What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The (almost) 1Million Dollar Man - RLW

Navigator

Juniors
Tallis is richest NRL player: RLW Brisbane captain Gorden Tallis is reportedly the National Rugby League's highest money earner. Tallis is the closest thing to the game's million-dollar man, according to Rugby League Week, who claim the Raging Bull collects $925,000 a season.
While the Broncos represent the 29-year-old Tallis's primary income source, Australia's incumbent Test captain also rakes in the dollars from Nike, Holden, Vista Blinds, Crazy John's Mobiles and Fourex.<span>For once, Andrew Johns has to play second fiddle with the champion </span><span>Newcastle </span><span>halfback
Coming in third on the money list is Sydney Roosters skipper Brad Fittler ($850,000), with Penrith captain Craig Gower ($600,000) the surprising fourth-highest earner.
Veteran Wests Tigers centre Terry Hill, who has hardly played over the past two seasons, stills ranks in the top 10 with earnings of $450,000 a year. The top 10, according to RLW, is: 1. Gorden Tallis (Brisbane) - $925,000 2. Andrew Johns (Newcastle)- $875,000 3. Brad Fittler (Sydney Roosters) - $850,000 4. Craig Gower (Penrith) - $600,000 =5. Stacey Jones (New Zealand Warriors) - $550,000 =5. Braith Anasta (Bulldogs) - $550,000 =7. Brett Kimmorley (Cronulla) - $500,000 =7. Darren Lockyer (Brisbane) - $500,000 9. Terry Hill (Wests Tigers) - $450,000 10. Trent Barrett (St George Illawarra) - $450,000
<hr>
I have my doubts about these figures (as today's media are attacking RLW since the story broke) but let's assume for one second that they are authenticated.
Then...
I think the world of Gorden Tallis....but almost $1Mill? C'mon.
Gower at 6-hundred K is a joke. A good player. Not a great player.There's no way he is worth that kind of money in my opinion.
Braith Anasta at over half-a-mill is overpaid for an overrated player.
Terry Hill earning almost half-a-mill at the Tigers is laughable. He hasn't done crap in two years as the article displayed.
On the other end of the scale; Darren Lockyer and Stacey Jones are worth much more than what RLW portray. Two tremendous representatives of the game (on and off the field)that should be in the top three highest played players within the NRL.
Anybody else have opinions on this controversial list? Pros and cons? </span>

Still are we to believe these figures?
Possibly but probably not.
If these figures are purely match earnings, then I'm very sceptical. If it involves all types of payments from match to sponsorship to incentives to what not, then maybe...but I'm still skeptical.

Somewhow mate I don't think Tallis or anyone else on that list is going to lose sleep over the printed figures.
I'm sure they could care less.

Look at the sposnors Tallis has. If the Donkeys paid him, for eg, $400, 000 then the rest could easily be made up by the likes of Nike, Holden &amp; XXXX (When will Queerlanders learn to spell B E E R?). Add to that Crazy Johns &amp; Vista blinds, neither of which are fly-by-nighters &amp; the value of his bank account is quite reasonable.
Lockyer, although as clean cut as he appears is far from the marketable force that Gordie is.

For mine the stupidest one of the lot is Hill. Given his pay is the result of a dumbarse board but still, I mean $450k is pretty far fetched at any time of his career.

imported_Beast

Juniors
The figures are certainly considerable and must represent a huge proportion of each respective teams salary cap..how much are the Broncos, Easts, Newcastle etc paying their other team members..surely there must be enormous cap breaches being hidden somewhere. Maybe that is why the News/NRL and some of the clubs are aggressively attacking the article?

V

Vertigo

Lockyer, although as clean cut as he appears is <u>far </u>from the marketable force that Gordie is.

Whyso? Far?
V.

Navigator

Juniors
I'm on the same level as thinking as Vertigo on this topic, Eels Fan.
If Darren Lockyer is a cleaner cut and in the news a far lot less than Gorden Tallis for all the wrong reasons (judiciary appearences and whatever), then how is he <u>far </u>from the marketable force that Gordie is.
I thought (through assumption - not experience) that to advertise a successful and marketable product, image and presentation (among I'm sure many other "qualities",is everything. Darren Lockyer presents himself, and is a far better image than what Gorden Tallis could ever be. In every facit in my opinion.Would you agree?
I don't understand your reasoning. Explaination?

No Bronco you get on it &amp; read it again. I never said Lockyer WASNT a marketable force just that he isnt in the same league (pardon the pun) as Tallis.

As for why I dont think Lockyer is <u>AS</u> marketable as Tallis, it resides in the fact that if you were to sponsor a player you are going to want the most bang for your buck. Now during a game Lockyer gets the wraps for a silky run or offload to put someone in a gap BUT come monday morning the talk will always revolve around the big hit Gordie gave so&amp;so or the way he carried 3 guys over the line when he scored that try.
In a corporate situation I think Lockyer is head &amp; shoulders above most on that list. Sure I think he is quite capable of knocking a few back with the boys but his attitude appears much more reserved then say numbers 1 through 4.

But this isnt about being a nice guy it's about moving product &amp;at the end of the day for the select few who give a toss aboutthe drinking/gambling/fighting escapades &amp; thusly boycott products endorsed by certain players, their numbers would pale in comparison to those who buy the stuffBECAUSE of them. Just look at the top 3, in all honesty most guys would kill to be like them &amp; most girls to be with them &amp; if I was a sponsor I knowI'd be thinkinglike Joe said "any publicity is good publicity".

Latest posts