What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

hewi

Bench
Delivering and good on him.

FROM FOXS SPORTS

Who will replace Zac Lomax on the wing for the Dragons next season? Club legend Jason Nightingale recently told the Fox League Podcast that Savelio Tamale could be in the mix and now the 19-year-old has put forward a pretty compelling case.

Tamale scored a try, set up another, got two linebreaks, seven tackle busts and ran 223 metres in the Dragons’ win over the Rabbitohs.

When asked by Fox League if he’s working towards filling Lomax’s position, Tamale said: “Yeah 100 per cent. I’m just trying to play good footy in Cup and hopefully get the chance to play NRL soon.”

Don't you just love Buzz Rothfield - "You have to feel for Brayden Trindall" having to sit on the sidelines and watch his team smash Melbourne. Buzz makes it feel as though Trindall is the victim.
Buzz is the master of agenda reporting. Had this been a Dragons/Tigers/Dogs player - he wouldn't have been as generous in his summation. It would have been a continuous story on NRL 360.
Also with the Sharks on top of the ladder where are the plethora of stories spruiking the talents of some of their younger players. None if any - reason - he doesn't want to promote them and make it harder for the Sharks to resign them.
Never underestimate the power of media and journalists - they have and always will control the narrative.
I don't think clubs read Buzz's column to find out which young players they should try to recruit.

TheRev

First Grade
Delivering and good on him.

FROM FOXS SPORTS

Who will replace Zac Lomax on the wing for the Dragons next season? Club legend Jason Nightingale recently told the Fox League Podcast that Savelio Tamale could be in the mix and now the 19-year-old has put forward a pretty compelling case.

Tamale scored a try, set up another, got two linebreaks, seven tackle busts and ran 223 metres in the Dragons’ win over the Rabbitohs.

When asked by Fox League if he’s working towards filling Lomax’s position, Tamale said: “Yeah 100 per cent. I’m just trying to play good footy in Cup and hopefully get the chance to play NRL soon.”
I saw that article and got super excited.. then saw it was just ol'Tamale.. we have room for a proper marquee back, dunno if itll be a centre or wing recruited externally (someone like Averillo even though that might be a b/s rumour.. but someone with legit speed or something "x-factor")..

Tamale despite his defensive issues (which are less of an issue on the wing), im totally fine for him to get injury spots in 1st grade instead of CTui, butonly if he is re-signing, otherwise someone else can do the blooding.

I guess im glad we have CTui in terms of an extra back in our 30.. I mean look at other clubs injury tolls.. we have been super lucky.. but I also dont rly like having CTui in our system cause I dont think hes a huge upgrade over SFinau/Tamale, but he just has more experience.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
The first one Lomax sees the kick go through and pauses that fraction of a second waiting for Bird to clean it up, a bit more urgency and he'd beat Latrell to the ball.
The second - he's too far infield - for no reason - and ITT beats him on the outside easily (also a speed issue with Zac).
The third, again Zac is infield for no reason (no faith in Bird ?) and should have been wider to mark his opposite (the same guy who beat him on the outside earlier) - he would have been in a position to fall on the deflected kick - it would have been almost in his lap, instead ITT gets to it first to kick it for Latrell. Sloan should have covered it too but that's a different issue and after the fact.
Add to that the fatigue of taking unnecessary 2nd and 3rd tackle hitups in the middle of the field over and over would sap his energy and slow his reaction time.
- I mean, he pauses due to Bird having it covered. What happens if he races in like you wanted him to and they collide?
- Bit harsh on the speed thing, all wingers are getting beaten there.
- it's wild people are going on about taking unnecessary hit ups. The issue with Lomax previously was that he didn't get involved enough, now he's too involved? Sorry, who do we want taking these "unnecessary" hitups? The forwards? I think we're a much better side for getting our big outside backs taking more runs, leaving our middles with more energy to defend.
- I'm much happier if we concede in the corner than our ruck and middle being blown apart, so I'm all for Lomax getting involved and doing so.

All in all, that's super harsh on Lomax. First our ruck gets blown apart and people complain. We fix that with the backs taking more runs, now they are doing unnecessary runs. Can we win at all, or does our fanbase have a desperate need to complain about every little thing? There's so many things to complain about fairly with the club right now, I really don't think this is a valid one.

since77

Juniors
- I mean, he pauses due to Bird having it covered. What happens if he races in like you wanted him to and they collide?
- it's wild people are going on about taking unnecessary hit ups. The issue with Lomax previously was that he didn't get involved enough, now he's too involved? Sorry, who do we want taking these "unnecessary" hitups? The forwards? I think we're a much better side for getting our big outside backs taking more runs, leaving our middles with more energy to defend.
- I'm much happier if we concede in the corner than our ruck and middle being blown apart, so I'm all for Lomax getting involved and doing so.

All in all, that's super harsh on Lomax. First our ruck gets blown apart and people complain. We fix that with the backs taking more runs, now they are doing unnecessary runs. Can we win at all, or does our fanbase have a desperate need to complain about every little thing? There's so many things to complain about fairly with the club right now, I really don't think this is a valid one.
There's been a few dedicated Lomax haters on here for years that are struggling to admit he's actually in career best form. I think it physically hurts them to give him any positive recognition.
While I'm annoyed at how he's leaving at years end, I must admit I'm getting a few chuckles watching the Lomax bashers who can't seem to cope with admitting that at his best, he is a heck of a player.

Mojo

Bench
There's been a few dedicated Lomax haters on here for years that are struggling to admit he's actually in career best form. I think it physically hurts them to give him any positive recognition.
While I'm annoyed at how he's leaving at years end, I must admit I'm getting a few chuckles watching the Lomax bashers who can't seem to cope with admitting that at his best, he is a heck of a player.
I don't love him or dislike him as a player, and he's been a great club man. I'd like him to stay but the thing is he has always seemed capable of something better. Even at his current best, if he had that little bit extra, he'd be a freak. I've been waiting to see it emerge for years. In the centres, with a good partner inside him, he could be magic. I'd love to see him making powerful line breaks and long runs. I'm pining for Gasnier and Cooper. Imagine Lomax paired with one of those guys. He's never had that.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I don't love him or dislike him as a player, and he's been a great club man. I'd like him to stay but the thing is he has always seemed capable of something better. Even at his current best, if he had that little bit extra, he'd be a freak. I've been waiting to see it emerge for years. In the centres, with a good partner inside him, he could be magic. I'd love to see him making powerful line breaks and long runs. I'm pining for Gasnier and Cooper. Imagine Lomax paired with one of those guys. He's never had that.

Agree Mojo.

Shane identified his best position at the moment is wing. Still seems very odd after him saying he's a team man, has no issue with the coach which you can believe then, signs with Parra.

What's done is done, and he's still running around in the V for the rest of the year giving his best.

Both Gas and Coops has speed to burn, don't know if Parra's play can get him in a position to improve that but we will see next year.

Colin Best was on the spot most times with a great combination with an elite centre.

kit66

Bench

You can try to spin your way out of it but my points are valid - a better player stops at least two of those tries. You should have used the "he's not used to playing wing yet" argument, that would have more merit than unconvincing excuses.

kit66

Bench

I don't hate Lomax, I think he's an overpaid prima donna who refuses to listen and learn - hence his ongoing weaknesses (and silly performance with the Hunt refusal to challenge last week)- but I don't hate him at all, I've given him heaps of support over the years. I've actually been waiting for him to finally show what he's capable of and I'm happy he's almost there. It took a tough, smart coach to get the best out of him though and if Hook was still coach Zac would still be average or worse, even you must concede that. My criticism of him has been justifiable - his terrible error rate for example, his no look passes (finally put to bed). I've always been happy with his defence and overall effort but again I think criticizing him for contributing to Souths 3 tries down his wing (or more accurately not doing enough to stop them) is justifiable - and explained in an earlier post. I don't hate him, I wish he was staying and others were going instead to be honest.

steerlerbab

Juniors
So Ponga has not been paid his $250k third party deal and it is Ponga's father who has complained to NRL and this is amidst runours that Roosters are after him and guess what NRL Salary cap auditors are investigating.

I won't be surprised if Ponga ends up at Roosters for $100k less and then he claims I am going to Roosters to win the comp.

Let;s wait and see.

KingFlanno7

Juniors
I might sound crazy. But i dont think debelin gets signed up for 2025. There must be a push from up top with flanno at the wheel, we need a complete refresh of what the dragons are. Imagine if Debelin ends up our most capped player. This is a new age, noone will forget what debelin did. After all the remorse and good doing, He hid under the fkn bed at the bbq, honestly if flanno decides to really take control and move in a different direction then i respect that, he obviously has to fall on the sword if it doesnt work so im backing him and im pissed off about debelin even saying his frustrated in the paper, obvious plot and for that i say good riddens. If he wanted to be a dragon he wouldnt of even mentioned being frustrated, take the pay cut or goodbye. Guarantee flannos plan will trump anything lomax and debelin do in the next few years. Finally someone with balls and doesnt mind hurting feelings if it weeds out the weak.

denis preston

First Grade
Tha
I might sound crazy. But i dont think debelin gets signed up for 2025. There must be a push from up top with flanno at the wheel, we need a complete refresh of what the dragons are. Imagine if Debelin ends up our most capped player. This is a new age, noone will forget what debelin did. After all the remorse and good doing, He hid under the fkn bed at the bbq, honestly if flanno decides to really take control and move in a different direction then i respect that, he obviously has to fall on the sword if it doesnt work so im backing him and im pissed off about debelin even saying his frustrated in the paper, obvious plot and for that i say good riddens. If he wanted to be a dragon he wouldnt of even mentioned being frustrated, take the pay cut or goodbye. Guarantee flannos plan will trump anything lomax and debelin do in the next few years. Finally someone with balls and doesnt mind hurting feelings if it weeds out the weak.
that’s all well & good if we were or are successful in our recruitment but we are not. He is currently with Sua our best forward. If the coach is doing a complete refresh why have the Couchmans not been given a go to see if they are potential Debellin replacements. If we can’t sign a like for like replacement this just doesn’t make sense. This along with the Sua stalling is actually scary for the club’s fortunes next season.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I don’t think we are playing nearly at our capacity as yet….. even though we have been regenerating our list with the new 8 players for 2024 season already playing FG for us and we are 5/10 games so far.

I suspect we are still after a couple players for 2024 season let alone 2025……and the below players could be released at anytime as long as we have an incoming to make up the 30 required on the list (as long as before June 30).

fafita
Tuitavake
BMM
Fegai
Fegai
Russell

Development is happening:

we are starting both Couchmans as props this week in NSW Cup ahead of a couple older players like BMM, Tuitavake, Fafita etc.

That is two boys 20yrs of age, 188cms ish. 100kg. That is intense development for light lean young props which the Couchmans are still. Both have started most of the season in their respective positions. Egan, Tamale, Sione also getting stacks of NSW cup starting time in 2024 hich is great development for young guys.

8. Toby Couchman

10. Ryan Couchman

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I heard recently that Cody Ramsey and Allan at the same time were moved out of the top30. I new that for Allan but was not aware for Ramsey?

Spots Available: NIL

• Alec Tuitavake
  • Ben Hunt
  • Ben Murdoch-Masila
  • Blake Lawrie
  • Christian Tuipolotu*
  • Dan Russell
  • Fa'amanu Brown*
  • Francis Molo
  • Hame Sele*
  • Jack de Belin
  • Jack Bird
  • Jacob Liddle
  • Jaydn Su'A
  • Jesse Marschke*
  • Kyle Flanagan*
  • Luciano Leilua*
  • Mat Feagai
  • Max Feagai
  • Michael Molo
  • Mikaele Ravalawa
  • Moses Suli
  • Raymond Faitala-Mariner*
  • Ryan Couchman
  • Sav Tamale
  • Sione Finau
  • Toby Couchman
  • Tom Eisenhuth*
  • Tyrell Sloan
  • Viliami Fifita
  • Zac Lomax
Supplementary players: Connor Muhleisen, Corey Ackers, Dylan Egan, Hamish Stewart, Jackson Shereb, Josh Coric

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
JDB has an offer on the table.. its just not the money (or length) he was after..

We managed to sign Frank Molo which was a good get, cause anytime anyone is going well at our club, the piranahs circle.. but I think it cost us 2 Top30 spots to do it..

JDB is really one of our best and more reliable props... with a low injury rate, and we will get him a bit cheaper cause no other nrl sides will take a punt on him (atleast thats what we assume.. and I reckon his price is part of that hesitation for other clubs).

Anyway, I think we can sign Jack and still sign another big prop (if we can find 1), id be happy to release Lawrie, Fifita, MMolo, or tbh probably one of the younger kids if we could get an alpha prop.. I think we can easily carry Sele, Frank, JDB + 'Alpha' in our squad. But the chances of us finding that 'Alpha' is slim given how hard Gould and co are finding it.. and would still need to beat those clubs out.. if indeed one was even on the market to start with.