What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gruen Transfer hates Rugby League

Eddie Lab

Juniors
NRL marketing hasn't been great but at the end of the day the NRL will be the main winners. according to the Financial Review the AFL will lose money on this finals series and the NRL will make a profit.

http://www.afr.com/p/national/finals_financials_nrl_will_win_afl_WOZjwKEnc1X9B15ZG96MDN

As the AFL slides towards a million-dollar loss on its finals series, the NRL is set to make a profit on its season-deciding matches thanks to the popularity of the teams competing to win the premiership.

can't read the article as it's behind a paywall but it still seems that the NRL finals series hasn't been a flop.

mongoose

Coach
It kind of shows the difference in the sports in a nutshell..

I'm pretty sure the Gruen Planet show is filmed at the Ultimo studios....

Will and Russel both are Melbournites that live in Sydney now...

When bagging RL about 3.2Km where RL started in Australia, the crowd just all laugh along...

The crowd are all Sydney People... btw

Imagine this in reverse at the melbourne studios,,,

half the crowd would leave...

Most sydney NRL fans don't take their game so seriously, where as AFL fans in Melbourne are insular, deluded and cult like who are part of a big propaganda machine. I would much rather be associated with the former than the later.

Who cares what they think anyway? While the premise of the show is good, I want to put a brick through my television anytime I see Anderson's head so the show goes unwatched at my place.

And whoever said Australian comedians are shit, they're bang on. Save Carl Barron and Steve Hughes

ucantseeme

Juniors
What's everyone's opinion about advertising in the afl & nrl, I think they had a point about how piss weak the Nrl's ad is compared to the afl one.

So the lesson from Gruen is if want a great ad, it needs ACDC cranking in the background.

As the AFL slides towards a million-dollar loss on its finals series, the NRL is set to make a profit on its season-deciding matches thanks to the popularity of the teams competing to win the premiership.

I guess ACDC songs cost a lot.

The NRL should copy the AFL and use an ACDC track and try to "own" it through advertising. Obviously the big hits aren't going to be the NRL's price range so maybe aim for some ACDC's lesser hits. I vote for Big Gun. They don't need the lyrics, just the music.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Who cares what they think anyway? While the premise of the show is good, I want to put a brick through my television anytime I see Anderson's head so the show goes unwatched at my place.

And whoever said Australian comedians are shit, they're bang on. Save Carl Barron and Steve Hughes

look up Jim Jefferies. hes the only one i cann watch, but he does the aussie bogan thing perfectly.

Nerd

Bench
Will Anderson is a dead shit and a below average comedian to boot. I saw the tosser a few years back in The Powerhouse in Brisbane and a few minutes into his stand up the dick head does an attempted joke bagging Rugby League. You could have heard a pin drop. Bagging the most popular sport in the state shows how sharp this moron is!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I happened across it while flicking through the channels, and caught about 5 minutes. A bunch of brainwashed zombies rubbishing the NRL while talking up the AFL. It's almost like they don't even know they're doing it.

But yeah, it's not to be taken seriously. And we'll keep that in mind when someone has a funny look at the AFL scandals of 2013. Off the top my head: Essendon and James Hird from just this month, and Melbourne tanking, Adelaide's draft tampering, St Kilda player being charged with rape and some other player getting stabbed.

Come to think of it, it wouldn't be hard to base a whole season of episodes looking at the funny side of AFL.

Xfactor1979

Bench
Todd Sampson from the Gruen transfer does make a good point about how the AFL made the right call in using Tim Rogers (from You Am I) to be the face on the AFL finals promotion ad

Tim Rogers represents the type of males that the AFL that they would like to be represented as, bogan-ish, but can also fit into the alternative/ hipster/ 21st century scene for Aussie males.

Something the NRL has not quite achieved with their angle of advertising. The idea of using Jessica Mauboy has had mixed to negative reception

TiggaPlease

TBH I thought it was just some random derro walking along in the ad until Gruen said it was the bloke from You Am I.

Glad NRL didn't do anything like that.

Xfactor1979

Bench
The thing is tim rogers is a guy who befits the afl male (on the surface)

Ie a white guy who can sip a latte at a coffee place.

The nrl has the same amount of capital for affluent gents, but have sold themselves short in that regard, I listen to the hit up with Deb Spillane, and the people who talk on that show have far more interesting conversations than what the afl has to offer. The afl is primitive in terms of saying 'bad luck' if only the ball bounced in your favour. Talk that the nrl would never delve into

What the nrl should use is what a chick told me when I was backpacking around canada: "you live in sydney, and you want to talk about afl? *mockingly'

What the nrl should do is use sydney's capital of beautiful women, ie yvonne strahovsky, to say that :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In a balanced response, Todd would have mentioned the Hoodoo Gurus, the quintessential Sydney band with frontman Dave Faulkner... who Tim Rogers looks up to.

The NRL have also used British alternative band Chumbawamba's 'I Get Knocked Down' song as the signature tune some years ago. The AFL weren't even on the same ball park with that one.

When it comes to sport, Todd talks crap. A blow-in. Anyone who who thinks he makes a good point has already left Rugby League. But each to their own... Enjoy your AFL.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't forget Tom Jones... Tina Turner... Jimmy Barnes...

I know we're going back a bit with those guys, but the bias was outstanding. And I normally don't mind watching the show.

Latest posts