What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the reds need a team in local comp

Smithtown

Coach
Wake up on the wrong of the bed black and gold?

You asked for a few ideas, there they are - stoopid ones and all. Certainly not a patch on your master plan Junior Reds team, granted.

You're good for a laugh anyway black & gold - and you've packed a fair bit into your 10 or so posts. I vote for you to be coach, your vision is outstanding in both recruitment and strategic planning.

PS. Graham Rogers is on chickenfeed (everyone is on chickenfeed at Chester Hill - they spend less than the Reds), not sure about the other coaches.
PPS. Very familiar with some NSW Group footy and Sydney suburban footy - would like to hear your opinions on Group 2 players and who the Reds should be targeting from there as an example. Apart from Inglis, who were the last dozen young players from Group 2 to crack the NRL?
PPS. You've got me on Victorian footy - never seen it and your week on the piss has you at a distinct advantage here. But I dare say it has little relationship whatsoever on a Western Sydney comp, except in the black & gold world.

Last edited:

black and gold

Juniors
Wake up on the wrong of the bed black and gold?

You asked for a few ideas, there they are - stoopid ones and all. Certainly not a patch on your master plan Junior Reds team, granted.

You're good for a laugh anyway black & gold - and you've packed a fair bit into your 10 or so posts. I vote for you to be coach, your vision is outstanding in both recruitment and strategic planning.

PS. Graham Rogers is on chickenfeed (everyone is on chickenfeed at Chester Hill - they spend less than the Reds), not sure about the other coaches.
PPS. Very familiar with some NSW Group footy and Sydney suburban footy - would like to hear your opinions on Group 2 players and who the Reds should be targeting from there as an example. Apart from Inglis, who were the last dozen young players from Group 2 to crack the NRL?
PPS. You've got me on Victorian footy - never seen it and your week on the piss has you at a distinct advantage here. But I dare say it has little relationship whatsoever on a Western Sydney comp, except in the black & gold world.
ou have no positive outlook, its all about having a go at me on the piss for you. well we did have a great week on the piss after we put hours in for the state side while you were sitting on your fat arse on you computer. everything you have said seems to be very negative and im glad you dont have any say in the running in the day to day process of the warl because we would be in the sh*t. p.s did you go to the game last night- probaly not

WA Power

Juniors
Smithtown geat comments mate, well done;;

The WARL are a Joke and have been for a while a real disconnect from the local comp and last night was a positive step forward the REDS first 20 minutes were the worst footy I have seen for a while. To my suprise they actually played ok from that point on but you must now wonder when will they ever win. As I have said in previous posts they need a clean out starting with the coaching staff, Dever was second choice and in fact was told he would not be coaching in 2009 and offered another role within the club when they were unable to get a quality coach to move to Perth Dever got the job. Grant Bell is on the payroll to advise / mentor coach Dever but it does not appear to be working.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
lets face it willagee dosent want to be playing 1st grade

That's not for you to suggest.

Approximately a year ago now, an "anonymous" person within the ranks of Willagee wrote a scathing report on their own club, and the politics within it self-destructing their onfield and off-field progress. At that stage it could be seen that their current scenario would then evolve into what it is today - a struggling club.

Regardless of the particular contents of this report - it clearly demonstrates that:-

• They're passionate about rugby league in their district
  • There is interest and desire to improve their clubs position
  • They're seemingly reaching out for help from the WARL for greater support (suggested by the content of the obsolete report)
What they need - in my opinion - is a new club culture. One which promotes effort, integrity and teamwork. From comments around the place it can be seen they're a struggling side, low in morale, and low in vigor - clearly on the back of frequent heavy losses.

However, your suggestion that they don't deserve to field a team, or have a club, based on their current performance is unwarranted. You're obviously aligned with South Perth - and you're clearly entitled to an opinion - though I'm sure you'd hope your own club would be provided the same latitude, and respect, if they found themselves in a similar situation to Willagee now.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Rather than focusing on having a REDS team in the local comp. there are a lot more important issues that need to be addressed and in no particular order.
1 Coaching - The REDS need a clean out of the whole coaching staff ASAP, the current coach was told at the end of 2008 he would not be coaching in 2008 and was offering another role within the club. When they were unable to get a coach to move to Perth Dever was giving the job. So in fact he was second choice.

2 WARL - Has lost touch with the local comp and they now need to really put some time and effort into turning this around. It at times appears as if the Blind are leading the Blind while the WARL will say numbers are on the rise and the local comp is the best it has ever been in WA. There is a real disconnect between the REDS and the Local Clubs

I very much agree.

While the first point has previously been discussed - the later point (regarding disconnect between the Reds and Local Clubs) is a very valid point.

I admit, I don't have a clear understanding of the development of Rugby League in WA - on the basis that I don't know how the WARL are promoting the game (in schools, clinics, and so forth) - however the improvement in participation rates - in my opinion - are largely attributable to individual clubs marketing themselves well (directly with promotion, and indirectly with strong community involvement); as well as an increased excitement about a possible NRL team in Perth generating improved 'hype' around the code, and subsequent involvement.

From an outside point of view - it does appear that there is a lack of cohesion between the WARL and it's subsidiaries; and the WA Reds and local clubs.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
i think smithtown should bring some of his brilliant ideas to the table.

I don't know who you are. You could be some influential person within the WARL, or an outspoken person within South Perth.

Regardless of this - if you are in a position whereby you have a level of influence on WARL matters - you should behave more appropriately, and be more encouraging towards input from the constituents that support and supply the WARL.

It is nonsensical for you to be condescending towards others. I understand you are defensive of an idea you thought would be "of benefit" - though any idea put forward to improve the WARL, and WA Reds, needs to be scrutinised before it can ever be utilised - I'm sure you will agree.

The fact of the matter is - the people within the WARL have the same common interest we all do - the success of Rugby League in WA; rather than becoming quite aggressive in retaliation to criticism - try to embrace it and see whether there is any validity or merit on the comments made. Be constructive.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hey everyone can we please be civil on this board! RL in WA needs all its fans together, not sniding at each other. Lets have open discussion without the need for petty bickering, stick to the NRL forum for that!

Smithtown

Coach
The idea of a U20's Reds is in itself not a bad one, but importantly there are other things to tweak first. I definitely am not going to bag either the WARL or Coach Dever because they are doing their best, which is all you can ask of anyone - including Willagee.

In response to the suggested recruitment, I thought 2 key position players with heavy experience in this comp was almost a must. McMenemy on paper was a great acquisition - just didn't work out for other reasons - and recruiting a player or two from western Sydney should almost be mandatory. Similarly, if the Reds were in the Qld Cup then Brisbane, Mackay players for example would be key targets. Sort of makes sense to me, rather than taking punts on untried NZ players.

Same theory applies to the coach - not that I'm calling for sackings of existing staff. Just a bloke who's been around the Sydney scene could be wheeled in - even on a consultancy basis.

Last edited:

Latest posts