What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The end of the line for the Bulldogs

PeterBrown

Juniors
When the NRL issues out new licenses for clubs to rejoin the competition, there is one team that I do not want to see get their license renewed. That team is the BULLDOGS.

This team is a disgrace to the NRL. the latest allegations of drug dealing is the last straw. All the bulldogs seem to do these days is attract bad publicity to the NRL.

We are better off without them. Maybe their license should go the the Central Coast, Gold Coast, Wellington, Western Reds, Adelaide Rams, anyone but the bulldogs!

What does everyone else think?

Kid

Juniors
There is no chance of that happening mate. A lot of people would like to see it, but it will not happen.

JW

Coach
No matter what opinion any of us have, i'd say it's never likely to happen.

But yes, they are pushing the limits that's for sure.

Cheers.

I don't think for the NRL to retain and grow some credibility it should kick out one of the clubs with the longest and proudest traditions...

however, sweeping changes need to be made thete obviously. I don't know exactly what elements are at work there or why, but it would appear that problems that occur at Belmore seem to make it to the papers much quicker than any other club and are never 'feel good' stories.
Is it just the players? Surely a club that has a guy like Steve Price leading them cannot have 20+ other blokes behind him that are complete fools?
What is worng with the cultrue at the Bulldogs? Seriously??

ibeme

First Grade
I think the fact that Malcom Noad has just signed up and intends being there for ten years says something about the NRL's intentions to clean them up rather than kick them out.

They're too important both strategically, and financially to be given the boot.

Having said that, I could not offer any defense for them if they were kicked out.

I reckon they won't get kicked out of the RL now that they have that Super League muppet running the joint. At worse now they'll get a slap onthe wrist and told to behave.

Look at what Souths, Norths, Balmain, Wests, Illawarra did? Their crime was to stay loyal to the ARL and they got punted.

Canterbury go to Super League and they can do no wrong?

People, the war is still on. Super League fans, try and tell me it's not???

What SL clubs have died or merged?

Dogaholic

First Grade
Henson Park Hornets said:
I reckon they won't get kicked out of the RL now that they have that Super League muppet running the joint. At worse now they'll get a slap onthe wrist and told to behave.

Look at what Souths, Norths, Balmain, Wests, Illawarra did? Their crime was to stay loyal to the ARL and they got punted.

In your opinion don't you mean??

Canterbury were viable to survive on their own, the other's wern't and paid the price accordingly.

Bulldogs won't get kicked out.

JW

Coach

I apologise if I am interpereting your post in the wrong way.

My club, Brisbane, were involved in Super League. And i'll readily admit that they were very much involved more than most. Did I support Super League and the whole concept of it? No. Did I support Ribot? No. Did I support my team? Yes.

I never supported Super League, and I try to refrain from bringing it up, Super League is better off where it belongs - out of my mind, and no longer in existance.

As for the politics of it all, and your mentioning of the former ARL clubs, I can't agree or disagree on that issue with you simply because I choose not to. However, I was upset personally, and for the game, when those teams went - am I still a 'Super League fan'?

I am interested to know who 'Super League' fans are? Are you insinuating that any people here who support a team that was in the Super League comp are 'Super League fans'? Or are you saying that there are people here who want to go back to those days?

If you are saying that I am a 'Super League fan' because my team was involved - you are very, very wrong and should re-think your comments.

Again, I apologise if I read your post the wrong way, but to be called a 'Super League' becuase I support a former Super League Club (such as Brisbane, Canterbury, etc) doesn't sit very well with me - because in no way have I ever supported it.

Cheers.

t-ba

Post Whore
Its a Dogs World said:

Canterbury were viable to survive on their own, the other's wern't and paid the price accordingly.

Care to Explain how, other than an exceptionally rainy 1999, how the Bears weren't viable?

Once Dead

Bench

Don't worry Henson, its the truth - tell me how many ARL clubs would still be in the comp if SL had its way and its comp wasn't a total disaster and waste of Murdoch's millions, probably 1 or 2......goes to show the power that News wielded and continues to.........i have a feeling that you heard a hard hitting league radio program on the weekend that doesn't muck around with the truth ala 2GB etc.......

Souths do nothing and are made to sit out for 2 years, Balmain/Wests/Illawarra/St George/Norths are all dead except in PL.....but the Bulldogs tear league apart and continue to drag it through the gutter and only get further rewarded by having a place in the league - now that is a disgrace

Dogaholic

First Grade
t-ba the hutt said:
Its a Dogs World said:

Care to Explain how, other than an exceptionally rainy 1999, how the Bears weren't viable?

Obviously there were other teams who better fit the criteria that the NRL set out.

t-ba

Post Whore
So the Sharks were more viable than the Bears?

Other than a News Limited Money injection, I'd say NO!

t-ba

Post Whore
If the Bulldogs were a telecommunications company, Jodie Rich would have flown the coup to Malta by now...

Dogaholic

First Grade
Not too sure about the Sharks. I wasn't too worried about their issues to keep a close eye on them

Once Dead

Bench
Its a Dogs World said:

What crap! What absolute crap! Canterbury, for one, DO NOT EXIST, your clubs is called THE BULLDOGS - generic name team who forsook their heritage for money......btw-the only reason THE BULLDOGS were viable was because they had huge money deals stitched up with News Ltd for several years AFTER the NRL was formed.......its like saying, a player taking a performance enhancing drug - sure, on the outside everything looks even, but beneath the surface its far from it

t-ba

Post Whore
Well get worried about them.

Your club might learn a thing or two about viability unless Storm Trooper Noad fixes the place up.

Once Dead

Bench
t-ba the hutt said:
So the Sharks were more viable than the Bears?

Other than a News Limited Money injection, I'd say NO!

Didn't THE SHARKS, now Cronulla Sharks have only $600 dollars in the bank a few years ago? Yeah, reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaal viable without News Ltd's nice little cash injections (regardless of whether my memory is delusional re: $600)

Dogaholic

First Grade
t-ba the hutt said:
Well get worried about them.

Your club might learn a thing or two about viability unless Storm Trooper Noad fixes the place up.

You think im not worried about them?

Im hoping Noad cleans house.

Once Dead

Bench
PeterBrown said:
When the NRL issues out new licenses for clubs to rejoin the competition, there is one team that I do not want to see get their license renewed. That team is the BULLDOGS.

This team is a disgrace to the NRL. the latest allegations of drug dealing is the last straw. All the bulldogs seem to do these days is attract bad publicity to the NRL.

We are better off without them. Maybe their license should go the the Central Coast, Gold Coast, Wellington, Western Reds, Adelaide Rams, anyone but the bulldogs!

What does everyone else think?

What would be more viable and reasonable would be a one season suspension from the competition, that would surely get the message across and be fair

t-ba

Post Whore
I think they were Cronulla @ that stage. The NSWRL took the Cronulla sharks name off them as a trademark in 1991 in return for fixing them up with some dosh didn't they? That's why they were called Sharks international during the Super League years I believe. I'm not 100% on that.