What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

saintm

Juniors
If Matt Dufty's Manager is really looking for mega dollars he will open the door for recruitment considering several other full back options including:

Widdop
Herbert
Lomax
Field

Big mistake on young Dufty's part if his agent is pressing for unreasonable dollars.

His defence, positional play, and ability catching the high ball still very much a work in progress.

The Club could very easily re-shape the spine by playing:

1: Widdop/Herbert/Field/Lomax
6 Widdop/Mann/Field
7 Hunt/Mann
9 McInnes/Robson/Hunt

The Point is, our club has options.
Don’t believe everything you read...I have it on authority that article is pure bullshit

Gareth67

First Grade
Here’s a most interesting rumour - straight from Sunday’s Tele . According to the story James Maloney may not see out his contract with the Panthers , as the rumor is that he and the young gun Nathan Cleary relationship is not so cosy ?

Phil Gould will move heaven and earth to ensure that Cleary remains at the Panthers and , once again according to the Tele. he is monitoring the ‘ situation ‘ .

Now about Maloney , every club he has been to has reaped the benefits of his talents and mind set ( which is similar to our James Graham ) and , IMO would well be worth signing . Once again this is only a rumor at this stage , but he is one player that would certainly get our back line moving .

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Other clubs already interested...Warriors ar4e the concern....its not always black and white..(no pun intended )...They have to find a pathway for him and a lot of that falls on the coach...

I'm not confident he is staying...maybe Dragonsamy has heard something recent as my info is from a while ago.

We have made an offer so have warriors not sure if anyone else is involved.
Not signed anywhere.
Hope he stays

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We have made an offer so have warriors not sure if anyone else is involved.
Not signed anywhere.
Hope he stays

I hope he stays too Ds61, but where does he fit in? that's the question.
No doubt he wants to play 1st grade and he should have at least been given an opportunity if even from the bench. But as I said where does he fit into the 1st grade squad for 2019.

And before any jumps down my throat, I'm certain McGregor will be our coach next year so:

Dufty will be fullback
Nene, Lomax, Mann and Periera (if he's re-signed......btw any word on this?) will be the choice wingers
Aitken, Lafai, Mann and Lomax will be the choice centres.

Unless an injury to Dufty I cant find a position for him even though he could slot in any of these positions.
Personally, I think he'd have to wait until 2020/21 to get his shot at the Dragons. But the same argument could be put forward to where he would fit in at the Warriors? Only for the fact he is a Kiwi, that may sway his mind imo.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
No doubt he wants to play 1st grade and he should have at least been given an opportunity if even from the bench. But as I said where does he fit into the 1st grade squad for 2019.

And before any jumps down my throat, I'm certain McGregor will be our coach next year so:

Dufty will be fullback
Nene, Lomax, Mann and Periera (if he's re-signed......btw any word on this?) will be the choice wingers

Unless an injury to Dufty I cant find a position for him even though he could slot in any of these positions.
Personally, I think he'd have to wait until 2020/21 to get his shot at the Dragons. But the same argument could be put forward to where he would fit in at the Warriors? Only for the fact he is a Kiwi, that may sway his mind imo.

I understand what you are saying but as a back up that can play anywhere in the backline.He has play everywhere expect number 7 this year.
FB is his spot and great back up for when dufty injured or when lomax is moved to fb then herbert to the centres.
No news re JP we have a couple of good kids coming in sani and saab but they are a few year away.
Not sure how warriors recruitment is going re needing a centre /fb.
Ill see what I can find out re jp this week.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Dufty will be fullback

fits in at centre, Lomax / Herbert should be our starting centre's next year..

BLN2

Juniors
Sounds possible the Warriors being interested - Anthony Gelling is heading back to the UK, so could be a straight swap. Blake Ashyford is probably keen to try his hand elsewhere I'd say, has fallen out of favour. I'm sure they'd let him go if he got a deal in the UK. Kata/Beale/Hiku are relatively set for the centres, although I'd say none are dead certs to hold their roles over the off season. Kata has limited passing ability (or none), Beale is injury prone and Hiku doesn't like tackling too much.

We don't seem to have many young centres who I know of coming through ATM.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Sounds possible the Warriors being interested - Anthony Gelling is heading back to the UK, so could be a straight swap. Blake Ashyford is probably keen to try his hand elsewhere I'd say, has fallen out of favour. I'm sure they'd let him go if he got a deal in the UK. Kata/Beale/Hiku are relatively set for the centres, although I'd say none are dead certs to hold their roles over the off season. Kata has limited passing ability (or none), Beale is injury prone and Hiku doesn't like tackling too much.

We don't seem to have many young centres who I know of coming through ATM.

We'll take one of your wingers off your hands if you like ;)

Slippery Morris

First Grade
That is why when an outside back becomes available from another club and people on this forum want Saints to sign up it does my head in as there are so many juniors chomping at the bit to play first grade and you can tell will be quality players. That is one position Saints have good depth. If anything Saints need forwards depth.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
That is why when an outside back becomes available from another club and people on this forum want Saints to sign up it does my head in as there are so many juniors chomping at the bit to play first grade and you can tell will be quality players. That is one position Saints have good depth. If anything Saints need forwards depth.

Agree slippery.
A good nrl standard prop would be good.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Here’s a most interesting rumour - straight from Sunday’s Tele . According to the story James Maloney may not see out his contract with the Panthers , as the rumor is that he and the young gun Nathan Cleary relationship is not so cosy ?

Phil Gould will move heaven and earth to ensure that Cleary remains at the Panthers and , once again according to the Tele. he is monitoring the ‘ situation ‘ .

Now about Maloney , every club he has been to has reaped the benefits of his talents and mind set ( which is similar to our James Graham ) and , IMO would well be worth signing . Once again this is only a rumor at this stage , but he is one player that would certainly get our back line moving .

I thought the talk was he’s retiring or that next season is his last?

Gareth67

First Grade
I thought the talk was he’s retiring or that next season is his last?

Mate , I wasn’t aware of that myself , however you could be right . It just that he still has another 2 years remaining on his contract. Being a back and not a forward , he would still have the stamina to continue on playing if that was indeed what he wanted to do . IMO would be a great buy as he definitely still has the footy ‘ smarts ‘ and heart to continue .

Latest posts