What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The game is becoming disturbingly SOFT

Amadaca

Juniors
Only GF I was at was 2000. The only GF where both sets of fans cheered at the full-time siren --- happy that the dullest game of footy ever seen was over :lol:

Danish

Referee
The inconsistency is what gets me...fights happen every other week before origin & most don't get dealt with. Gallen throws 2 "premeditated" punches in origin & now it seems others will cop the brunt.

Personally I've never forgotten Luke Ricketson missing, I think, the 2003 GF because he "slapped" a cowboy (can't remember who). Yet there's so many other instances of punches/fights over the years when nothing ever happened.

To be fair I think that slap knocked out 2 of Fien's front teeth, so it wasn't exactly a light hit.

In saying that 2 weeks prior Steve Price got let off a striking charge for punching a bloke in the face based on having his eyes shut.... argued that given he shut his eyes while swinging he couldn't possibly have had any intent to punch a bloke.

So the inconsistency call still holds true.

isaiah

Bench
The gutless refs need to deal with it better on field rather than leaving everything for the video when it comes to fighting.

Cordner overreacted to a nothing bump and started throwing them, continuing wildly while Ryan was being held by about 4 guys. He should have gone to the sin bin. If they saw Ryan as the aggressor or Fui's run-in worth punishing then they could go for 10 minutes too.

Sin bin is sufficient punishment and if they used it properly for fights like that and the Gallen one in origin then you shouldn't need to dish out suspensions
just on your last statement- gallen in origin was not a fight. only one of the 2 grubs used his fists. they were toe to toe, but myles reacted rather mildly to a stiff arm, then gallen overreacted to a push.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
So every high shot is worthy of a charge by the judiciary?

No, and they aren't all charged

And since when have blokes who stood toe-to-toe and thrown punches been getting suspended? I do believe Ryan started the incident and threw a few back... where's his charge? Fui Fui was 3rd man in, where's his charge?

It's always been determined on a case-by-case basis. Looked to me like Cordner started throwing first in a pretty meh situation. What's the difference between throwing first and "striking"? Also, I definitely think it makes a difference if you throw a million and the other bloke never throws one. That's not really a "fight".

I haven't really analysed the Cordner incident closely but my first impression was he overreacted to not much and went on with it too long. If he lands and knocks Ryan unconscious before Ryan has even tried to throw one, what's the penalty there?

If two blokes want to have a bit of biff then leave it at that; what happens on the field stays on the field in that instance.

It's rarely that simple. These aren't kids arranging fights after school. Sometimes there's an aggressor and another bloke who's getting belted and has no idea what's going on.

And if we're going to charge EVERY tackle that glances the head, e.g. SBWs example, then we won't have many blokes available to line up every weekend.

But we're not....

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
My point is I've seen dozens of tackles just as "bad" as SBWs over the last few weeks that haven't been charged. The only reason SBW was charged IMO is because he got away with a blatant crusher tackle the week before which should have been charged. Again, inconsistency.

As for Cordner ... fair enough if that's the precedent and from now on and you'll cop a week for throwing a punch. But ... Josh McGuire threw a punch which actually landed a few weeks ago and didn't cop a week.

It's inconsistently inconsistent. That's how annoying it is.

super_coach

First Grade
Like the rest of society the game has to protect it self from litigation. Rightly or wrongly the game could be exposed to a massive law suit if a player was badly injured through a punch,high shot or even shoulder charge. I agree some of the calls this year for high shots are just crazy but a smart QC will mop the floor with the NRL if they had to defend a player who was injured because of foul play or even careless play.Its all part of this silly world we live in

Ron Jeremy

Coach
south-park-1608-sarcastaball-BCG-clip12.jpg

:lol:

now back in the game!!

Springs

First Grade
Its a TV product
Add to the fact refs have no feel for the game
Then throw in the hairstyles and hugging and laughing with the opposition after games

Sickening

Poor ol Rex would be turning in his grave

That's always happened. It happens everywhere. It's one of the great things about the game that what happens on the field stays there.

The way I see it, the talent spread these days is so desperately thin that the game simply can't afford to have players sitting on the sidelines for innocuous offences.

And it's getting worse every year.

Pugzley

Blame St George and News.

It all started with the shoulder charge and the term "player welfare"

cleary89

Coach
just on your last statement- gallen in origin was not a fight. only one of the 2 grubs used his fists. they were toe to toe, but myles reacted rather mildly to a stiff arm, then gallen overreacted to a push.

Lol yeh ud have to be a grub to use fists in a fight. Use to love all the pussies who would get up and push and then not have the balls to throw anything.

Amadaca

Juniors
...or watched where the f**k he was going.

Sad day in League's history, as great as that hit was.

DeeJ

Bench
Yes he should've "surrendered" in the tackle

No, his standing in the game as a 'star' when he was no more than an average player his whole career helped kick up the fuss. If it was Nigel Plum or someone getting polaxed we wouldn't have had the public outcry.

But no, because daddy's favourite son was ko'd we had to change the entire game (for the worse).

Amadaca

Juniors
No, his standing in the game as a 'star' when he was no more than an average player his whole career helped kick up the fuss. If it was Nigel Plum or someone getting polaxed we wouldn't have had the public outcry.

But no, because daddy's favourite son was ko'd we had to change the entire game (for the worse).

This.

He is the Todd Byrne of this decade. Will forever be known as another player's bitch.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like the rest of society the game has to protect it self from litigation. Rightly or wrongly the game could be exposed to a massive law suit if a player was badly injured through a punch,high shot or even shoulder charge. I agree some of the calls this year for high shots are just crazy but a smart QC will mop the floor with the NRL if they had to defend a player who was injured because of foul play or even careless play.Its all part of this silly world we live in

Err no the NRL cannot be sued if a player commits foul play outside of the rules. A player could sue another player. In fact the likelihood of being sued for a shoulder charge is much higher now it is illegal.

Hanscholo

Bench
Ive lost a lot of interest in the NRL, and for me it boils down to a lot of things but the shoulder charge was really the last straw. Ive become less and less interested. I cant abide someone bracing themself in a tackle and being penalised for it....i just cant watch anymore.

Tommy Smith

Referee
And finally a bit of common sense with Cordner found not guilty. The Match Review Panel can suck wang.

Perhaps there is hope for the game yet.

SBW should have appealed as well, though.

Latest posts