What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matt Renshaw Appreciation Thread

some11

Referee
This is what happens when you treat a young player with disdain.

See the late Phil Hughes for another example.
The shit he copped from morons like Warne about his strike rate in a period where everyone was knicking off having faced only 20-30 balls was ridiculous.

Bazal

Post Whore
You can't really blame the selectors for him not being able to get any runs in the Sheffield Shield

I think that's a pretty big oversimplification of my intended point though.

I'm not saying he's not scoring runs because of the selectors, I'm saying that he's been treated appallingly and for young players that can lead to poor form when they try and change their game... Because the perception is they aren't good enough so something needs to change. Often they can throw their whole game off searching for something that doesn't need to happen.

bazza

Immortal
I remember Matt Hayden being considered 'not good enough' at one stage
He simply kept scoring lots of runs in the shield till it was impossible not to select him
If Renshaw has faith in his ability and he can just go out and get runs

King hit

Coach
He simply kept scoring lots of runs in the shield till it was impossible not to select him
Well Hayden was up against so many gun batsmen at the time.

Eelectrica

Referee
Hope he can re-discover his for soon.
Warner doesn't have too many years left.
Bancroft doesn't seem to be the answer.
Burns doesn't seem to be a permanent fixture.
Marcus Harris doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.
Daniel Hughes seems to have missed his chance.

Gonna need someone to stand up and start claiming their spot.

Bazal

Post Whore

Yeah. And there's zero difference between a loud mouthed arrogant dickbag like Haydos and a bloke nicknamed Turtle because he refused to come out of his shell, confidence and personality wise.

Players react differently. If you treat them like shit, it's going to affect some of them. And I think it's pretty clearly affected Renshaw, as it did Hughes. It's one of the factors though, not the only one

Eelementary

Post Whore
This is what happens when you treat a young player with disdain.

See the late Phil Hughes for another example.

Yeah, it saddens me.

I'm a huge Matthew Renshaw fan - I love his tenacity, and how hard he fights to keep his wicket.

I am worried that he is mentally shot.

Eelectrica

Referee
Not sure how much the upcoming BBL is going to help him, but he did have one or two decent innings last season so maybe a couple of good innings will get him right back into it.

typicalfan

Coach
Players who have scored more than one hundred in the shield this season

SMarsh
Doolan
Green
Carey
Smith

Not exactly a huge amount of people knocking the door down. Renshaw has the time to get back into it but he will probably need to reinvent himself a little bit.

Eelectrica

Referee
Yeah, his form in the shield hasn't been as great as it could have been and I guess he isn't hitting them that well in the nets right now. Maybe a couple more weeks off will help.
Has form in BBL was ok, so he's still a talent and can put an innings together when he wants too.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Nah mate you can't suggest that his treatment by the Aussie set up has any impact on his form or mentality. People get snarky.
Well they are wrong, heaps of young cricketers have been treated shabbily by the selectors, management or in this case a former player who is now coach.

Damien Martyn is a perfect example.

Took him 5 years to get back into the he Australian set up.