What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bachelor 'How To' Thread

Stranger

Coach
You going to miss all the cheap things that you get by living at home like a hot cooked meal? :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
You going to miss all the cheap things that you get by living at home like a hot cooked meal?

That and the free internet, no bills to pay, and the fact I had Austar/Foxtel in my room

roopy

Referee
The microwave is your friend, as is the toasted sandwich maker.
A bulk order of microwave proof plastic/paper plates is also worth its weight in gold.

perverse

Referee
stuff you will want to ALWAYS have handy once you move out:

- a microwave
- anything that goes in a microwave
- disposable EVERYTHING.. AND.. the means to get rid of it all (a second bin would be fantastic.. this bit is really important.. lol)
- in fact put bins everywhere. empty them too.
- aluminium disposable oven trays (if you don't get these.. remember that a tray has TWO sides ;D)

for the housewarmer:

1 - a bucket. make that 2 buckets.
2 - a funnel with hose.
3 - shot glasses, lemons and salt. also a knife.
4 - music.. loud music.. learn the boundaries with the neighbors early.
5 - a hose, an orchy bottle, a pair of scissors and an aluminium can. you'll see.
6 - spend $20 - $50 on munchies.
7 - pizza order at 10pm - no later... you'll forget.
8 - empty floorspace.. drag people that pass out to this area. mattresses.. beanbags and the like are all nice.. but ultimately optional.
-edit- 9 - I FORGOT TO MENTION ALCOHOL! GET HEAPS OF IT! -/edit-

other than that you just need people. make sure you have everything on this list and i promise you excellent parties and many, many fond memories of your first place. :D

best about today: went shopping.. have food now.
worst about today: headache wont leave me alone.

Stranger

Coach
I can't eat much frozen food before i start to feel sick so the easiest meal to cook is just some pasta and throw in some sauce. And if you can afford it maybe some tuna :lol:. Takes 5-10 mins its great.

perverse

Referee
Stranger said:
I can't eat much frozen food before i start to feel sick so the easiest meal to cook is just some pasta and throw in some sauce. And if you can afford it maybe some tuna :lol:. Takes 5-10 mins its great.
yep, been hitting that up all week. it's also cheap. lol.
2 minute noodles and those continental side dish pastas are easy as piss to cook and rock too.

Stranger

Coach
Yeah, and some of the basics like eggs on toast. Simple cheap and little cleaning. Great stuff.

perverse

Referee
Stranger said:
Yeah, and some of the basics like eggs on toast. Simple cheap and little cleaning. Great stuff.
nice, eggs on toast is good. make sure you've always got some cheese in the fridge too. i still find new ways to make cheese into a meal.

oh and a bag of rice is the cupboard is nice peace of mind too. will last ages (possibly the entirety of your residency) and will get you through in tight financial times, lol.

god all this talking about leaving home makes me wanna go back home and get my washing done.. meals cooked.. house cleaned.. *drools*..

Misanthrope

Staff member
:lol:

I moved out a long time ago (2002) and moved back for a few months last year when finances were a little tight. Still, I think I'll take that house-warming notes. I'm always ill prepared for them

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't know about that. I just had a tremendous toasted cheese sandwich that disagrees with you :p

That said, my shop today was a little more ambitious. Sure, it had the general bachelor fare (microwave noodles, wedges, pasta & sauce etc) but it also had the ingredients for home made pizza on Lebanese bread, a Malaysian stir fry, mushroom and spinach agnolitti (sp?), and what should be a damn fine spaghetti bolognaise.

perverse

Referee
astrogirl said:
guys! your food ideas are terrible! :lol:
lies! you lie!! STOP LYING!!!
CWBush said:
I don't know about that. I just had a tremendous toasted cheese sandwich that disagrees with you :p

That said, my shop today was a little more ambitious. Sure, it had the general bachelor fare (microwave noodles, wedges, pasta & sauce etc) but it also had the ingredients for home made pizza on Lebanese bread, a Malaysian stir fry, mushroom and spinach agnolitti (sp?), and what should be a damn fine spaghetti bolognaise.
i dunno man... sounds a bit risky. you might end up with dishes to do or something the way you're rolling...

tonight, i had cheesey hotdogs (on bread.. damn shops were out of buns.. rofl). bread is bread imo, was still good!

-edit- after reviewing my post i'd just like to state that i am obviously the archetype of why men need women... other than the babies and stuff... -/edit-

Misanthrope

Staff member

Yeah, I see your point as well, perverse. I guess I'd better start looking for a girl to brighten up my life (and healthy up my diet) :p

perverse

Referee
CWBush said:

Yeah, I see your point as well, perverse. I guess I'd better start looking for a girl to brighten up my life (and healthy up my diet) :p
do what i did.. move in with a mate that already has it! :D! minimal maintenance.. clean house.. cooked meals. leaves you to lead your single bachelor life AND have the stability of a steady girlfriend! BEST OF BOTH WORLDS YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!

yeah.. sad day when they moved out to get their own place... sad sad day...

Misanthrope

Staff member

That's the best advice ever. I'll go out and tell Ben to get off his ass and start looking for a girlfriend. She can have the third room and knock my rent down while she's at it :p

Alex28

Coach
Gents...from a long time batchelor who has lived by himself for a long time...food can be quite easy.

Vegies - steamed vegies are dead easy. Either get those "Steam Fresh" vegies at the supermarket or there is a Tupperware container (talk to your mum about one of those - you don't want to go to one of those dud parties) that you put some water in, throw the vegies in and stick in the microwave for 5 minutes. Too simple.

Meat - Rissoles are your friend. $1.50 for 2 of them. Cheap easy meal.

Stir Fry - Get yourself an Electric Wok. You can cook just about anything in those things. Chuck it all in and stir. If you really want to get fancy throw in noodles (2 minute ones will do).

Relatives - especially ones that cook roasts. Befriend them.

Misanthrope

Staff member
When I was in Newie, the Coles/Bi-Lo stocked these tremendous stir fry mixes. All of the veggies, noodles, and flavour were included - you just had to add the meat. All for about $4.95 and it'd make enough for two meals.

Alas, though, my local does not have them :(

perverse

Referee
Alex28 said:
Gents...from a long time batchelor who has lived by himself for a long time...food can be quite easy.

Vegies - steamed vegies are dead easy. Either get those "Steam Fresh" vegies at the supermarket or there is a Tupperware container (talk to your mum about one of those - you don't want to go to one of those dud parties) that you put some water in, throw the vegies in and stick in the microwave for 5 minutes. Too simple.

Meat - Rissoles are your friend. $1.50 for 2 of them. Cheap easy meal.

Stir Fry - Get yourself an Electric Wok. You can cook just about anything in those things. Chuck it all in and stir. If you really want to get fancy throw in noodles (2 minute ones will do).

Relatives - especially ones that cook roasts. Befriend them.
all great advice! i'll have to hook into some of those rissoles and vegies.

i've definately bolded the best statement though, nothing like rolling into the olds place when the funds are tight for a king sh!t baked dinner :D

Misanthrope

Staff member
i've definately bolded the best statement though, nothing like rolling into the olds place when the funds are tight for a king sh!t baked dinner

Or, in my case, rolling in around late July and leaving in mid-May the following year :p It was the sweet life, aside from the fact I had to live half an hour's drive from civilisation

Latest posts