What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the comedians thread

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Denis Leary
John Oliver

Are 2 others i like along with many mentioned already

LESStar58

Referee
I still play my old Rodney Rude CDs as well.

someone said Eddie Murphy. I still watch Delirious quite often and still find it as funny as when i saw it at afriends house as an 8 year old. Its aged well.

LESStar58

Referee
Bill Hicks,for theite, Larry the Cable Guy, Robin Williams

Larry the cable guy I'm yet to hear but for the second year running I have purchased Jeff Foxworthys "You Might be a redneck if...." calendars. Have the day to a page desk calendar at work and usually get looked at funny when people can't see what im laughing at.

Its like "things Bogans like" but wittier and not as pretentious.

Danish

Referee
I still play my old Rodney Rude CDs as well.

someone said Eddie Murphy. I still watch Delirious quite often and still find it as funny as when i saw it at afriends house as an 8 year old. Its aged well.

On the other hand Raw has aged terribly. The 20 odd minutes he does on androtrops is absolutely cringeworthy now.

There is some of that in Delirious as well but it is just funnier (the gay versions of various celebrities particularly - when I bend over.. you start f**king :lol:)

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Oh shit this thread just reminded me that Bill Burr has a show in Wellington tonight (probably on stage right now) & I totally forgot.

Very sad panda, shoulda got tickets when I was thinking about it a month ago...

God-King Dean

Immortal
God, there's too many to name. But all time favourite....

Dylan Moran. His humour is just right up my alley.

I notice not one women has been mentioned lol.

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
It is slightly off topic but I liked Chris Rock back in the day, pretty funny.

Never like his movies much until I saw his recent one top 5. Great Movie

gUt

Coach

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701

Why Women Aren't Funny
What makes the female so much deadlier than the male? With assists from Fran Lebowitz, Nora Ephron, and a recent Stanford-medical-school study, the author investigates the reasons for the humor gap.
by Christopher Hitchens

Red Bear

Referee

Jo Brand is pretty good.

Holly Walsh, Katherine Ryan, Sara Pascoe have their moments, and Josie Long is pretty funny.

Alot of then are terrible thouh

This dylan Moran bit gets me every time though, it's so true

[youtube]IoLIU2NI66w[/youtube]

God-King Dean

Immortal
It's not to say women aren't funny. They just aren't as funny.

You could make the point that more men try comedy, that's why it's so disproportionate.

A lot of the women who are funny, are fat or masculine.... not many girly types. Which adds to my personal theory, that finding men funnier has an element of intimidation & authority to it.

whall15

Coach
It's not to say women aren't funny. They just aren't as funny.

You could make the point that more men try comedy, that's why it's so disproportionate.

A lot of the women who are funny, are fat or masculine.... not many girly types. Which adds to my personal theory, that finding men funnier has an element of intimidation & authority to it.

I think the point that Hitchens is 100% right about in that article is that comedy is about challenging authority and because as you and he says that a majority of the women who are funny are either fat or more masculine proves that point because that's a challenge to societal norms.

Its also the same reason why most comedians are either left-of-centre or apolitical because there is nothing funny about an authoritarian conservative worldview beyond laughing at them as opposed to with them.

I can't think of any mainstream conservative comedians with the exception of libertarians, although again, that falls into the category of challenging authority.

Amy Schumer
Tina fey
Sarah Silverman
etc

theres some good female comics around these days

my favourites at the moment

Patrice O'neal (RIP)
Bill Burr
Jim Jefferies
Jim Norton
Sherrod Small
Louis CK

etc

azzah72

Bench
One of my all time favs was Joan Rivers stand up in regards to women.

I don't give a shit about the reality and E! shows she did, never watched them but when she was on the stage, she was brutally funny sometimes.

Even in the last few years before her death, I saw a couple of her shows, rude, self depreciating, sinister towards her fellow stars, all created some great laughs.

She was a legend .... RIP

Latest posts