What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NBA thread

weasel

First Grade
With the tip-off only days away I thought I'd make a thread for all discussion relating to the new NBA season.

The big news story at the moment is Kobe's trial. I'm not sure if it will affect his availabilty to play for the Lakers and how much of a destabilizing influence this may be on the new superclub they've built there.

The other interesting story at the moment is Antoine Walker's move to the Mavericks. They've now got a heap of offensive talent in the roster: Nowitzki, Nash, Finley, Jamison and now Walker although trading away Raef Lafrentz was an odd move. I don't know how they plan to fill that position now, Shawn Bradley isn't someone I would want to put all my faith in. It'll also be interesting to see how they will utilize players like Tony Delk and Danny Fortson. They seemed to have added to their roster enough to try and challenge the Lakers but doubts must remain on how quickly this team can become a cohesive unit.

Anyway my predictions for the season:

Western Conference:
1. Lakers
2. Mavericks
3. Kings
4. Spurs
5. Suns
6. Wolves
7. Rockets
8. Blazers

Eastern Conference:
1. Nets
2. Pistons
3. Magic
4. Hornets
5. Pacers
6. Sixers
7. Celtics
8. Raptors

Champs: Lakers

MVP: Jason Kidd.

I'm not sure that a single thread can do justice to all the NBA topics.

I read that Dallas is likely to make another trade to get a center. Right now they have no one who could bang with the big low post players like Shaq and Duncan. Not that anyone can stop those 2, but you need someone to slow them down a bit. I also think the Mavs have too many power forwards in Nowitzki, newly acquired Antawn Jamieson, and now Walker. They're all very good (esp Dirk) but it may be tough to get them all playing time.

weasel

First Grade
Yep I realise that but unfortunately there's no board for basketball anymore. Because it's lumped in with so many other sports I think having a single thread is the easiest way for anyone interested in discussing it to find where to post, instead of having topics getting lost in a sea of car racing and hockey and other threads.

Mavs:
I wonder which centers they are looking at. They've got plenty of good tradebait on their roster now so they could probably pick up a high quality player if they play it right.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
CanadianSteve said:

Couldn't agree more, like most sports especially from the US they become very quiet during the off-season..

I really think we need to get a NBA or just a basketball forum setup with in league unlimited ready for when the NBA kicks off ;-)

Mighty Tiger said:
CanadianSteve said:

Couldn't agree more, like most sports especially from the US they become very quiet during the off-season..

I really think we need to get a NBA or just a basketball forum setup with in league unlimited ready for when the NBA kicks off ;-)

There was a separate basketball section a few months ago, with yours truly as moderator, but someone in authority here saw fit to condense a bunch of sections, including lumping basketball into Other Sports. Maybe if enough posts start up when the NBA season does, a separate section could be reconsidered.

On Antoine Walker, it's probably good for him to get away from the Nets, as Kenyon Martin absolutely destroyed him in matchups last year in regular season and playoffs. On the other hand, there a lot of very tough forwards in the West that he'll have to play against now.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Very true, well maybe common sense will prevail and we will get an NBA section up and running with in the next few weeks ;-)

El Coconuto

Bench
Are there any NCAA fans in here? Basketball is my love, but I am more inclined to support the NCAA Competition than the NBA. Call me crazy, but I just love the adrenalin rush everytime I watch the young blokes play.

On a professional level though, I'm really worried about my team (Orlando Magic). If Tracy McGrady isn't healthy, than neither are our play-off hopes, amongst other things.

Ahhh wells, bring on the new season!

thewizard1o1

Juniors
When i get a home from uni NCAA is very much on the agenda, thank god for espn on pay-tv :) and go UCONN!!!!!!!!8)

As for the NBA, After a few years of torment finally the Nuggets look to be heading in the right direction, can't wait to get to see Miller, Melo, Nene and Co Run-and-Gun.

Even if T-Mac has injury problem this season i think Orlando now has enough firepower to pick up the slack. Gooden should develop into a Elton Brand type player over the next few seasons and Giricek is all class.

One more sleep till the tip-off.

weasel

First Grade
Yeah I'm interested in seeing how Carmelo Anthony goes at Denver, he's in the shadow of LeBron and Darko but hey less pressure is a plus. Could be rookie of the year.

thewizard1o1

Juniors
The year that Melo spent in College should give him some advantage over both Darko and LBJ. Should be an interesting race thou.

El Coconuto

Bench
Oh Lebron vs Melo will be the matchup of the year in my books. It would far succeed any T-Mac/Kobe or Shaq/Duncan matchup at any stage in the season.

Both Lebron and Carmelo will be superstars in their respective sides, but in terms of Rookie of the Year, the award will go to Carmelo Anthony.

Lebron will be a better player in the long-run, but for now the vote goes to Carmelo Anthony (a personal favourite of mine behind T-Mac)!

weasel

First Grade
Probably, those two have bickered in the past. Hasn't stopped them from winning championships though.

weasel said:
Probably, those two have bickered in the past. Hasn't stopped them from winning championships though.

True, but if you read the Washington Post column in the InsideHoops lnk above, the writer says this:

I know what you're thinking, that Kobe and Shaq have argued and fussed publicly before, and Jackson comes in and works his magic and the two biggest stars in the game kiss and make up and the Lakers keep winning.

But this is so much more confrontational, so intensely personal. So much for basketball being Bryant's sanctuary from his personal hell, the place he can get away from his legal troubles while literally fighting for his life.

For the last three seasons the two have sparred at times and occasionally it gets edgy, but nothing like this where you wonder how they can even be in each other's presence without coming to blows. Suddenly, the locker room may not be big enough for the two of them.

One reason Kobe has been flirting with free agency is that he wonders if he can go elsewhere and win a title without Shaq. And likewise, Shaq would like nothing more than to win a championship this season without Kobe.

Here is the entire article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A26525-2003Oct27?language=printer

When you read this it really does sound like Kobe and Shaq have split further apart than ever before. This conflict, along with the unprecedented troubles the team is going to have in coping with Kobe's legal problems during the season, make it hard to see how they can play up to their potential this year.

weasel

First Grade
That's an interesting article. Kobe's pretty much achieved everything at the Lakers already short of winning MVP, and he's unlikely to get that in Shaq's shadow. No matter how much of a star he is it'll always be Shaq getting the kudos for their achievements. Going to another team and making it his own, and perhaps winning a championship with them would probably be more rewarding to him than the triumphs he's already had. Going to Memphis would be a huge move :shock: . They'd be a pretty solid team with Kobe added to the line-up.

That logos page doesn't have the new Rockets logo, I reckon it looks great.
rockets_chinesebox_logo.gif

thewizard1o1

Juniors
from the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep28oct28,0,1811971.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

So, does he go?

Not long ago, according to witnesses, one of Kobe Bryant's representatives was overheard telling Clipper Coach Mike Dunleavy, "Save that cap space."

It would allow Bryant to escape Shaquille O'Neal and remain in Los Angeles. It would allow Bryant freedom on offense. It would allow the Clippers, who could be $8-$10 million under the salary cap next season, their very own superstar.

The Clippers wouldn't be alone. Assured that Bryant will opt out of his contract with designs on leaving the Lakers, and assuming Bryant was not convicted on the felony sexual assault charge, general managers league-wide would happily bail salaries for a shot at him.

I doubted that any free agent would want to go to the clippers.....but this may suit him allowing him to stay in LA. Memphis also has the inside running because of Jerry West, who Kobe was very close with.

Lakers 34 - Mavericks 28 as I write this. Kobe's not playing. Both teams look a little disorganized as they try to fit a lot of new players in.

weasel

First Grade
Some interesting games on the second day of the season. Most notable were-

-Vinsanity destroying the Nets (had to mention that first)

-Denver's shock win over the Spurs- I think I've underestimated the nuggets, forgot they picked up Andre Miller and Nene Hilario is a pretty classy player. Carmello had a good debut too.

-LeBron's awesome debut- 25 points, nine assists, 6 rebounds. He may still live up the hype. Kings still won though. 8)

Also suprising to see the Bulls play so bad against the Wizards.

thewizard1o1

Juniors
Wow, just found out that 'shard Lewis put 50 on the Clippers in Japan. With Allan missing the first part of the season this could be Lewis's big season. On a similar note, how bad are the Clippers without Brand filling up the lane....Lewis had no trouble getting to the hole at all tonight.

Cavs need to get rid of Miles.....New York maybe :roll: , does anyone know when Wags is due back? Because a starting line up of Z-Boozer-Davis-Wags-Bron will be huge in a years time.

Francis is the BIGGEST ball hog in the NBA, the other night against (my) Nuggs all the Rockets need to do was get the ball to Yao every second or third down the floor any they would have won by 40-50. instead he went 6-8 from the field in 20 minutes( had most of his points in the first quater)...

And lastly Vin Baker looks to be back to some part of his old All-Star form....good to see, its good to see that not all his talent went to waste...