What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the aussie train on squad

Twelve players have been asked by Kangaroos’ selectors to compete in a train-on squad while the NRL finals are taking place.

Included among the players, who have been chosen from teams who failed to make the finals, is Sharks skipper Brett Kimmorley, who is tipped to replace Andrew Johns both as halfback and possibly as Australian captain for the European tour.

Kimmorley and national coach Chris Anderson have had a long association both at club and national level.

Kimmorley and the Wests Tigers' John Skandalis are the only players selected who haven’t played representative football this year.

Anderson said the 12 players chosen weren’t at any disadvantage for national selection, despite not competing in the finals.

"I think it's open to everyone," Anderson told AAP.

"Tradition has said that the teams that do well in the semi-finals get a good representation in the teams at the end of the year.”

"There's a lot to play for in this series other than winning the comp, and that's a fair bit to play for in itself."

Dragons trio Shaun Timmins (knee), Mark Gasnier (thigh) and Luke Bailey (ear) has also been selected despite the fact they are struggling with injuries.

"We have picked them in good faith and our medical people will speak to their individual clubs and see exactly where these players are," Anderson said.

"But as of now these players are available to go."

The final squad will be chosen on October 6 for a tour which includes a Test against New Zealand as well as matches in England and Europe.

Train on Squad:
Luke Bailey (St George Illawarra), Phil Bailey (Cronulla), Bryan Fletcher (Souths), Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra), Josh Hannay (North Qld), Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta), Brett Kimmorley (Cronulla), Jamie Lyon (Parramatta), Steve Menzies (Manly), Matt Sing (North Qld), John Skandalis (Wests Tigers), Shaun Timmins (St George Illawarra).

Canterbury

Juniors
I don't think skandalis & hannay would make the top 17 but it's good to see them in there.

otherwise no real surprises..

dimitri

First Grade
does this mean skandalis will play in the GREECE V ITALY 'TEST"
on SEPTEMBER 27 at OKI JUBILEE STADIUM 3pm

SP

Bench
Id rather have Tallis or Lockyer as the captain than kimanderson

i_like_footy

Juniors
Lewis id rather have no Kimmorley at all bloody anderson id rather have Sherwin at half (im not a bulldogs supporter)

Grantwhy

Juniors
Canterbury said:
I don't think skandalis & hannay would make the top 17 but it's good to see them in there.

otherwise no real surprises..

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hannay go on the tour (as a backup centre/goal kicker) - his goal kicking has to be a factor in considerations - and I can't see the ARL picking only 1 kicker for the 'Roo tour.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
IMO, Hannay has been the form centre of the competition this year. I hadn't been expecting him to even be in the train-on squad, but to see him there restores a little faith in the selectors.

Latest posts