What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The carry-on about staples in the head

What do you think of players being stitched-up on TV?

• Looks great... all part of the game and toughens up the kiddies.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its OK but not when I'm having my chips and curry dip

• Players who need stitches or staples are wimps.

• Bloody disgusting. Had to avert my eyes... I almost fainted!

• I thought it was the referees who stitched-up matches

• My god... was that blood I saw in a game of Rugby League?

• Don't care. I only watch the game for the athleticism

• Total voters

Anonymous

Juniors
There's been a some sort of viewer complaints about Devere's gash to the head being stapled on the TV. Its looks like the broadcasters agree and it we won't be seeing any stapling ever again.

El Diablo

Post Whore
We saw the same thing with Luke Phillips last year in a match between the Roosters and Parra and nobody cared so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

legend

Coach
Much bigger audience this time round but to me, it's part of the gladitorial nature of SOO. People watching O/S would have loved the bruising nature of what I think is the fiercest sporting series in world sport and the record ratings would suggest I am right.

And so would Eddie Jones! :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Seems to me that if you tune into a TV program that advertises players bashing into each other for 80 minutes then you're likely to see the odd dislocated finger or smashed face being attended to.

One requirement of the TV broadcaster is to as close to the action as possible and make the viewer feel like they in the thick of it. I'm sure there were a fair portion of the crowd who saw the blood and staples. The camera was johnny-on-the-spot imo.

I'd like to know how many complaints the ARL and Channel 9 recieved - I bet its bugger-all.
The majority don't mind a bit sideline surgery at all... as our authoritive TFR poll shows. :)

The Backpacker

Juniors
FFS, this must be the same person who watches every episode of reality TV shows involving surgery and then complains. Or watches a movie with a warning regarding explicit language and sex scenes at the start and then complains. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Realistically, there is very little pain involved in stapling on the spot when an injury has just occured. Theres few nerve endings in the spot he had them and with the adrenaline pumping, he would have felt very little of it, if anything. It would have been more painful having a jab to have them removed later and stitched up properly. :D