What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Foran Files

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Wonder if Foran has done his mandatory 'rehab' stint in Thailand like all the NRL misfits seem to do.
Rehab here would be like going to a whorehouse for a stint of celibacy.

Are you talking Auckland or the Warriors? Either are preferable to Sydney and the Sydney clubs considering Foran's specific set of problems. What the guy needs is to be away from the Sydney media spotlight and the Sydney player/WAG/socialite/parasite scene yet still be somewhere with family/peer support. We're pretty well placed to provide that.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Thing is though, his kids are in Sydney. He's not going to stay here for any period of time. I feel uneasy talking about someone's personal life but those are the facts.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thing is though, his kids are in Sydney. He's not going to stay here for any period of time. I feel uneasy talking about someone's personal life but those are the facts.

Sydney is only a 2 hour flight away. For someone with money thats not a huge issue if it's not forever. It's certainly not really any different to him going to Canberra, Melbourne or Brisbane for example.

JJ

Immortal
Well he never wanted to leave Sydney so not sure why those clubs are relevant, and it's 3.5 hours or so, I get your point but it's not the same as being in that city, not close

Rich102

Staff member
Kieran Foran will need to take a sizable pay cut to resurrect his career with the New Zealand Warriors next season.

We’ve been told the Warriors have just $600,000 to spare in their cap for 2017 – money the club had been keeping safe for a surprise buy.

After walking away from his $1.2 million salary at Parramatta, Foran certainly fits into that category.

He’s now essentially unemployed, believed to be living on the Central Coast close to his mother and older brother, Liam.

How professionally the former Kiwis skipper is treating his injured shoulder – which underwent season-ending surgery in May – is not known.

The Warriors are entitled to wary about that. If the injury has not been rehabilitated correctly over the past three months, it could set Foran’s return back some time or, worse still, aggravate the risk of it recurring.

Warriors CEO Jim Doyle says he’s been in regular contact with Foran; the pair’s relationship extending back several years to when Doyle ran the NZRL.

Warriors insiders say Doyle has a soft spot for big name signings that boost gate receipts and sponsorship.

Word has it he even raised Benji Marshall’s name at a recruitment meeting a few months ago.Andrew McFadden’s coaching staff shut that idea down quick smart.

Meanwhile, the next three weeks shape as career-defining for McFadden, who was told at the start of the year he can expected to be sacked should the Warriors fail to make the top eight.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...featuring-josh-massoud-and-liam-cox-round-24/

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
3.5hrs Auckland to Sydney?
Well he never wanted to leave Sydney so not sure why those clubs are relevant, and it's 3.5 hours or so, I get your point but it's not the same as being in that city, not close

His life situation has changed since then though, to put it mildly.

JJ

Immortal
3.5hrs Auckland to Sydney?

Correct, pretty sure that's what they schedule, with favourable wind it might end up closer to 3 hours, but then traffic either side etc and it's not as convenient as all that.

Anyway, as I said above I'd not be wanting him at the moment, and if Doyle has a good relationship with him and cares he won't be going hard after him at the moment anyway

Scott

Bench
I read somewhere that he re-injured his shoulder as well. Considering he is currently not contracted, i'd have to question the whole rehab process with his shoulder. IMO, it would be a big mistake to sign him at this stage. What sort of message does it send to Hingano & Lolohea?

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Kieran Foran will need to take a sizable pay cut to resurrect his career with the New Zealand Warriors next season.

We’ve been told the Warriors have just $600,000 to spare in their cap for 2017 – money the club had been keeping safe for a surprise buy.

I rekon this is b.s
We've not added anyone to our 2017 roster or upgraded any youngins AND we're losing guys like TL, Robson, Konnie, B Henry. That would be atleast 800k right there, in reality probably over $1mil

For us to only have 600k AFTER those guys have been freed up we would have had to have been over the cap in the first place...

TheDMC

Bench
Are you talking Auckland or the Warriors? Either are preferable to Sydney and the Sydney clubs considering Foran's specific set of problems. What the guy needs is to be away from the Sydney media spotlight and the Sydney player/WAG/socialite/parasite scene yet still be somewhere with family/peer support. We're pretty well placed to provide that.

Nah just commenting on the irony of NRL players going to rehab in Thailand - where drugs, prostitutes, and all sorts of temptations are in your face...Paul Carter and Mitchell Pearce went there this year.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I rekon this is b.s
We've not added anyone to our 2017 roster or upgraded any youngins AND we're losing guys like TL, Robson, Konnie, B Henry. That would be atleast 800k right there, in reality probably over $1mil

For us to only have 600k AFTER those guys have been freed up we would have had to have been over the cap in the first place...

Each of those players was in the top 25 so they would have been replaced by someone at a minimum of $80k. So just for those 4 players we would have whatever their salaries equaled minus $320k which would be their replacements. $600 - $800k makes sense I reckon

jaseg

Juniors
I rekon this is b.s

We've upgraded Afoa, Clark, Kata, Ogden & Tevaga - and activated 2017 options for Johnson & Maumalo which likely involved some sort of pay rise from their 2016 salaries (almost certainly in Johnson's case - a guy like that doesn't sign a contract with options in the clubs favour unless those options give pay rises). Might have done the same/similar (either upgrade or taken up an option at increased $) for Hingano & Niukore without actually announcing it (they've done that in the past with guys like RFM, so it's entirely possible). On the flip side, we're also losing Lousi who was apparently on silly money..

The club might have money put away for 2 signings... the 600k-ish amount may be just what they are willing to spend on Foran/one signing specifically. But probably not. In any case, it's a 1 year contract that gives Foran the opportunity to earn big dollars on the next one (probably not with us). I see that as a win/win... we get Foran at an affordable price for a season, and Hingano is still so young (I think he's ready now, but at 19 years old he can wait another year).

I'm fine with losing Lolohea if that's what it takes (since Foran is better short term and I'm pretty sure Hingano is better long term).. though I'm not sure it will. Doyle's a hard negotiator... if he's thinking of letting Lolohea go, he may well refuse to do so unless he gets something we need in return - I'd guess that a quality winger would be most likely, given that the only money available in such a situation would be Lolohea's salary.. likely not enough to bring in a really high quality middle forward.

Big Marn

Juniors

After walking away from his $1.2 million salary at Parramatta, Foran certainly fits into that category.

He’s now essentially unemployed, believed to be living on the Central Coast close to his mother and older brother, Liam.

How professionally the former Kiwis skipper is treating his injured shoulder – which underwent season-ending surgery in May – is not known.

The Warriors are entitled to wary about that. If the injury has not been rehabilitated correctly over the past three months, it could set Foran’s return back some time or, worse still, aggravate the risk of it recurring.

Warriors CEO Jim Doyle says he’s been in regular contact with Foran; the pair’s relationship extending back several years to when Doyle ran the NZRL.

Warriors insiders say Doyle has a soft spot for big name signings that boost gate receipts and sponsorship.

Word has it he even raised Benji Marshall’s name at a recruitment meeting a few months ago.Andrew McFadden’s coaching staff shut that idea down quick smart.

Meanwhile, the next three weeks shape as career-defining for McFadden, who was told at the start of the year he can expected to be sacked should the Warriors fail to make the top eight.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...featuring-josh-massoud-and-liam-cox-round-24/

How much fact and how much fiction in that article i wonder?
I found tackles 2-6 more interesting to be honest.

We've upgraded Afoa, Clark, Kata, Ogden & Tevaga - and activated 2017 options for Johnson & Maumalo which likely involved some sort of pay rise from their 2016 salaries (almost certainly in Johnson's case - a guy like that doesn't sign a contract with options in the clubs favour unless those options give pay rises). Might have done the same/similar (either upgrade or taken up an option at increased $) for Hingano & Niukore without actually announcing it (they've done that in the past with guys like RFM, so it's entirely possible). On the flip side, we're also losing Lousi who was apparently on silly money..

The club might have money put away for 2 signings... the 600k-ish amount may be just what they are willing to spend on Foran/one signing specifically. But probably not. In any case, it's a 1 year contract that gives Foran the opportunity to earn big dollars on the next one (probably not with us). I see that as a win/win... we get Foran at an affordable price for a season, and Hingano is still so young (I think he's ready now, but at 19 years old he can wait another year).

I'm fine with losing Lolohea if that's what it takes (since Foran is better short term and I'm pretty sure Hingano is better long term).. though I'm not sure it will. Doyle's a hard negotiator... if he's thinking of letting Lolohea go, he may well refuse to do so unless he gets something we need in return - I'd guess that a quality winger would be most likely, given that the only money available in such a situation would be Lolohea's salary.. likely not enough to bring in a really high quality middle forward.

good summary jase

when i went to the away membership meeting with doyle he said they wont release players unless they get something in return
thomas is realesed 1 year left on his contract and foran is offered a 1 year deal. simple swap really.
also benry wasnt on peanuts but we have his salary up our sleeves for next year

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Very good point here, I'm not sure how being away from his kids for a long period of time could be advantageous to his situation mentally

There is no guarantee that he will play again anyway, although I think it would be near impossible to prove anything, there is now a hell of a lot of smoke hanging around him in regards to this match fixing stuff. The Roosters official that has been stood down today has extremely close ties to Foran as well