What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cleanout Continues

William Zillman, Josh Hoffman, David Mead, Luke Douglas told by Titans they are free to leave club

Peter Badel and Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
30 minutes ago
Subscriber exclusive

GOLD Coast coach Neil Henry has given the club’s biggest stars permission to negotiate with NRL rivals as at least 15 Titans fight to save their careers.

Henry has told co-captain William Zillman and leading trio Josh Hoffman, David Mead and Luke Douglas they are free to leave the club.

The coach is prepared to honour the deals of Zillman, Hoffman and Douglas, who are contracted to the Titans until the end of next season, but has made it clear he will not stand in the way of the big-name trio and Mead, who is currently off contract, if they can secure more lucrative deals in the NRL or overseas.

Coach Neil Henry has told four Titans stars they are free to leave the club. Picture: Adam Head
The contracted trio are preparing to dig their heels in to prove their worth in the face of Henry’s attempted clean-out.

Henry first swept a broom through the Titans in 2014, farewelling 16 players after he succeeded John Cartwright.

The latest news will come as a blow to Zillman, who was named co-captain only four months ago and had ambitions to become a 10-year Titan in 2018.

Hoffman and Zillman have privately discussed their situation as they come to terms with the shattering news.

Henry did not return calls on Thursday night but The Courier-Mail can reveal the Titans coach informed the quartet of his plans over the past fortnight.

William Zillman has ambitions to become a 10-year Titan. Picture: David Clark
The 11 other Titans who are free agents next season are Daniel Mortimer, Cameron Cullen, Lachlan Burr, David Hala, Leva Li, Jeff Lynch, Nathaniel Peteru, Matt Robinson, Ryan Simpkins, Matt Srama and Kierran Moseley.

Hoffman’s manager Paul Hogan said his client was reluctant to leave a club he only joined last season after being released by Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.

“Josh has been playing well all season, he has been one of the Titans’ most consistent backs,” Hogan said.

“Josh has some options. We recently spoke to the Titans about their plans because he was considering moving his young family from Brisbane and buying a home on the Gold Coast.

“Josh is very settled at the club and if the Titans offered us an extension, we’d consider it.”

Zillman is another on borrowed time. The fullback, who turns 30 next month, was controversially handed a five-year deal in 2012 and has struggled to produce consistent form in struggling Titans sides.

Josh Hoffman is said to be reluctant to leave the Titans. Picture: Jerad Williams
Zillman said last month his dream was to sign a final deal to celebrate a decade at the Titans, which he joined from Canberra in 2009.

“This is my eighth season. It’s unbelievable how time flies,” he said. “It would be an amazing thing to be able to play 10 years at one club on the Gold Coast, but there is a long way to go between now and then.

“(Playing in England) is something I’m not even thinking about. I have another year on my contract here and I’m enjoying my football and I’m enjoying being part of the culture the club is starting to form here.

“I am trying to focus on getting myself playing consistent football and trying to be a leader as one of the older guys at the club.’’

Originally published as Henry’s stunning clean-out of Titans squad

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=DTWEB_MRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/william-zillman-josh-hoffman-david-mead-luke-douglas-told-by-titans-they-are-free-to-leave-club/news-story/c2648714c41701e56d947385624c14ef&memtype=registered

I don't think Meady should be part of that list but Zillman and Hoffman who are already being payed overs for can gtfo. Douglas I'm indifferent about since there's plenty of better forwards out there on similar money.

some11

Referee
I'd take Hoffman back in a heartbeat if he could get his head around the fact that he isn't a fullback's arsehole.

GW.

Juniors
GW here,
any more word on Douglas?
always liked his under the radar herculian efforts.