What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

First Grade
I am a big Sione Finau fan if i haven't made that clear. We keep trying to sign big name talented athletes when we have one in our own backyard who just needs to be coached right. Thanks for the update re Tamales regression too Rev with his footwork. Someone needs to tell him to stop that then, maybe it's an old habit he's having trouble breaking. I'd rather Bird just not play at all to be honest with you but we all know that isn't happening. I agree re Matt F. Going ok at fullback, but I didn't know about Max going ok because the stats show a diff story (I don't watch the ressies games) but if you say he can do a decent job in firsts on the wing, I believe you. Thanks for your updates Rev
I hear ya, and I havent ruled out SFinau as a longer term investment, I dont think if we needed a win next week.. that id pick him over Ravalawa, but I think hes ready enough to be injury fill-in for first grade and see how he goes.

But the kids that excite me are Williams and BRumble.. those are potential wingers who bring the basics + potentially game breaking brilliance or speed.. but these are 2yrs behind Finau..

But none of that rly helps next week if its a centre we need to replace.. maybe Bird & Lomax are our centres.. and whoever you like on the wing..

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I hear ya, and I havent ruled out SFinau as a longer term investment, I dont think if we needed a win next week.. that id pick him over Ravalawa, but I think hes ready enough to be injury fill-in for first grade and see how he goes.

But the kids that excite me are Williams and BRumble.. those are potential wingers who bring the basics + potentially game breaking brilliance or speed.. but these are 2yrs behind Finau..

But none of that rly helps next week if its a centre we need to replace.. maybe Bird & Lomax are our centres.. and whoever you like on the wing..
Good points Rev mate. Also what are your thoughts on Ben Johnson?

TheRev

First Grade
Good points Rev mate. Also what are your thoughts on Ben Johnson?
Good question.. I am also curious cause they moved Tamale to fit him at left ctr.. but I actually think it might be because they want to see Tamale on the wing.. cant be sure.. Johnson seems 'fine' but im not sure if they are serious about him or not yet.. and also not sure how quickly Buchanan is gonna come up in that position.

I actually just checked and they have NSW Cup coverage again this weekend, definitely gonna be good to see him go around again.
With Suli out for the mandatory 11 days, I think Lomax will go back into the centres, and Finau will come in on the wing v Sharks.
I think Bird could handle left ctr.. so Bird+Tui and lomax+Rava seems the obvious combo... Finau would be next in though if Rava isnt fit etc.

TheRev

First Grade
I just read Turuva signed with Tigers! Interesting. Until recently it was Panthers, us or knights.
3yrs @ 1.3mill it says.. 433k per year.. I think we were @450k wing, 600k fback? ffs.. should have given him a flat 550k or made him choose money over his cousins... he was perfect for providing coverage for Sloan if not our starting fullback.. and a proper winger..

Its not the games like today that bother me... I knew it was going to be a tough year... its the players we miss that mean 2025 is the same again... we have to keep finding randoms now.. guys like Brown.. coin flip type signings..

St Tangles

Bench
3yrs @ 1.3mill it says.. 433k per year.. I think we were @450k wing, 600k fback? ffs.. should have given him a flat 550k or made him choose money over his cousins... he was perfect for providing coverage for Sloan if not our starting fullback.. and a proper winger..

Its not the games like today that bother me... I knew it was going to be a tough year... its the players we miss that mean 2025 is the same again... we have to keep finding randoms now.. guys like Brown.. coin flip type signings..
We were 400K wing but agree we should of just went 450 to 500k straight up

thebigredv

First Grade
We could have done well to get Turuva for 500k a season. All those saying they weren't bothered by missing out haven't bothered to say who we should sign.

Jack Bird should be being phased out of our team too if we are serious about having strike in our team. That leaves our down two starting backs, not to mention our lack of cover for Sloan.

Sure, there will be other players but will they fit out needs and our timeline?

Good question.. I am also curious cause they moved Tamale to fit him at left ctr.. but I actually think it might be because they want to see Tamale on the wing.. cant be sure.. Johnson seems 'fine' but im not sure if they are serious about him or not yet.. and also not sure how quickly Buchanan is gonna come up in that position.

I actually just checked and they have NSW Cup coverage again this weekend, definitely gonna be good to see him go around again.

I think Bird could handle left ctr.. so Bird+Tui and lomax+Rava seems the obvious combo... Finau would be next in though if Rava isnt fit etc.
I think Lomax will fill in at left centre. CT left win, Rava right wing, Bird right centre.

thebigredv

First Grade
If you watched the game yesterday it should be obvious. Big hard ferocious front rowers should be the number 1 priority. No point at all buying a winger if the forwards can't muscle up.
Yeah I watched the game and watched the Roosters backs run rings around us as well. The front row is crucial and we need an aggressive, big prop no doubt. Also need a good backline to capitalise on what the forwards do.