What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The LJC\Stallion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

First Grade
Editor. You are overly touchy about this topic! Its clear rugby league is not being treated the same as other football codes yet you constanly such valid comments in this thread? You are showing signs of bigotry.

Stallion

First Grade
Everyone acknowledges it.
We just don't feel the need to make every single post about it. Mainly because Rugby League has more than enough self inflicted wounds to occupy it week to week.
Neutral sports fans don't care. The media doesn't care. Rugby League isn't a human right.

So it is a sport? Pretty sure if other codes copped this treatment their would be coverage and public discourse? It's a fairness and equity thing gents. And if you cannot see that then you have apathy in your thinking.

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
Editor. You are overly touchy about this topic! Its clear rugby league is not being treated the same as other football codes yet you constanly such valid comments in this thread? You are showing signs of bigotry.
Moron... You post had zero to do with the announcement of the profit for the World Cup. Get that through your thick skull. Post about the thread topic or get your posts moved. Others have more latitude than you due to your constant hijacking. Stop doing it and you don't get moved.

Stallion

First Grade
Moron... You post had zero to do with the announcement of the profit for the World Cup. Get that through your thick skull. Post about the thread topic or get your posts moved. Others have more latitude than you due to your constant hijacking. Stop doing it and you don't get moved.

Bit touchy are we? Don't like the truth getting out!? You are a biggot and should not be on this rugby league website.

Stallion

First Grade
You are a lying moron. But I will still be here... you wont be... you are hanging yourself with every post.

You are a despicable piece of unsportsmanlike work Te Kaha. Bigotry being your consistent trait. Whatever you lowlife !

Stallion

First Grade
It deserves nothing. No sport does. Each sport is responsible for its own development.

RFL cut funding for development officers. I have some sympathy with the RFL here as ideally it wouldnt want to do that. It's a money issue.

You seem to believe Rugby league has a divine right to be massive. Islamists think that way about their religion in the West.

Neither is the other rugby code. Both are niche sports, one - RU - slightly less niche. Both are played in outposts of the British Commonwealth, and but for this cultural link they wouldn't be played much at all outside England. In terms of shenanigans both are fighting over the scraps, the same small playing pool and people who are interested in watching the oval ball game. They are two codes of the same sport and will always be in conflict with each other.

Collision based sports have always had far lower participation numbers. Running into another human being is an acquired taste. Disclosing my own position I far more enjoy watching it than playing it, and among my friends im one of few that watches it. Other collision sports such as American football, Aussie rules, Gaelic football, they are popular in terms of participation in their own countries as its cultural - it's beyond just sport. In other places where there isn't a cultural tie they are barely played at all, while the viewing numbers are miniscule in comparison to their home country.

As was mentioned on this thread RL was most popular in Scotland in Aberdeen, where many men from RL heartlands in the north of England work offshore, so there is a cultural tie. Take away this cultural tie it would be like much of the rest of Scotland.

It's up to RL - and any other sport - to create a culture in a location, and that's done by doing it themselves. Spending money on clubs and academies for the locals to join. Cutting development officers won't exactly do it. Like any collision sport don't expect large numbers though, as unless it is embedded in the fabric of the place - NFL in the US, Aussie rules in Aus, Gaelic football in Ireland - it won't get significant numbers.

That's your interpretation. I think that you are ignoring reality. RU has significant establishment advantages over rugby league. And from your stance I dont believe you are a genuine fan of rugby league.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Good rant but you have veered off topic. Have you anything to say about my comment though?

Niche sports, both of them, like all collision based sports.

Yes I do. Rugby league has the potential to be as worldwide as soccer due to its more inclusive rules. This has not occured due to a number of reasons ranging from: inept administration and a hostile establishment environment fostered /encouraged by its older sibling code(RU). That's what I have to comment. The minute you started to inform me of the origins of RU and jusfify that as being reasonable in the whole scope of what has occured was when I shook my head and thought how ignorant you really are.
Rugby league is being held back significantly and its older brother code is doing its level best to keep this great football in its "place"(so to speak). You don't have a sport doing what it (RU-for example using miniscule pedantic rules to stop RL being recognised by international sports bodies, having the code of RL banned from countries, amateur players blacklisted for playing RL during the off season, continued exclusion from elite private schools whilst other "working class" codes(soccer, AFL in OZ gain entry etc) does behind the scenes for no reason. The reason is to stifle a genuinely better and more appealing version of the code of rugby "rugby league". The article attached gives an insight into what New Zealand journalist Malcolm Dreaneen(a fan of both rugby codes) writes concerning RU's stifling and "fear" of rugby league. It shows you how this has been done and touches on the international scene as well as South Africa in a very tell-tale "behind the scenes" way.
Their are other articles that you may like to read or "refute", but this one should give you an idea or perhaps, god forbid, some empathy to rugby league's struggles.

Attachments

• RL.The plight of South African rugby league.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Perhaps but it is still in the top two league markets in the world which is what I meant.
The lack of elite schools will have had an effect but a problem you ignore is that the traditional fans don’t want expansion out of the heartlands and oppose it at every instance.
I know you don’t like to accept league is it’s own worst enemy but it’s a true story.

Well as a parent you would be a customer and you could chose to not send your child to that school on that basis. It’s not like they hide the fact they don’t play league.

So you demand recognition from a body but don’t seem to have any care for the process they use to determine if a sport is eligable.
Can you point out to me that rugby league has met their criteria? My understanding is that the sport hasn’t.
The fact ‘table top dancing’ (I think you mean pole fitness) has done so just shows how bad our administration is.

Lol. You sell RL way short of its potential. RU administrators are aware of its potential and their behind the scenes posturing lead to the limiting/controlling of the far superior and inclusive code of rugby league.

Pommy

Coach
Yes I do. Rugby league has the potential to be as worldwide as soccer due to its more inclusive rules.

More inclusive rules? Are you totally unhinged or something?

Football can be played with a ball and 4 jumpers to make goals. You don’t need any coaching to play football st the very basic level and it can be inclusive of genders, ages and build size. This is why football is the most popular game in the world.

League is a great game but you can’t play it in the back street, you can’t play without some form of coaching or you risk seriously injuring people. You can’t have a casual inclusive game with girls as a child or you will be accused of beating up girls.
Build size is becoming such an issue in NSW that the juniors leagues are changing the way they classify the kids.

Pommy

Coach
Lol. You sell RL way short of its potential. RU administrators are aware of its potential and their behind the scenes posturing lead to the limiting/controlling of the far superior and inclusive code of rugby league.

How do I sell it short? Because?

Stallion

First Grade
More inclusive rules? Are you totally unhinged or something?

Football can be played with a ball and 4 jumpers to make goals. You don’t need any coaching to play football st the very basic level and it can be inclusive of genders, ages and build size. This is why football is the most popular game in the world.

League is a great game but you can’t play it in the back street, you can’t play without some form of coaching or you risk seriously injuring people. You can’t have a casual inclusive game with girls as a child or you will be accused of beating up girls.
Build size is becoming such an issue in NSW that the juniors leagues are changing the way they classify the kids.

Compared to the other rugby code it is much more inclusive! It allows for much more of the main elements if rugby to be played. Features like much more running with the ball , quicker ruck play rules and therefore more tackling engages more players involved in major aspects of the code in a more inclusive way on the field.

Pommy

Coach
Compared to the other rugby code it is much more inclusive! It allows for much more of the main elements if rugby to be played. Features like much more running with the ball , quicker ruck play rules and therefore more tackling engages more players involved in major aspects of the code in a more inclusive way on the field.

Ok well that not how he post read. You are still overselling it if you think league could ever be as big as football though, I wish that wasn’t the case but it’s just a fantasy.

Stallion

First Grade
How do I sell it short? Because?

Its called common sense mate. If you can't work out that rugby league is not getting a fair go in many places around the world and even within Australian institutions you are not paying attention. Granted it is clearly a rebel code however a much improved version of the one it should be replacing . The attachment will hopefully enlighten you with how this treatment of rugby league happens

Attachments

• RL.The plight of South African rugby league.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 0

Stallion

First Grade
Ok well that not how he post read. You are still overselling it if you think league could ever be as big as football though, I wish that wasn’t the case but it’s just a fantasy.

Dissagree. If let alone and allowed to grow without obstacles that it does face, RL would be as far flung as soccer. I'm of greek decent and my father played soccer for Greece in the early 1950s . He has always stated: " You can't beat this rugby league! It's the best!"

Status
Not open for further replies.