What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Chook RAPER CUp

2 True Blues

Coach
Hey guys and gals.

Was just thinking.

When the saints ( see some light ) and come back into the NSWRL competition ( a matter of time in the long run IMO ) we should start a season cup comp btw the two great old clubs.

We should start the RAPER CUP when you blokes play against the Bluebags. Jets currently play the Mighty bears in the Frank Hyde Shield: Wests in The Tommy Rad cup, and Balmain/Tigs in the Neal Pringle shield. Would be a great game i reckon.

Miss you blokes in the comp. ;-)

Last edited:

Vince

Juniors
Hey guys and gals.

Was just thinking.

When the saints ( see some light ) and come back into the NSWRL competition ( a matter of time in the long run IMO ) we should start a season cup comp btw the two great old clubs.

We should start the RAPER CUP when you blokes play against the Bluebags. Jets currently play the Mighty bears in the Frank Hyde Shield: Wests in The Tommy Rad cup, and Balmain/Tigs in the Neal Pringle shield. Would be a great game i reckon.

Miss you blokes in the comp. ;-)

I'd love to see St George back in Reserves too, but a lot of the talk in this area for us seems to revolve around something similar to Parramatta + Penrith: promotion of a Metro Cup side to Reserve Grade (Shellharbour Marlins). It's a pity, but with both Leagues Clubs are in debt, St George are looking for any way to save a buck.

2 True Blues

Coach
Thats interesting though mate.

Wenty are parra signings in a Wenty jersey anyway this season. Jets do have some roosters signings from time to time but pretty much have mostly their own signings , so hold their own as such.

What's the Marlins jersey look like. red and white ??

I figured you blokes would have to come back next year. !?

2 True Blues

Coach
Ps.... And f**k I miss those Oatley Pies mate. Just saw you were from Oatley originally. How good were they. lol....

I think the idea of awarding a "Cup" for a regular premiership game is one of the tackiest gimmicks that's been introduced in recent years.

I belive the only one come currently in the NRL is between Saints and the Roosters but the AFL seem to have one every round.

Vince

Juniors
Thats interesting though mate.

Wenty are parra signings in a Wenty jersey anyway this season. Jets do have some roosters signings from time to time but pretty much have mostly their own signings , so hold their own as such.

What's the Marlins jersey look like. red and white ??

I figured you blokes would have to come back next year. !?

The Marlins strip looks just like the Gold Coast Titans home jersey, except its Maroon where the Titans are Sky Blue. Also, when players play a 1st Grade game for St George, they can't go back to the Metro Cup (a Metro Cup rule, not an NRL one), so we have a deal with the Burleigh Bears in the QRL to get them to have a run there. That may pull the curtains over a Reserve Grade side as well. Still, I'd love to see a St George Dragons side in Reserves!

And Oatley Village Pies rock - gotta love their Steak + Kidney!!! :D

Vince

Juniors
I think the idea of awarding a "Cup" for a regular premiership game is one of the tackiest gimmicks that's been introduced in recent years.

I belive the only one come currently in the NRL is between Saints and the Roosters but the AFL seem to have one every round.

There are heaps of different cups/trophies in the NRL, just we don't make as big a stink about it through advertising as the AFL do.

The Preacher

First Grade
I'd love to see St George back in Reserves too, but a lot of the talk in this area for us seems to revolve around something similar to Parramatta + Penrith: promotion of a Metro Cup side to Reserve Grade (Shellharbour Marlins). It's a pity, but with both Leagues Clubs are in debt, St George are looking for any way to save a buck.

St.George Leagues are nowhere near being in debt. They had a loss last year, but they are a long way from being in debt. the Leagues club also oversees the footy club at Saints, and allocates funds to them, so they aren't in debt either.

Vince

Juniors
St.George Leagues are nowhere near being in debt. They had a loss last year, but they are a long way from being in debt. the Leagues club also oversees the footy club at Saints, and allocates funds to them, so they aren't in debt either.

I was under the impression that the Taj was in debt. I know Steelers Leagues still owe us money (they even sold 24% of their stake in the club to WIN Entertainment Group to pay back some of the cash). Bloody media getting their story wrong, I'll never trust them on footy again :?.

Perhaps then we could see St George in Reserves, for old times sake?

The Preacher

First Grade
There's clubs in a far worse state than us that still have sides running around in reserve grade. It's just another of Doust's brainwaves.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, The Taj is not in debt. They just recorded a loss but my understanding is that there is around $6 million+ in the primary bank account.

The issue is more to do with trying to turn it around so they don't have successive losses.

The annual financial report for f/yr 2007 is here: http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...s+club+profit+loss+balance&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Article from 23 March 2008:

The leagues club's latest annual report recorded a $1.6million loss for the financial year compared with a $2.17million profit in 2005-06. Highlighting the effect of the poker-machine impost, the club generated a pre-tax profit of $4.2million.

More:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/saints-fall-from-grace/2008/03/22/1205602728700.html

2 True Blues

Coach

I actully like the "shield comp" btw Souths and Saints Pre -season. It's about tradition.

Something you may not understand though. Tradition, Repsect, and History.

Or it is if you are a Bluebags fan still mate, lol.... ;-):lol:

But it's not down to the one game in either case.

It's a best out of two game thing btw the old clubs. Was a best outta three game at times in previous years also (incorporating a trial match, though IMO that was not fair ). A great concept overall though, IMO. Rugby league is the winner.
For and against also come into that equation in the two game situation. .

;-)

Last edited:

2 True Blues

Coach
And Oatley Village Pies rock - gotta love their Steak + Kidney!!! :D

Mate their chunky collection rocks as well. I used to be like willy wonker in a choc factory their though. Lived at Mortdale for several years back in the nineties and used to buy extra's for the next day, etc. Good tucker mate. ;-):cool:

2 True Blues

Coach

But the year off in " reserve grade " hell. Will save heaps of cash in either case. So it's all good. ;-)

2 True Blues

Coach
Bloody media getting their story wrong, I'll never trust them on footy again :?.

Perhaps then we could see St George in Reserves, for old times sake?

Words of wisdom mate. Never trust the media on " Anyhting " they say, ever.;-):cool:

And Hope to see the Mighty Red " V " back at Henson Park very soon.

2 True Blues

Coach
PS... No specials at Aldi either Willow today ( winks ).

Nor the other day in question for that matter mate.

Latest posts