What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Marauders Dungeon NRLCEO League Round 20

Big Sam

First Grade
Round 19 Results & Wrapup

Maniac Marauders 59
Rhinos XIII 61
The Maniac Marauders' stuttering defence of their 2010 title finally came to a complete halt with yet another agonising loss, this time to the Rhinos XIII. For the umpteenth time this season Ab's men were run down late on after holding a big lead. Despite impressive efforts from the likes of Matt Duffie, Willie Tonga, and Liam Fulton, the Marauders were severely impacted by the loss of skipper Luke Lewis to injury. For the Rhinos, the comeback victory was based on the playmaking and goalkicking skills of NSW five-eighth Jamie Soward. The win keeps Rhino's side on track for a top 4 finish.

Bondi Beasts 68

Los Bastardos 82
A stellar performance from Bastardos captain Jamie Lyon consigned Bondi to their third consecutive loss. Although there were solid performances throughout the Beasts' team, none of their players really stood out. Brett Morris and Matty Bowen also made significant contributions to Los Bastardos' victory and Coach Johnsy would be ecstatic with this win that now ensures the gap with the 7th placed Lions remains at 4 points with just 3 rounds of the regular season left. Whilst they played relatively well in this game, the Beasts' form over recent weeks would be of great concern to Coach Magic. The team has been faltering of late, clearly missing their chief playmaker Johnathan Thurston. They have done enough to make the play-offs, but hopes of a top 2 position and the added security that comes with it now seem to be fading.

Dribbling Pooches RLFC 78
Bulls 69
In somewhat of a shock result, the Dribbling Pooches had a very solid win over the Minor Premier Bulls. The platform of the victory centred on the creativity and flamboyance of Kiwis Benji Marshall and Feleti Mateo respectively, whilst reformed 'bad-boy' Reni Maitua continued his impressive return to First Grade, bagging another try. Coach Tommo would be disappointed with his side's commitment with only James Maloney and Robbie Farah providing the highlights. Of greater concern to the Bulls mentor would be the fact that just 3 members of the usually barnstorming Bulls pack managed Workhorse tries.

The Spare Bats 66

Lions RLFC 81
The Spare Bats were unable to run down a rampant Lions outfit that skipped out to a big lead early on in this encounter thanks to their Queensland Triumvirate of Lockyer, Parker and Thaiday. A double to Blake Ayshford and some nice lead up play from Kiwi Shaun Kenny-Dowall wasn't enough for Coach Monk's team who have endured a tough season. Whilst pleased with both the win and the return to form of hooker Isaac Luke, Coach Big Sam remained realistic about his side's play-off chances given the Lions have by far the hardest run-home of those teams still in contention.

Orange Alpacas 74
Random Suspects 45
In a major upset, big favourites the Random Suspects were defeated quite comprehensively by the Orange Alpacas. On the back of some slick finishing and from winger Sam Perrett and pocket-rocket Lachlan Coote, the Alpacas proved to be too good. In what has been a mostly depressing season for the Alpacas and Coach Griffo up until now, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Orange now sits only 2 points off the Spare Bats and will be mightily keen to avoid the embarrassment of the wooden spoon which seemed like a given just weeks ago. The defeat will be incredibly frustrating for Suspects Coach Peverse who now has to contend with the loss of NSW Origin hooker Michael Ennis for the rest of the season.

Ladder After Round 19

1. Bulls 32, +346
2. Suspects 25, +115
3. Pooches 24, +45
4. Beasts 23, +229
5. Rhinos 22, -19
6. Bastardos 21, -109
---------------------------
7. Lions 17, -47
8. Marauders 12, -81
9. Spare Bats 8, -209
10. Alpacas 6, -274

Round 20 Preview

Rhinos XIII (5th) vs Lions RLFC (7th)
In the game of the Round, the Rhinos will look to consolidate their position in the Top 6 whilst also killing off the Lions' underwhelming season at the same time. Concern reigns in the Lions' camp over who will start the game at halfback, given both Jeff Robson and Ben Hornby are out injured.

Bondi Beasts (4th) vs Maniac Marauders (8th)
Bondi coach Johns Magic will be hoping that the Marauders will have one eye on their end of season holiday in this one. The Beasts desperately need a win to get some momentum going before the finals begin. Despite now having nothing to play for, the Marauders are a proud club and will not make things easy for JM's men.

Los Bastardos (6th) vs Random Suspects (2nd)
A win here for Los Bastardos, coupled with a Lions' loss will ensure that the competition's Top 6 will be decided with 2 rounds remaining. The Suspects though now sit alone in 2nd place and will not want to relinquish their position after last weekend's shock loss.

Bulls (1st) vs Orange Alpacas (10th)
The last time these two sides met, the Bulls avoided what would have been the upset of the year by the narrowest of margins. In what is effectively a dead rubber - the Bulls have already wrapped up top spot while the Alpacas' finals hopes have been long gone - expect a high-scoring and free-flowing game.

Spare Bats (9th) vs Dribbling Pooches RLFC (3rd)
On a high after beating the Minor Premiers last weekend, the Pooches will look to make it 3 straight wins in this clash with the Spare Bats. Expect Benji Marshall to again lead the way for the Pooches against a home side keen to consign the Alpacas to the dreaded wooden spoon.

The Run Home: Rounds 21 & 22

Bulls - Rhinos (H), Marauders (H).
Suspects - Beasts (H), Lions (A).
Pooches - Lions (H), Beasts (A).

Beasts - Suspects (A), Pooches (H).
Rhinos - Bulls (A), Bats (H).
Bastardos - Marauders (A), Alpacas (H).
Lions - Pooches (A), Suspects (H).

_Johnsy

Referee
Great effort Sammy!!!

Los bastardos squad to take on the random Suspects

1.Bowen - 2.Purtell - 3.Naiqama - 4.Linnett - 5.Morris
6.Lyon (Cpt & Kicker) - 7.Fien
8.Hannant - 9.Friend - 10.Hunt
11.Costigan - 12.Anasta
13.Mannering

14.K Kingston - 15.Proctor - 16.Lui - 17.Tate​

Monk

Referee
Love the writeup, here is the Spare Bats lineup to take on the Pooches.

1. Gerard Beale
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
4. Blake Ayshford
5. Luke Burt (C) (K)
6. Wade Graham
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Michael Weyman
9. Matt Ballin
10. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11. Jeremy Smith
12. Beau Scott
13. Shaun Fensom

14. Aidan Guerra
15. Gavin Cooper
16. Ben Jones
17. Lote Tuqiri

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
LIONS RLFC squad for sudden-death game vs. Rhinos XIII

1. Josh HOFFMAN
2. Jason NIGHTINGALE
3. Jamal IDRIS
4. Jordan ATKINS
5. Joseph LEILUA
6. Darren LOCKYER
7. TBA
8. Sam THAIDAY
9. Isaac LUKE (C)
10. Luke DOUGLAS
11. Corey PARKER (K)
12. Eddy PETTYBOURNE
13. Dallas JOHNSON

14. Ben ROSS
15. Shannan MACPHERSON
16. Dylan FARRELL
17. Chris MCQUEEN
18. Tim LAFAI
19. Beau RYAN
20. Frank-Paul NU'UAUSALA

Franko

Juniors
Pooches

1. Stewart
2. Ferguson
3. Gasnier
4. Pomeroy
5. Merritt

6. Marshall
7. Evans

13. Matuia
12. Harrison
11. Mateo
10. Edwards
9. Tongue
8. Faaoso

14. Thompson
15. Buttriss
16. Morgan
17. Wright

Expect a late inclusion of Russell Packer to replace Buttriss on the bench. Waiting on a trade.

Also backline not 100% finalised.

_Johnsy

Referee
Late change to the Los bastardos squad to take on the random Suspects, Proctor dropped off the bench and replaced by Packer

1.Bowen - 2.Purtell - 3.Naiqama - 4.Linnett - 5.Morris
6.Lyon (Cpt & Kicker) - 7.Fien
8.Hannant - 9.Friend - 10.Hunt
11.Costigan - 12.Anasta
13.Mannering

14.K Kingston - 15.Packer - 16.Lui - 17.Tate​

Big Sam

First Grade
Final and Confirmed LIONS RLFC team for Round 20 match vs. Rhinos XIII

1. Josh HOFFMAN
2. Jason NIGHTINGALE
3. Jamal IDRIS
4. Jordan ATKINS
5. Joseph LEILUA
6. Darren LOCKYER
7. Ray THOMPSON
8. Sam THAIDAY
9. Isaac LUKE (C)
10. Luke DOUGLAS
11. Corey PARKER (K)
12. Eddy PETTYBOURNE
13. Dallas JOHNSON

14. Ben ROSS
15. Frank-Paul NU'UAUSALA
16. Beau RYAN
17. Chris MCQUEEN

Johns Magic

Referee
A couple more injuries last weekend see the Beasts rush in new recruit Adam Blair to the second-row, with Justin O'Neill claiming a spot in the centres. Hopoate comes onto the wing, and Beau Henry fills the previously vacant 7 spot.

Bondi Beasts lineup for their big clash against the Marauders:

1. Billy Slater
2. Will Hopoate
3. Justin O'Neill
4. Steve Matai
5. Akuila Uate
6. Travis Burns (k)
7. Beau Henry
8. Tim Mannah
9. Matt Srama
10. Anthony Laffranchi
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Adam Blair
13. Glenn Stewart (c)

14. Isaac De Gois
15. Justin Horo
16. Gareth Widdop
17. Steve Michaels

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
It doesn't matter anymore as my season is over but it's pretty funny to see my only two starters tonight (Duffie and Anderson) both late exclusions just before kick off.

Pretty funny

Monk

Referee
funny as in want to stab the world in the face for screwing you over funny?

Silly me for thinking that Bulldogs vs Eels would be a high scoring match tonight... Making Luke Burt my captain... silly idea.

_Johnsy

Referee
Results Round 20

Rhinos 52 def Lions 45
Marauders 64 def Beasts 62
Los bastardos 71 drew suspects 71
Bulls 93 def Alpacas 33
Spare bats 51 def Pooches 47

Johns Magic

Referee
Pipped on the bell thanks to a Dugan double and Creagh! Lack of goals is a real concern for me...

Well done ab, you may only be playing for pride at the moment but I've always enjoyed our battles.

abpanther

Staff member
Pipped on the bell thanks to a Dugan double and Creagh! Lack of goals is a real concern for me...

Well done ab, you may only be playing for pride at the moment but I've always enjoyed our battles.

Yeah for sure JM, I always look forward to our encounters.

To be honest I wasn't paying much attention to my game this week, pretty good result in the end given I lost Duffie and Anderson on Friday night.

Tom155

Coach
Very happy with my teams performance with only 15 players & leaving out Blair & Moon who both scored very well

perverse

Referee
i'm just blown away that i'm still holding onto 2nd. these draws/single point victories and losses are going to send me to an early grave, too.

Latest posts