What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gruen Transfer hates Rugby League

On a similar vein another ABC produced show "The Chasers War On Everything" used to have a recurring theme of making NRL-related jokes....

- Nate Myles (re-enactment)
- Sharks rape allegations (over the PA at Toyota Stadium)
- Bulldogs supporters (selling fake weapons outside Kogarah)
as well as general stabs at Rugby League culture

Though to even it out somewhat they did a sketch on the "West Coke Eagles" and the surprise spruiker at 50uff$ Leagues Club

mongoose

Coach
On a similar vein another ABC produced show "The Chasers War On Everything" used to have a recurring theme of making NRL-related jokes....

Though to even it out somewhat they did a sketch on the "West Coke Eagles" and the surprise spruiker at 50uff$ Leagues Club

I have a number of friends in Perth. I've heard stories about the West "Coke" Eagles that makes NRL teams look like a bunch of sunday school kids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have a number of friends in Perth. I've heard stories about the West "Coke" Eagles that makes NRL teams look like a bunch of sunday school kids.

me too, mostly from 5-10 years ago though.

re Australian Comedians, Tim Minchin is a very fuuny and talented guy.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Wil like most victorians who have to move to Sydney for work make it their life work to promote afl

No big deal. Todd Sampson said he went to the grand final last year. I'm guessing it was the nrl as it's shot at ultimo

30 Mar 2011*… The Gruen Transfer [Gruen World]. To join the studio*… Gruen Nation is filmed at the ABC Studios in Ultimo, Sydney.*…

Doomednow

Bench

That was all piss funny though.

Part of the problem is that the NRL airs its laundry, and therefore leaves itself open to satire and criticism, whereas AFL sweeps everything under the rug. I prefer to have everything out and taken care of to be honest.

It also doesn't help that a lot of these shows are Victoria-centric. But what can you do? NRL succeeds despite it's handicaps. It would be nice to see the field evened out a little though.

eozsmiles

Bench
A problem will always arise when sports fans talk about gambling - they generally have no idea. A problem will always arise when the "Mass" media talk about sport or gambling - they have no idea.

The Gruen Transfer made some excellent points about the way gambling has infiltrated RL and sport in general but showed themselves up with their lack of knowledge of RL or the current events. But it is still important as those people earn millions based on "image" and therefore there opinion of RL's image has to be respected.

But as always, sport and gambling should not be discussed together. You either watch a game or you gamble on it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm pretty a number of the chaser boys are actually decent league fans, they used to talk about it a bit and showed some knowledge when they had a triplem show before they were really famous.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I'm pretty a number of the chaser boys are actually decent league fans, they used to talk about it a bit and showed some knowledge when they had a triplem show before they were really famous.

Yeah that's until one of them signed up to LU and made a complete dick of himself.

me too, mostly from 5-10 years ago though.

re Australian Comedians, Tim Minchin is a very fuuny and talented guy.

Tim Minchin is over rated and not nearly as original or creative as he's claimed.

If you want the real thing then Bill Bailey is the man. Unfortunately Bill isn't Australian, but then good comedians never are.

Hooch

Juniors
Tim Minchin is f**king awful.

As for Gruen, well that's always going to happen with a Melbourne show. AFL is an establishment game down there, like Union is up here.

Latest posts