What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Real Issue

the kirwan kid

Juniors
I have no problem with a player wanting to do the best for themselves, or a manager for their clinet, but there's right and wrong ways to go about it. By grabbing the cash whilst its on offer, reneging on a contract and sneaking out in the still of night Sonny Bill has raised a red flag in front of any potentail futre employers. Would you offer an injury prone 21 year old with a history of drams etc a contract for ridiclous amounts of money when you know he has no regard for a contract in the first place.

I work in music management - not telling you bastards who for BTW! LOL - and we sign contracts all the time. Sometimes we get offered more money or a better deal after the fact but that's just the way it goes ...
For example if we were contracted to do a gig at $10K then get get offered another gig the same date for $15K you can't ethically cancel the first to take the second. By me not cancelling the first gig does that mean I'm not doing the right thing by my act or am I representing him ethically and professionally by sticking with our original commitment.

Now if I canned the first one and took the better offer I'm pretty sure I would lose that client for good ... so for the sake of $5k I lose a couple of hundred grand over the next 10 years.

Sonny bill may be making an extra $1 million a year for the next 2 years but unless something amazing happens he'll find his future earning capacity and the avenues to earn income diminished greatly beacus eof this situation.

Seemed like a nice kid but whoever has been in his ear has given him so bad advice. Not only has he not informed his employers he's also let down his club team-mates and the NZ team for the world cup.