What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matt Gillett appreciation club

johns_reds

First Grade
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ign-matt-gillett/story-e6frep5o-1225882012819

Broncos keen to re-sign Matt Gillett

FORMER labourer Matt Gillett is set to be offered a significantly upgraded and extended contract by the Broncos following a stellar start to his NRL career, which has netted seven tries in 11 games.

Gillett, 21, is expected to play centre for Brisbane against Parramatta at Parramatta Stadium next Saturday night, with Alex Glenn to be sidelined for four to six weeks with a high ankle sprain.

A lock-forward or five-eighth at Brisbane Norths last year, Gillett has been the ideal utility for the Broncos and excelled at centre against South Sydney in round 14, scoring two tries in a 50-22 win.
He played wide in attack in Friday night's 22-12 loss to Penrith but had few chances to shine.

A Bribie Island junior, Gillett is on a lower-tier, two-year deal at the Broncos but such has been his impact that his exceptional skills and intuitive reading of the game have not gone unnoticed by Queensland coach Mal Meninga, who has earmarked him as a future Origin representative.

Broncos officials were tight-lipped yesterday about the progress of negotiations but the club's manager of football operations, Andrew Gee, confirmed talks were under way with Gillett's manager.
"We certainly want him to stay long term," Gee said.
Broncos coach Ivan Henjak said he couldn't be happier with Gillett's efforts.
"There are some real positives in the way we have been using him off the bench," Henjak said. "He's going to be an 80-minute player, I have no doubt about that. But he has only played 11 games at this level and I don't want to kill him either."
Besides Gillett and Ben Te'o, the other centre option for Brisbane is Dale Copley, who has scored 14 tries in under-20s this year, but it is likely the 18-year-old will be given more time in the youth competition.
Centre/fullback Gerard Beale, another member of the Broncos top squad, is two weeks away from a return from medial ligament damage.
"Alex Glenn was going really well, but we have cover there," Henjak said.
The Broncos-Parramatta match throws up the intriguing prospect of an Israel Folau-Timana Tahu clash.
Parramatta star Tahu ruled himself out of Origin II when he walked out of the NSW camp in protest at assistant coach Andrew Johns's alleged racial vilification of Aboriginal and Islander players in the Queensland team, including Folau.
The NSWRL, through the ARL, is still trying to have Folau banned from Origin III following his signing with the new western Sydney AFL franchise.
The NSWRL sees Folau's selection as a promotional tool for the AFL.
Parramatta arguably has the most fanatical supporters in the league, and they are sure to give Folau a hard time.

Dazzat

First Grade
Hope Henjak doesn't play Gillett in the centres again. Teo's a better proposition ... bit faster off the mark than Gillett.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Fantastic news that we are trying to resign him. Looks like a very talented prospect in a squad that is teaming with extremely talented prospects.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Fantastic news is we have re-signed him for three further years ! We're cooking with gas !!!!!!!! NOW LET'S GET GI TO PUT PEN TO PAPER, than we're talking premierships again.

Timmah6991

Juniors
Fantastic news is we have re-signed him for three further years ! We're cooking with gas !!!!!!!! NOW LET'S GET GI TO PUT PEN TO PAPER, than we're talking premierships again.

I doubt he'll come with all the media reports confirming his stance on not playing against Melbourne. Wishful thinking but.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
whos in front of him at the moment

1Locky
2Parker
3Thaiday
4Hodges

can't think of anyone else after those guys that would be in line to lead the team. Possibly Kenny. But i think the future captain of the Broncos is thaiday then gillet.

johnnyg

Juniors

1Locky
2Parker
3Thaiday
4Hodges

can't think of anyone else after those guys that would be in line to lead the team. Possibly Kenny. But i think the future captain of the Broncos is thaiday then gillet.

LOL @ Hodges, as senior as he will be, he definitely does not have the temperament to be a captain. Totally agree with the first 3 though.

Lycon79

Juniors

1Locky
2Parker
3Thaiday
4Hodges

What about...
5.Wallace
6. McCullough
I thought they would be on that list aswell. Alex Glenn was U20 Captain in 2008 also.

As good a player Gillet is he does not show any leadership qualities from what I've seen so far, on the field and in interviews. But who knows?

screeder

Juniors
The bloke has only just played his first game in first grade and is already talked about for origin. Leadership qualities? F*ck for all we know he's the next Wally Lewis. Lets just resign him and let him play footy.

Dazzat

First Grade
Watching the Footy Show today ... the all NSW panel attempted to talk about Matt Gillett and showed just a few moves he put on in the Parra game. Some of his offloads were sublime.

They started talking about him as a prospect for the future.

What I loved was the ... stunned silence ....

If he was a NSW player there would have been two minutes of ranting ... instead it was yeah ... good player ... another Queenslander ...

Love it!

soopagrova

Juniors
I really like this guy, not only has he got various skills, but he has mongrel in him. Need a splash of mongrel to excel imo, thats where Jane Carlaw fell short, lots of potential, but no mongrel.

Anyways, I am curious about how Gillett's name is pronounced.

There is no 'e' after the t, as normally spelt, when pronounced the way the commentators currently are.

Is it definitely pronounced "jill-ette" ? or should it be "jillet"

If its correctly pronounced "jill-ette" my signature will do fine, if not, i guess i will have to change it to "Gillett-tastier than a fish fillet"

Just to end my initial post on this great forum, I would like to state that I much prefer him in the back row and am looking forward to see this kid prosper in the NRL

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
no doubt his best position is the back row. Imagine Gillet being in the center of the park with Hoffman trailing up the middle and bursting through a gap off the back of Gillet offloading. When does Hodges return? does anyone no for sure?

soopagrova

Juniors
Last i heard, hodges was due for a round 20 return, but his injury was supposedly coming along great guns and might even be back by round 18.

Been over a month since i heard that from a mate, which i think he read in the newspaper or seen on tv, so please don't take it as gospel lol

AuDragon

Juniors
If I was a betting man, I'd say Hodges will come back after the bye at Skilled Park against the Titans...

To keep within topic, I also agree Gillett's best position is in the second row for the reasons already mentioned.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Will hodges have had any time in QLD cup to get his fitness up or will he come straight back in? It would be suicide to chuck him straight back into the NRL IMO.

But enough about Hodges. I don't think there is much more you can say about Gillett that hasn't already been said.

screeder

Juniors
I've seen Hodges come back from injury many times and they don't waste time risking him in Q cup. He's straight into first grade and he's one of the only players i've ever seen who dead set hits his straps immediately. He's a freak in this regard.

Latest posts