What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have the drift of the question correctly,then my answer is Russell Fairfax.
His combination with Arthur Beetson was something to behold.
I can't recollect a fullback prior to him, coming through the forwards as much in support of a ball player.

Navigator

Juniors
I'd have said Russell Fairfax too. I also can't remember anyone prior to him doing so. I'm just wondering how far back the player goes.
Are we correct to be assuming a fullback as the answer? Or has the question been worded in such a way to throw us all off track a little? It could be a winger or centre also, as these players are just as prone to doing so. I'd doubt if a five-eight or half would fit into the role. They've been doing it for years. I'm guessing.
Good question :)

I'll take a real long shot.
Eric Grothe.
I'm sure it was well before his time but I have fond memories of this man-mountain rampaging his way through just about any teams defence. And I'm not even an EEls fan!
Cheers-AaronC

V

Vertigo

This is a very good question. So many backline players have successfully done this, that it's pretty tough to nail who actually set the standard first. I'm guessing the player goes back many years. It's hard though to legitimately make claim to who actually initiated it. I look forward to the answer.
I have no idea who it may be, but, if we're talking of custodians, then players like Russell Fairfax, Brian Johnsonand Gary Jack area fewthat I remember vividly.All threedid it with great effect and finess.
V.

emthdown.gif

Navigator

Juniors
I think I may have it.
Frank "The Running Fullback" McMillan.
Here's where I found it - http://www.angelfire.com/mt/hort/innovators.html
7. Frank McMillan
"The Running Fullback"
Position: Fullback
Played for: Western Suburbs, NSW, Australia <table border=2> <tbody> <tr> <td>
mcmillan.jpg
</td> <td>This Magpie legend changed the role of fullbacks and backline play, when he elected to play in the front line in attack. The move would give his side an extra man in the line, and create an overlap. This was lethal when combined with brilliant legend Vic Hey at five eighth. Hey was a visionary, who could read the play like no other. His deft passes were perfect food for McMillan, who would pass a defensive line with a full threequarter line available to use to continue progress. The combination, and McMillan's extra man play netted Wests 3 premierships, and both men the honour of captaining their country. Some of Australia's greatest legends, like Clive Churchill, Les Johns, Ken Thornett, Greame Langlands, Graham Eadie and Garry Belcher all perfected this style to great career advantage.
It is the basis of attacking fullback play today. </td></tr></tbody></table>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts