What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Federal Elections: Pick the margins

CyberKev2002

Juniors
Johnsy

You're far more gracious than I am about this whole sorry saga, Old Son! To hear Liberals sprouting nonsense about how their superior policies won the day is galling beyond imagination. They won it purely and simply because the media in Australia are (almost without exception) their bitches and they played the Australian public like a violin from the moment that the garden Gnome put forward that illegal (under international law) proposal on border protection knowing full well that labor would have no choice other than reject it.

The propaganda war fought by the loathesome Libs during this campaign was unprecedented. Nonsense about unemployment being down (nothing to do of course, with Work for the Dole participants being counted as employed while they do the program); nonsense about Liberals being great economy managers; nonsense about the Libs being responsible for low interest rates; etc, and Joe Public gobbled-up the tripe in their blissful ignorance.

Bottom line is we end-up with a Government that never actually governs. Its too easy to accrue surpluses by not spending and reneging on "non-core" promises, inevitably running down the public infrastructure. Invariably the surplus gets redistributed to the top end of town and the everyday Aussie sits back and counts the cost.

What a joke.

CyberKev

J

Johnsy

Kev
What can we do? whinge, complain. Nope I am getting on with life, but I have decided to become a card carrying member, come along brother. I am sure if it was not for the st kilda/hawthorne thing, that we were twins. I will be talking to mum this evening just to make sure. As for being gracious, its all a front i dont want them to have the satisfaction of knowing how I really feel. OOOooooops.
Johnsy

J

Johnsy

Kev
Long time no hear, and how are things mate. What choice do we have Kev? we should get on with life, It has made me realise that I need to become a card carrying memebr, come along brother, as the song goes, "you cant have me I,m part of the union". As for being gracious dont be silly, its just a brave face. deep down I am fu*$ing furious that a majority of australians believe the crap that has been fed to them. The ALP still received more primary votes than the libs, yet they are in power. During the election coverage I heard several Liberal ministers whinge that the democrats had done a deal with labor, what the f*#k is the coalition, its the deal of all deals. I am furious kev, but we will return when the rest of aus wake up. Simon Crean will make a great leader in time, in time.
Johns

J

Johnsy

Apoligies about the "double up" the first response timed and did not go through on my pc, but when i retyped it it went through with the second message, sorry bout that.
Johnsy

CyberKev2002

Juniors
MFC

The only thing that will save labor is B.Carr

Now that's optimism if ever I heard it... One glorious saviour of a man against a seemingly limitless swarm of faceless muck peddlers? NOT A CHANCE!

The only thing that will save Labor is if the Australian media gets a massive dose of morality, ethics, selflessness and remorse over night!

I'll be keeping the cash in the wallet on this one... God knows we'll all need to be especially careful with money over the next few years
emsad.gif

CyberKev

I waited patiently until all the votes were counted and I respectfully submit that this contest was another case of rorted News Ltd dud criteria:)
First they got Souths now one of their fans.
Note the following facts.
Bigbopper (the first to submit a tip) picked the winner (Coalition) the exact majority (14 seats) and came close with others (2 instead of 3).
But who wins? Bronco who picked the winner, but had the wrong margin (8) and actually predicted that the Greens would win three lower house seats with none for others.
Why does he win - the massive weighting given to selecting the time for the concession. But it's worse - he didn't nominate a time zone. 10.34pm NZ time would have been 12.34am in NSW and 3.34am in Perth (where Beazley made the concession)
What a rort. I demand the election be reheld next Saturday.
Does anyone have Nick Pappas's phone number?
Cheers

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yep... you're right Bigbopper... it's an absolute farce!
Thats politics for ya....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bopper: Mind you... congrats... you've missed out on a Cabinet posting but are definitely assured of the less stressful position of being a back bencher... with plenty of perks...
emthup.gif

M

meltiger

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td valign=top nowrap width="100%">From:CyberKev2002</td> <td valign=top nowrap>Sent:10/11/2001 12:17PM</td></tr></tbody></table> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=10 width="100%" bgcolor=#ffffff border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> Bottom line issues that secured my vote for Labor...

memories of the Liberals promising to never hoist us with a GST only to do so shortly after. an election campaign where they freely stated they would put in place a GST if re-elected, allowing the electorate to vote on the issue which under our electoral system enabled them to institute their policy that they took to the people. Fixed your wording for you Kev.</td></tr></tbody></table>

CyberKev2002

Juniors
LOL, Craig.

I can't argue with technicalities. Bottom line is that most people didn't want it , the 39% coalition primary vote ensured that no solid mandate (a nonsense notion at anytime) existed for its implementation, but the flawed Australian electoral system did leave the door slightly ajar (prior to the Demoprats thrusting it wide open). The true impact of this decision will inevitably be felt when the government decides to return income tax rates to their pre-GST level or as bracket creep takes its terrible toll, whichever comes first. At any rate, introducing a tax system that has failed the masses the world over in order to avoid playing hardball with the corporate fat cats wouldn't have come as a great surprise to the Liberals many critics.

CyberKev

Latest posts