors
I would be ok with a junior or even someone like Phil Graham.

But Howell and Chalk just don't cut it.

julian87

Juniors
Ok this is a bit left field, but what do you guys think about Luke Rooney?

A few hardcore Penrith fans reckon he will play a lot of reserve grade and under Elliott he will probably start behind the likes of Gordon, Daniela, Sammut etc. They have bought big in the backs and seem to have excess.

I reckon if he is stuck in reggies after a few rounds we should offer him a contract. He isn't a world beater but has rep experience and is exactly the mould of player we need IMO.

Chachi

Bench
Depending on how Purtell, Milne and Goodwin go it could be worth considering. He can be a pretty solid performer and finshes well. Would add a bit of experience too.

fourxman

Juniors
I could go for that. Giving Rooney a lifeline means he might be on the cheap. Could pay off as it would give us a bit more size in the backline with Best, Monaghan and Rooney all fairly solid sized backs.

And if he doesn't perform he can go play for Souths Logan. Simple as that.

Rooney's form 05 and 06 was very poor , but his start to the season in 07 was quite good back to his 03 form IMO , if this is the case he will be in FG , if Elliot has an agenda and banishes him to PL then Id imagine him looking for an outer. we wouldnt want to pay big dollars for him , he has size and his defence is a tad better than what our backline offered this year , we could do worse than offer him a cheap contract.

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
I dont really agree julian. Bronx has the ability, but suffers from mental immaturity. His effort against the Cows in Townsville was the worst game I have EVER seen from a Raiders fullback.

We may see young O'Sullivan get a go, or Howell may yet again appear in the 1 in an effort to land a contract elsewhere.
Can't see O'Sullivan making the step up any time soon TBH.

Goodwin really needs to sort out whatever issues he has. It would be a shame to see him exit stage left like Ale did. I can't imagine there's too many teams banging down his door and I can't imagine Ricky Stuart putting up with his crap if he wants to join his bro at Cronulla.

St George may be an option for him, but as much as I pay him out I'd REALLY like to see him do well for us as he does have ability...the clock is just ticking very fast for him.