What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The coffee snobs thread

Pantherjim.

Referee
Anyone else buy freshly roasted coffee beans, grind and brew their own coffee at home?

Just thought I’d start a thread for this particular hobby. Feel free to post your set-ups/pics of same, ask questions or give advice or tips here:

I’m purely espresso, but also interested to hear from those who also do pour over, cold brew, French press, drip filter etc.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
The FFB is deadspace now buuuuut can any of you merkins who might read still or come for the coffee recommend a decent bean subscription?

I had one with a mob in Orange who were very good, but they just got bought out and shat on by Seven Miles who sacked nearly the whole range. Which sucks. I can get Ona and Lonsdale St etc in Canberra but it's nice to have a selection delivered to your door, y'know?

Pantherjim.

Referee
The FFB is deadspace now buuuuut can any of you merkins who might read still or come for the coffee recommend a decent bean subscription?

I had one with a mob in Orange who were very good, but they just got bought out and shat on by Seven Miles who sacked nearly the whole range. Which sucks. I can get Ona and Lonsdale St etc in Canberra but it's nice to have a selection delivered to your door, y'know?

Taste being extremely subjective (I.e. depends on whether you like dark, medium or light roasts as well as blended or single origin etc.) I can however highly recommend this guy and he is my preferred roaster:

https://www.baybeans.com.au/mhome.html

$42.70 buys you a kilo of beans with free delivery. (Albeit some blends such as Fairtrade and Premium Reserve are slightly more expensive)

We normally go for the “Espresso Master” but he does have a stronger blend called “Super Crema” can certainly vouch for the Espresso Master, strong, rich aroma and flavours with a hint of sweetness and the crema is awesome! (Again, subjective, depending on your taste)

Depends on what drink you like as well. As I said in initial post, we exclusively brew via espresso machine (The wife enjoys flat whites where I like a cap, latte or ristretto) but I can’t see why his beans also wouldn’t work for pour over, French press or filter coffee, provided you ground his beans coarser.

He normally roasts the beans the day before he sends them out, so be sure to give them a few days in storage before you actually grind them. Only con about James at Bay Beans, is that he uses Aramex for his deliveries which can be diabolical on occasion. (Deliveries delayed and lame excuses as to why they haven’t been able to deliver on time) But lately I’ve gotten into the habit of ordering 3-4 days before beans I have left are due to run out.

He also does a “variety pack” featuring 4 of his best blends in 250gm packs for $60 if you’re not sure and want to give them all a try.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee

Pablo & Rusty go ok. There are obviously better beans available, but they deliver quickly and are reliable. Located in Sydney (Nth Ryde) and they always had the beans to me within 2-3 weeks of roasting and within a week of placing my order & I'm on the GC. I always got Pioneer & have tried some the single origin espresso beans. Enjoyable coffee.

They have:

Porter St: Full-bodied bold, dark chocolate notes. This blend consists of higher intensity in strength. We recommend using Porter St as a milk based option or a stronger espresso.

Pioneer: Velvety feel, with caramel and spicy notes. Medium-density coffees make this a flexible coffee that has a dynamic range.

Trailblazer: The blend is sweet and complex, with a fruit-forward focus, in particular notes of fresh red berries. It is the lightest profile of our 3 blends and serves as both an exceptional espresso and a medium-bodied milk blend.

Single Origin Espresso: A seasonal schedule of high-quality single origin beans that have a roast profile suited to espresso brewing.

Single Origin Filter: A seasonal schedule of high-quality single origin beans that have a roast profile suited to filter brewing, including Aeropress and pour overs.

OVP

Coach
i drink lavazza at home
but i love to buy myself a coffee
how can you not like the stuff ?

OVP

Coach
even my local BP makes a fine brew
balmain coffee
'tis good i tells ya