What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The current state of wrestling.

winnyason

Juniors
Have been a fan for years and poster for years on lu manly fan(don't hold it against me). The current product is totally crap. A few points.
*The day wwe purchased wcw, the product went downhill the invasion angle was rubbish. The paranoia of 2 world title belts a smackdown and raw champ, and yes I know it is unified now but this dilutes a champion.
*Competition breeds variety and challenges people, the current wwe streamlined, PG, run by a overrated yes man is rubbish. I Monday wars had surprise a different product and invented attitude not this shit on tv now.
*Triple H is ruining it, even if he runs show get him off tv. He is a bad vibe and is so hated. I loved the guy in dx, clip total anti authority now to be this it brings bad vibes to tv.
* Tna or someone has to step up there is a market for a over the top, m rated, no script show.
* The current big name is a joke, Cena compare him to Hogan, rock, Austin, hart, michaels, cm punk. Please really is this it.
*Scrap PG enough is enough.
*Legends returning Jericho, undertaker, rock is indication the current era is struggling big time to bring there own mark on the industry.
*Cm Punk give this guy what he wants he is the closest to what the current era has to an icon. Jarrett promotion or whatever he is needed.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I, for one, actually preferred the WWE in the brand split to what it is today. There's no room for an undercard anymore because they need to find things for a dozen main eventers to do.

winnyason

Juniors
it was ok when talent was there and used now it is so disappointing, to have cena champ again I mean really. Jericho has more talent, charisma and skills, but he has won not even half cena title reigns.

mackdadday

Juniors
i think its heading in the right directiön finally. The new breed öf Shield, wyatts, bö dallas, cesarö, lana and rusev are shöwing they can be mid tö main eventers. Bray Wyatt and all öf the shield in particular all löök like future champs.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Have been a fan for years and poster for years on lu manly fan(don't hold it against me). The current product is totally crap. A few points.

*The day wwe purchased wcw, the product went downhill the invasion angle was rubbish. The paranoia of 2 world title belts a smackdown and raw champ, and yes I know it is unified now but this dilutes a champion.

I fell off after the invasion as well. Came back in 2011, the belts were fairly even as a noob then, but it's clear the disparity grew since then. The unified titles is the goods now though, exactly as it used to be.

*Competition breeds variety and challenges people, the current wwe streamlined, PG, run by a overrated yes man is rubbish. I Monday wars had surprise a different product and invented attitude not this shit on tv now.

Yeah, competition would be good. But the Attitude Era was too over the top, and today's audience would not accept it as much as in the 90's. Too smart by a long shot.

*Triple H is ruining it, even if he runs show get him off tv. He is a bad vibe and is so hated. I loved the guy in dx, clip total anti authority now to be this it brings bad vibes to tv.

You couldn't be more wrong. Triple H is a classic heel, he is brilliant at it. You are supposed to hate him. Off tv, he has brought the Tag division back from the dead, and runs NXT, which is brilliant. All the new blood that has made the show watchable over the last few years has come from Trips.

* Tna or someone has to step up there is a market for a over the top, m rated, no script show.

This si the same as point one, but yeah i agree, not so much the first two but on the latter. Over scripted promos are annoying.

* The current big name is a joke, Cena compare him to Hogan, rock, Austin, hart, michaels, cm punk. Please really is this it.

Cena, as a wrestler, holds his own with all of them. Watch Money in the Bank 2011 for roof. Go back to when you were a kid, I'm guessing Hogan? You would have eaten that shit up. Now you are smarter, you are trying to deny the kids the same pleasure you got? Selfish, for shame.

*Scrap PG enough is enough.

No. The wrestlers lives are actually starting to gain a minute amount of value in this business, adding violence back into it would take that away. If you are talking strictly about storylines, then the more hectic ones aren't going to be as intense without the added violence. It's a bad idea, and not feasible. Especially considering the kids that are into it.

*Legends returning Jericho, undertaker, rock is indication the current era is struggling big time to bring there own mark on the industry.

I disagree, and this is the most interesting point. I believe it is the over reliance on the old names to pop a buyrate that has f**ked us for big names now. 2011, Punk got enormous, he should have been even bigger than he was. He should have been the main attraction of Wrestlemania 28, but that was handed to the Rock. And if we see that CM Punk has consistently been the best thing about the product, and he is lower on the card than a part timer, then we treat him as such, and when the part timer goes away, as they all do, we still see Punk as worth less than the main eventer.

Except for the Daniel Bryan plot line, everything in the past few years would have been better, much better, if the Rock had have just stayed away and made his movies. CM Punk would have versed John Cena at Mania, as both of them deserved. Probably even twice. Punk main eventing Mania like he wanted would have fulfilled him and added life into his work, and he very well could still be here. Ryback was over huge as hell, and should have went over punk in 2012, but with the Rock looming over, he was wasted. That would have led to a bigger trickle down effect.

The cause of the problem is the part timers and the reliance on them, they aren't a symptom. If we are told new blood ain't shit, we believe it to be so.

*Cm Punk give this guy what he wants he is the closest to what the current era has to an icon. Jarrett promotion or whatever he is needed.

Yep, i agree 100%. Especially with D Bry out for a few months. Give him mania, give it to him against Bryan, just get him back. Sadly, listening to the Heyman/Jericho podcast the other week, it doesn't sound like it is going to happen at all.

Seriously though bro, stop living in the past, it's over. If you just like the stories, then you are pretty screwed. But if you like quality wrestling, there has been no better time to watch than right now. Watch any shield match from any PPV in the last two years, watch some Wyatt promos and his match with Bryan specifically, watch Cesaro and Zayn, there are so many options. I may have a temper tantrum every now and then because f**k Cena, but damn, it's still good.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I, for one, actually preferred the WWE in the brand split to what it is today. There's no room for an undercard anymore because they need to find things for a dozen main eventers to do.

There's no room for any of those main eventers either. I mean, there is, but they are really shit at working in any more than a half dozen guys each week. And for whatever reason, no backstage stuff between wrestlers any more. Just interview Renee Young and that's it. The shenanigans add so much character, and i think that is the biggest thing missing.

Just look at Jericho's recent returns. Has be been chasing the World Title, nope. He has been putting talents over, what all good veterans that side of the hill do.

redvscotty

First Grade
I think the general consensus is that Cena is a placeholder for the title until Lesnar can come in and get it.

I'd love to see one of the new guys get it off Lesnar and go from there with the new talent that has been coming out.

The tag titles are slowly coming back, but I'd rather watch tag matches between actual teams, and not once offs like Reigns and Cena against whoever.

I definitely hope they let the tag team of Gold and Stardust run out for a while, very entertaining and would set up an awesome feud between the two.

WellsNZ

Juniors
If anything more control going to HHH is a reason for optimism I think. Sure he'll have his boys, but he's been there through the eras that people harken back to. Things have gotten better the more we've heard about him getting more control I think. Less dopey shit that you know Vince is sitting out the back finding hilarious while everyone else is shaking their head. He's meant to be hated, that's the entire point of his character and he's been a guy you're meant to hate for many significant stretches of his career. This time he took all the things the smarks hated him for and embraced it and finally they had a heel who the smarks actually hated again.

I don't think it's a case of giving Punk what he wants, I think if it was that simple he'd be back already. He doesn't want to work for WWE any more, and he isn't the type to budge on that just because somebody shoves more money under his nose. He'll come back to WWE when he decides he'd like to do it and only then.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
NXT is my favourite American promotion right now. Not only have they developed the likes of Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Damien Sandow, Antonio Cesaro & Roman Reigns they've also got a great crop of talent coming in and more to follow down the line. With guys like KENTA, Prince Devitt, Sami Callihan (who's there right now, has yet to make TV debut) and Kevin Steen coming in the promotion is only going to get better.

I've got to say, as numb as I am to the current WWE product I'd take it over a ton of other post Attitude Era years and see plenty of potential in it only getting better now that NXT has been taken to the next level. I just think they need to cut down on television time, come up with more creative ideas to present the product and get rid of these homogenous gimmick PPVs which are completely stale. MitB could have been a much bigger show had it not followed the same formula these past 4 years.

TNA is knocking on death's door and it's hard to really get too invested when people turn every other month or so and they stick with guys who have been so badly booked it's hard to envision them as main event talent. A shame because in 2012 they were legitimately putting out a fresher product than WWE.

The independent scene is benefiting a lot from all the current TNA & WWE releases. Which is always nice to see because it's hard to really care about guys when they're stuck in the same environment for 10 years.

winnyason

Juniors
Look attitude was over the top, but we need something in between. Yes agree bray Wyatt could be new undertaker type character he is good.
we will see Seth rollins take title I wonder if dean Ambrose get a shot. Never get sold on cena, I have no doubt roman reigns will be new face of company in time. Look I see your point but cm punk was the man I now he is gone people have realised how big he is.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I think people realised how big Punk was while he was there. They gave him one of the longest title runs in history.

The problem is if Punk doesn't want to be there, then he won't be there. He's not like someone like Brock who doesn't like wrestling but does it for the money. He's a guy who won't do something unless he wants to, you can't buy off Punk.

When Roman Reigns wins the title, people will cheer, and then a couple of months later people will be sick of him.

Once Dead

Bench
When Roman Reigns wins the title, people will cheer, and then a couple of months later people will be sick of him.

THIS is so true! :clap: Add to that list, Kofi, Fandango, Ryback, Adam Rose, Big E, Rusev....and any other star they try to shoot to the moon but ultimately, Vince will quickly tire of and will end up consigned to midcard jobber hell......

With that said, I also love how any guy who went to TNA and returned back to the WWE....is booked EVEN worse than TNA could have dreamed....RVD, Christian, R-Truth, etc.....Vince seems like suuuuuuuuuch a great guy.....and obviously hasn't learned from burying countless WCW stars.........thankfully Sting has obviously been smart enough to avoid this so far, and I hope he maintains his legacy without letting the McMahon-machine crush the last of the WCW brigade.

I do listen to RAW reviews and try to catch it when I can....but I cannot honestly say that I would be happy, if I was a WWE fan.......you still have Triple H and Stephanie open eveeeeeeeeeeery show (telling people that their own champions are B-plus players), commentators belittle the wrestlers and ignore the matches (under the instruction of Vince), Cena always ends up on top because they have seemingly forgotten how to create genuine stars, wrestlers get buried on tv (Sandow, Ziggler, Miz, etc) and the list goes on and on....

I will give credit where credit is due and it looks like they are coming up with some good stories, but 15% of good, doesn't cancel out the bad.....and if the flagship wrestling company in the world is pumping out this drivel, then wrestling is in bad shape...

Like the original post, I do see a place for a competitor, but the problem will always be finances. You can't be David with a few budget slingshots fighting against megabucks Goliath......but you can run rings around him doing something different......I doubt it is GFW (although they have some money behind them - I just don't trust Jarrett staying out of the wrestling picture) and I have seen TNA change direction too many times (thanks to goons like Hogan and Bischoff, who did a real good job of draining cash resources without adding ANYTHING to the product).........it definitely isn't ROH (Sorry, it just doesn't appeal to the regular pro wrestling / non-pro wrestling fan and doesn't reach enough viewers)...

I still dream of the day that Turner gets back in the game (which is highly unlikely) and injects enough cash to build an empire to go toe to toe with the McMahon-machine....which is definitely prone to attack.

Valheru

Coach
I think a lot people hold the attitude era in such high esteem for mainly nostalgic reasons that whatever the modern product does it will never be good enough for them. The attitude era was born from intense competition in the early days of the dot com boom and ushered in a new generation fan base. The storylines were edgy and you never knew what was going to happen each week.

Yes it would be nice to have competition and it is hard to see another boo period without it but to say the modern product is rubbish in comparison is unfair IMO. In fact, I would argue that the match quality in the last 10 years has generally been better than the 10 years prior.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I have a fair bit to say on the matter

You know WWE is very bad when there is only 1 match you look forward to in every PPV. That's the state it's in right now.

Also back in 2012, there was something like 3 or 4 PPVs in a row when HEEL CM Punk won the titles non-legitimate. They were boring and had to stop! I mean, winning 1 or 2 non-legitimately is bad enough, let alone double that.

Also, going a little further back, CM Punk winning the WrestleMania MiTB TWICE IN A ROW was pathetic. Seriously, the one he won in 2008 was awesome, and in 2009, it seems they were just trying to live on that past glory but failed badly

Then we move onto Miz, Alberto Del Rio and Ziggler. Those 3 guys were all pushed far too early, and will never again be champions. Back to the mid-cards they go and will remain until they get endeavored.

The Diva matches are pretty much useless now and are over in 2 mins.

Also, on that note, getting rid of the WWE Womens title after 55 years was f**king pathetic. This, mind you, was before the Divas division deteriorated to the joke it is now.

Then getting guys like Brodus Clay and Ryback to win something like 22 quash matches in a row then release them (BC) and demote them to seemingly mid-carders now (Ryback), is another stupid move.

New comers like Rose and Bo Dallas are winning all their matches. These guys will never be championship material and will only be mid carders. It's important for WWE to make their new comers LOOSE a few of their first matches, because it seems winning 20 odd matches in row followed by 20 loses in a row will be followed by a mid-carder stint then... endevoured! Get them to work and earn their way up FFS.

On the positive note, the Shield was great, and they couldn't have made them disband at a worse possible time, just as everyone was getting behind them.

But... ENOUGH of the Authority FFS. They've run their course, time for them to break up, they throw their weight around far too often, and we're sick of it.

Now... the one thing I've liked recently is Zeb Coulter. I love his 'we the people' chant, how everyone rises up and says it with him, particularly against Rusev.

Rusev... I think he's heading down the same path a Vladmir Koslov! Remember him?

Eelementary

Post Whore
IMO the WWE is in excellent shape for years to come:

Alberto Del Rio
Antonio Cesaro
Jack Swagger
Dolph Ziggler
Bray Wyatt
Luke Harper
Eric Rowan
Roman Reigns
Seth Rollins
Dean Ambrose
Big E
Bo Dallas
Miz
Fandango

Are all guys that can add a lot to the WWE in years to come IMO.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Sami Zayn and Adrian Neville from NXT are amazing, KENTA, Prince Devitt and Kevin Steen all have huge wraps coming in as well. The future is very bright.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sami Zayn and Adrian Neville from NXT are amazing, KENTA, Prince Devitt and Kevin Steen all have huge wraps coming in as well. The future is very bright.

Absolutely.

And we even have Daniel Bryan in the spotlight.

The WWE is in great shape.

And at the moment, I just can't get enough of Reigns, Rollins and Ambrose.