What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Owners

Lovemedragons

Juniors
But what good has all this money done for some clubs, eg. Us and West Tigers?
Money is one thing, foresight and football smarts is another. Comes from the top, repeatedly making the wrong calls, no mid/long term vision, no winning culture, no appeal to attract talent. The Roosters maybe chooks but they sure ain't headless chooks.

Our board and management are clueless, lets face it, or they don't care.

TheRev

First Grade
West Tigers signed their marquees years ago.. while we were spinning our wheels under Griffin. If you remember the first one Papalii was hoping to backflip at the time.. but he stayed, and then Api and several other bigger name players signed.. then they were away...

West Tigers are in a good position roster wise... young talent coming up.. and good talent coming from external... but the risk remaining is if Benji fails as a coach.. we can only hope that he is a flop...

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
he has lived in sydney since covid
i think he only stayed in Sydney during covid, but has gone back..

Dragon David

First Grade
Wow they describe Gordon as a passionate fanatic, has anyone ever seen him at our games !!
I think that as a younger man he was more interested in the Steelers but to answer your question justa, I don't think anyone has seen this "passionate fanatic" anywhere near the clubs.

That Smith guy who offered more to be a part owner of the Dragons would have been more involved with everything at the club but because of this that would have affected the other older Board members relaxed and non-plussed attitudes towards how we perform.

Opportunities gone begging and will not be available for a very long time until several of the guys in the head office retire.

The Word

Juniors
The main takeout for me in this story is that although we have a wealthy half owner, and a wealthy shirt sponsor, neither of these gentlemen actually put any money into the club over and above the agreed new shirt sponsorship, unless I'm mistaken?

Importantly, they are not benefactors, they do not put personal money in. Forrest has no connection with the club other than that he is trying to sell energy to the region and no interest in rugby league. The Gordon's are not putting any money in at all as far as I can tell. Therefore having rich people connected to our club is completely irrelevant as for as we're concerned.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the reason the joint venture does not work is because of the stupid joint ownership model. It hamstrings us because neither owner is willing to invest in the football club while they are only 50% owners. It has nothing to do with the fact that we cover 2 regions. That, in fact, should be a bonus.

The only long term solution is to have a single owner, who has money, and cares about the club. However I can't see this happening whilst pompous, self-serving, self-interested people maintain their ownership strangle-hold of our club simply so they can be connected to this historic, high profile institution.

justadragon

Bench
The main takeout for me in this story is that although we have a wealthy half owner, and a wealthy shirt sponsor, neither of these gentlemen actually put any money into the club over and above the agreed new shirt sponsorship, unless I'm mistaken?

Importantly, they are not benefactors, they do not put personal money in. Forrest has no connection with the club other than that he is trying to sell energy to the region and no interest in rugby league. The Gordon's are not putting any money in at all as far as I can tell. Therefore having rich people connected to our club is completely irrelevant as for as we're concerned.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the reason the joint venture does not work is because of the stupid joint ownership model. It hamstrings us because neither owner is willing to invest in the football club while they are only 50% owners. It has nothing to do with the fact that we cover 2 regions. That, in fact, should be a bonus.

The only long term solution is to have a single owner, who has money, and cares about the club. However I can't see this happening whilst pompous, self-serving, self-interested people maintain their ownership strangle-hold of our club simply so they can be connected to this historic, high profile institution.
Totally agree, it would also be beneficial to have BOD voted in by members, I think the St George side can do it but not the Illawarra, they are set in stone and untouchable.

Dragon David

First Grade

Totally agree, it would also be beneficial to have BOD voted in by members, I think the St George side can do it but not the Illawarra, they are set in stone and untouchable.
It is a long playing broken record The Word and justa. We are hamstrung that is for sure.