What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gareth67

First Grade
Don't know how much to attach to this Gaz but a caller rang Talkin Sport (2SM) today (Mon 30/10) claiming to be a well connected Dragons tragic. Said that there will be four new signings announced on or soon after 1 November- hopefully he meant this year!

As the old saying goes-time will tell.
Most pleasing to hear , more so should they be quality players .

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I really feel that each position should be filled by experts for those positions - those who have been there and done it and done it well. We have no room to test guys in positions where they 'might' be alright

What have we got to lose? We finished one spot from the bottom, our first choice 5/8 might be in prison, our second choice 5/8 left to join the Tigers, and Kyle Flanagan (our big new buy so far) plays mostly halfback or hooker. You can't count on picking up someone tried and tested like a Luai or a Dearden, because we rarely ever do. Which leaves us as of now with Jack Bird or Paul Turner as the 5/8 options. I've seen both of them play and they're just not that good so why not let Zac have a go? There's a long time to the start of next season, Flanno will work out by then if he's a viable option or not.

saintmar

Juniors
Yep, that entire sad story is spot on. Countless not so well known stories back it up. Doust, Young & the rest of the Board all know it but are too busy keeping their noses in the trough. Complete Board clean-out required but will never happen.
Doust didn't get rid of Sullivan

Dragon David

First Grade
What have we got to lose? We finished one spot from the bottom, our first choice 5/8 might be in prison, our second choice 5/8 left to join the Tigers, and Kyle Flanagan (our big new buy so far) plays mostly halfback or hooker. You can't count on picking up someone tried and tested like a Luai or a Dearden, because we rarely ever do. Which leaves us as of now with Jack Bird or Paul Turner as the 5/8 options. I've seen both of them play and they're just not that good so why not let Zac have a go? There's a long time to the start of next season, Flanno will work out by then if he's a viable option or not.
Nothing to lose Johnno especially if we cannot get a "proper/decent" 5/8th to replace Amone and Sullivan. Who knows, he might be the answer but I doubt it.

Overseadragon

Juniors
Who says he doesn't have a kicking game? He hasn't had to do that as a centre, but it doesn't mean he can't. I like this idea, I reckon he'd go OK.dragons v donkeys that brilliant game Lomax last try puts in a nice kick downfield Dufty jumps on it so he does have it in him he just doesn't use it as a centre ........

possm

Coach
I really feel that each position should be filled by experts for those positions - those who have been there and done it and done it well. We have no room to test guys in positions where they 'might' be alright.
The trouble is that some players in non-spine positions are being paid overs and so the cap balance within the team is out of wack, Lomax at 800k is spine position money, and De Belin at 750k is similar. I think all the speculation about Lomax playing fullback or five-eighth is just speculation. However, it does make sense for a player being paid a spine salary to play in a spine position.

It is great that we have gotten rid of some of the dead wood and let's hope the remainder will move on soon enough.

The questions about Kyle Flannagan are valid and it remains to be seen whether he will play 6, 7, 9, or 14. He seems to me to be the replacement for Mbye, and with Amone not available, will we be looking for a new 6, or will it be a Hunt/Flannagan halves partnership?

Our front row is where we need an upgrade and because of this, I was hoping both Hunt and Bird would move on to allow us to put some fresh blood in the forwards, but that seems not the case.

Coach Flannagan says that there will be 3 signings before Christmas and then he will keep two positions open in our top 30 to take advantage of players that might become available in early 2024.

Parko1310

Juniors
Jack welsby.. make it happen Flanno we need a quality fullback asap. Looks good in red and white
For us to sign him, WIN would likely have to put their hand in their pocket for a transfer fee unless we wait for a while. I can't see that happening, especially considering when Hook wanted Croft we refused to pay any transfer fee. Lots of water to go under the bridge anyway I imagine before a decision is made whether or not we need Welsby. Sloan may turn out to be what we'd hoped. It remains to be seen.

The story is also from the Mole, and one would guess there's a bit of BS involved. Not only because it's the Mole, but because he's cited the Tigers as interested. They're not going to block the pathway of Bula to sign Welsby. They just signed Sullivan and Latu Fainu to longer term deals and will surely want to develop those two in the halves, plus they've gotten Sezer at least for next year. It doesn't make sense for them to sign Welsby. The story is likely stretching the truth a bit. We are being linked to anyone and everyone right now, along with the Tigers, so a lot of it I'd take with a grain of salt.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am so looking forward to 2024 and hope we see huge improvements. We must take into consideration that the guys like Lomax, Feagai, Sloans etc had coaches in the calibre of Mary and Hook. What hope did they have to play there best footy. In saying that under Mary, Lomax nearly cracked Origin but then declined dramatically under Hook the last 2 season. Flanno will bring out the best in them and they will be like marquee signings in 2024. I am hoping Saints have a Warriors type season. Not many signings pre season just their squad playing to their potential with a proper game plan.

If De Belin is on 750k, some of that will be discounted due to the fact he is a local junior and don't the club get some concessions for 10+ years at the 1 club like 200k? If so Saints will only show 550k for JDB. Hopefully Lomax will get to that stage as well where some of his salary will not be included in the cap. Blake Lawrie would be another to fall under that where some of his salary is not in the cap because of the 10+ year loyalty.

Parko1310

Juniors
Heard on SEN that Heilum Luki is off contract come tomorrow, it doesn't show on zero tackle because he has a player option for 2025, but he's yet to take that up. Cowboys have a surplus of back rowers on big contracts too, so surely Flanno makes a play for Luki or the young Finefeuiaki. Both would be great signings. I'd imagine the Cowboys will be trying to shed Leilua rather than one of these two, but I'd be going for them rather than Luciano for sure

RedVee_8

Juniors
I am so looking forward to 2024 and hope we see huge improvements. We must take into consideration that the guys like Lomax, Feagai, Sloans etc had coaches in the calibre of Mary and Hook. What hope did they have to play there best footy. In saying that under Mary, Lomax nearly cracked Origin but then declined dramatically under Hook the last 2 season. Flanno will bring out the best in them and they will be like marquee signings in 2024. I am hoping Saints have a Warriors type season. Not many signings pre season just their squad playing to their potential with a proper game plan.

If De Belin is on 750k, some of that will be discounted due to the fact he is a local junior and don't the club get some concessions for 10+ years at the 1 club like 200k? If so Saints will only show 550k for JDB. Hopefully Lomax will get to that stage as well where some of his salary will not be included in the cap. Blake Lawrie would be another to fall under that where some of his salary is not in the cap because of the 10+ year loyalty.
There is (or was) a rule that discount could only be applied across two players.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Luki would be a great buy for the club. He has had some injuries though but is quite young. Hopefully Dean Young got in his ear and asked him to follow him back to Kogarah/Gong.

I am surprised the Cowboys have not signed him up.

kit66

Bench
Don't know how much to attach to this Gaz but a caller rang Talkin Sport (2SM) today (Mon 30/10) claiming to be a well connected Dragons tragic. Said that there will be four new signings announced on or soon after 1 November- hopefully he meant this year!

As the old saying goes-time will tell.

I'm pretty sure I read a carbon copy of this post exactly one year ago. I don't recall how many signings eventuated back then, if any. We'll see. I won't hold my breath.

Jordan McClean just extended with the Cows for a year. Surely we could have offered him 2 years on reasonable coin, a great leader and a better defender than any Dragons player in the past 10 years. What's Young junior doing missing an opportunity like that. Not earning his money that's for sure.

Biglance

Bench
Heard on SEN that Heilum Luki is off contract come tomorrow, it doesn't show on zero tackle because he has a player option for 2025, but he's yet to take that up. Cowboys have a surplus of back rowers on big contracts too, so surely Flanno makes a play for Luki or the young Finefeuiaki. Both would be great signings. I'd imagine the Cowboys will be trying to shed Leilua rather than one of these two, but I'd be going for them rather than Luciano for sure
I actually think this is the reason we are acting like we are going for dearden, drive his price up for the Cowboys so they can't afford their backrowers

Parko1310

Juniors
I actually think this is the reason we are acting like we are going for dearden, drive his price up for the Cowboys so they can't afford their backrowers
Both would be nice. They can't keep them all though even if Dearden goes. They've got Leilua, Nanai, Luki and Finefeuiaki all on the books. 4 can't go into 2, and it's almost certain they let 1 or 2 go regardless of whether Dearden leaves or not. They can't pay what other clubs are going to pay those back rowers to then have them sit on the bench or in reserve grade. Ideally, Dearden plus Luki/Finefeuaki for me. Then, if Su'a is leaving, hopefully one of R. Couchman or Dylan Egan is ready for that other edge spot that needs filling by 2025. We're very light in the second row currently.

Illusion

Bench
OK ....................................................................... Drum Roll ................................................... Big Signings .............................. on or after the 1st ............................................... And the signings are ............................................................... Excite me please it's been a decade since I have had a rush from the team and signings .................................